GUILTY CO - Caden Rodgers, 2, dies of head trauma, Aurora, 4 Jan 2011

DairyGirl

Reaction score
This brought tears to my eyes. God bless that pilot.

An Arizona family is praising a Southwest Airlines pilot who held a Tucson-bound plane in Los Angeles for 12 minutes to wait for a passenger trying to get to a hospital to say his goodbyes to his 2½ -year-old grandson, who was about to be taken off life support.

The child, Caden Rodgers of Aurora, Colorado, was in a Denver hospital, the victim of of child abuse at the hands of his mother's boyfriend, Theodore Madrid, 30, who has since been charged with first-degree murder.

http://news.travel.aol.com/2011/01/...toddler/?icid=maing|main5|dl2|sec1_lnk5|36324

Here is an article about the abuse. Scary mug shot included. Poor Caden.

AURORA, Colo. (AP) – An Aurora man charged with murder in the death of his girlfriend’s 2-year-old son threw the child across a room, likely slamming his head on a bed frame, and waited two hours to call 911, police said.

Theodore Madrid, 30, told police that he was drunk and high on marijuana Jan. 5 when the toddler, Caden Rodgers, was injured, according to an arrest affidavit obtained by The Aurora Sentinel newspaper.

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2011/01/12/man-charged-in-boys-death-waited-to-call-911/

I got one over here too http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ilot-holds-plane-family-murdered-toddler.html

I came over to see if we had a thread already, we dont I guess. My husband was a bit floored at this one and I told him unfortunately aside from the kindness of the pilot, this isnt a weird or unusual story....let's see,

1. live in boyfriend? check.
2. drugs? check
3. alcohol? check.
4. perp who claims they only dropped the baby, or the baby fell down the stairs, or only played too rough with the baby, or only gave the baby a bath? check.
5. mother who claims to have never seen a moment's violence from perp? check.

:(

I am feeling helpless that this will never end... I live 60 miles from Aurora, and this wasn't even a story on my news.... All too common I guess :( :sick: I am glad the pilot did what he did, there are a few people left in this world that care!

I just listened to an interview with the stepgrandma and it was sure sad. Not sure how widely this has been reported, but one of the TSA agents laughed when Mark tried to get expedited through the line. "Dying grandson? that's a new one" But the pilot made up for it that is for sure.
Nancy said she does not know who alerted the pilot because she did NOT call anyone.
Sad story with a bit of an uplift in the pilot's actions.
When Mark thanked the pilot, the pilot said, They can't go anywhere without me, and I am not going anywhere without you.

I read this story with great interest, I thought the pilot was definitely a ''class act''. While one might argue that his desire to remain anonymous could be a CYA moment, I believe, the pilot did not wish to distract from the somber reason for assisting this passenger.

It's not a CYA moment I don't think. They're allowed to expedite passengers with emergencies through and they're allowed to hold planes as well. I don't know for how long though ... I think it's up to the pilot really (& air traffic control obviously). Someone else in that airport needs to be thanked too - whoever witnessed the first TSA agent being rude and alerted the pilot - might've been another agent who just picked up the phone or even another passenger who got on before him ...

The last I heard they still don't know if the pilot wants to be named. The family is waiting to see if he will tell them his name. He is flying right now and when he comes back they may or may not find out. I think this guy made his own decision when he heard circumstances and in the interview Nancy was told this is his style all the way and he is a great, kind person.

I remember reading the article through a link from one of my news services. How sad was it that I was MORE shocked at the plan being held than at the child being murdered?:banghead:

Madrid faces first-degree murder charge in death of girlfriend's child

AURORA | After a frustrated Theodore Madrid threw his girlfriend’s 2-year-old son across a room, likely slamming the boy’s head on a bed frame, he waited more than two hours to call 911 because he was afraid of being in trouble, according to an arrest affidavit filed against Madrid.

snip

In the five-page arrest affidavit, police said Madrid told them he was drunk and high on marijuana Jan. 5 and caused Caden’s injuries.
“Madrid stated he was responsible for the injuries Caden suffered that evening and thinks it was a result of his alcohol consumption and being frustrated,” Aurora police crimes against children Detective Chris Fanning wrote.

Much much more at link:
http://www.aurorasentinel.com/email_push/news/article_12b5f1de-1dae-11e0-b093-001cc4c03286.html

Madrid faces first-degree murder charge in death of girlfriend's child

AURORA | After a frustrated Theodore Madrid threw his girlfriend’s 2-year-old son across a room, likely slamming the boy’s head on a bed frame, he waited more than two hours to call 911 because he was afraid of being in trouble, according to an arrest affidavit filed against Madrid.

snip

In the five-page arrest affidavit, police said Madrid told them he was drunk and high on marijuana Jan. 5 and caused Caden’s injuries.
“Madrid stated he was responsible for the injuries Caden suffered that evening and thinks it was a result of his alcohol consumption and being frustrated,” Aurora police crimes against children Detective Chris Fanning wrote.

Much much more at link:
http://www.aurorasentinel.com/email_push/news/article_12b5f1de-1dae-11e0-b093-001cc4c03286.html

With all the (rightfully) bad publicity all Airlines gets much of the time, this pilot has renewed my faith in humans for the moment. May he and his family be blessed ten fold for his kindness.

This poor little tot. I seldom drink but I know plenty of people who do - not one, ever threw a child across the room, never. While I understand that alcohol and drugs raise the chance of bad things happening - it pizzes me off to see it used as an excuse. Little Caden should not have been left in his care, but since he was this POC should have acted like a responsible adult, not a child having a temper tantrum. So very sad for his family.

I got one over here too http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ilot-holds-plane-family-murdered-toddler.html

I came over to see if we had a thread already, we dont I guess. My husband was a bit floored at this one and I told him unfortunately aside from the kindness of the pilot, this isnt a weird or unusual story....let's see,

1. live in boyfriend? check.
2. drugs? check
3. alcohol? check.
4. perp who claims they only dropped the baby, or the baby fell down the stairs, or only played too rough with the baby, or only gave the baby a bath? check.
5. mother who claims to have never seen a moment's violence from perp? check.

:(

ahhhhh not again :(

From October 2012:

http://www.aurorasentinel.com/news/madrid-convicted-of-murder/

An Arapahoe County jury has convicted Ted Madrid of all the counts against him — including first-degree murder — for the 2011 slaying of his girlfriend’s 2-year-old son.

The verdict means a mandatory sentence of life in prison without the possibility of parole for Madrid, 32. He was also convicted of two counts of child abuse resulting in death.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back