Man Arrested After Leaving Small Tip

Yikes :eek: we should add this to the thread Otis started on tipping!

hi my! i worked the restaurant trade for 12 years way back when. cook, busboy, waiter, manager and there are some very obnoxious people. on the other hand i've been in some restaurants where the service or food have been very poor. but to be cited for not tipping? need a good lawyer to sort this one out and i think geragos missed his calliing. mg's talents are best utilized in either tipping or maybe traffic court. jmo.

The resturant should have had the 18% charge on the menu for a party of 6 and over, when it's in writing they wouldn't have a leg to stand on. Most people know this though. There are some pretty cheap people out there and many complain only after they ate their meal. I have been in the food and beverage business for many years and you do see all kinds, boy the stories I could tell.

I hate going to eat, having a bad food and bad service and being gouged with a 15-18% mandatory tip.

We went out to eat the other night and the waiter was actually wearing a ball cap, bagging jeans drooping halfway down his Joe Boxers and had the verbal skills of a gerbil. The beer was warm, the Gumbo was tasteless and when the $65 dollar check came with a mandatory 18% for a twotop I was pissed. It gives establishment owners no incentive to hire competent waitstaff.

A tip is a TIP, not a requirement. If it was a requirement, it would be a line item on the bill. If it was a line item on the bill, and it was not paid, then I could see an issue.

But even at that, a tip is a gift or a sum of money tendered for a service performed or anticipated, also known as gratuity-something given voluntarily or beyond obligation usually for some service. None of those definitions say it is required.

I usually tip 20%+ for good service, but if there is a required tip, I either don't go there, or tip EXACTLY the amount they require. I completely understand the reason behind it, but if you don't like being a waiter or waitress, don't do it.

Well, its been stipulated that people can't sue the fast food industry for making them fat. So it would appear that restaurants can't sue patrons who don't tip. What's good for the goose....

what codswollop...if we could arrest for obnoxiousness the streets would be as empty as duval st. in key west tonight....he has a false arrest cause of action. what did he violate, a city ordinance? i'd tell him to give back the food.

Man, who faced up to 1 year in jail for not tipping enough, gets a reprieve

LAKE GEORGE, N.Y. (AP) - Charges have been dropped against a man arrested in a restaurant for not leaving a big enough tip.

After researching the case against Humberto Taveras, authorities said Monday that he cannot be forced to pay a gratuity. Taveras, 41, was charged Sept. 5 with misdemeanour theft of services after he and fellow diners argued with managers at Soprano's Italian and American Grill over a required 18 per cent tip for large parties. Taveras had said he was not completely satisfied with the restaurant's food and left a tip of less than 10 per cent.

"I'm glad someone came to their senses up there," said Taveras, who faced up to a year in jail. "Now I can tell my kids, 'Daddy's not a crook.' "

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/WeirdNews/2004/09/14/629340-ap.html

'I'm glad someone came to their senses up there," said Taveras, who faced up to a year in jail. "Now I can tell my kids, 'Daddy's not a crook.' daddy's a tight wad."

if the tip (to insure promptness) % is on the menu, you pay the tip. tell the manager why you are dissatisfied. if the manager still holds you to the tip, (customers are always right,{most of the time}, never go back !

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back