Man Charged With Selling Skull on EBay

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
Youthful indiscretion and the power of EBay have landed a Huntington Beach man in hot water with the feds.

Thirty-five years ago, Jerry David Hasson, 55, found a prehistoric skull in the sands of Hawaii; today he faces up to five years in prison and a possible $250,000 fine for allegedly violating the federal Archaeological Resources Protection Act by selling the skull on EBay.

"These are the ancestors of our native Hawaiians," said Assistant U.S. Atty. William Carter, who is prosecuting the case. "All of these remains are part of our historical and cultural heritage, and we have to preserve them for the [native] people and for ourselves."

Hasson could not be reached for comment.

According to authorities, Hasson said he found the skull while he and Charlton Heston's son Fraser were living on Maui during the 1969 filming of "The Hawaiians," a feature film starring the elder Heston and in which Hasson played a bit part.

One day, Hasson said, he and two friends, including Fraser Heston, decided to explore a guarded archeological site on Kaanapali Beach.

"Being a teenager, I along with some friends … decided to sneak over late one night and see what we could find," Hasson wrote in an EBay ad he posted this year.

"While digging in the sand, we began to uncover an entire skeleton and, of course, I decided to keep the skull. For the last 35 years, I've kept this 200-year-old Hawaiian Warrior as a souvenir of my youth but now it's time to give him to the highest bidder."

http://www.latimes.com/news/custom/showcase/la-me-skull9sep09.story

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back