301,000.00$ deposited into the wrong man's Account

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
MIDDLETOWN, Conn. (AP) - The company that owns the Chicago Cubs and the Hartford Courant are battling a former newspaper carrier to get back the last of $301,000 it accidentally gave to him instead of a baseball player with the same name.

The Tribune Co. money that was meant for Mark Guthrie, the relief pitcher, was sent to the bank account of Mark Guthrie, the Courant deliveryman, in three payments, the final one made last October. Five weeks later the Cubs realized the error, and the team took back $275,000 before Guthrie froze his account.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/WeirdNews/2004/09/10/624007-ap.html

I hope he has the money in a high interest account. he will probably have to give the money back eventually, but he could drag this out and if invested wisely, should make some money on this. He does have some grounds. He didn't do anything illegeal to force them to give him the money, they gave him the money of their own free will, and just because they made an error, they should not be able to take the money out of his account. wonder if I should send them my account number if they would make the same mistake twice? I wonder if there is any legal precedent on this? If you "accidently give money to someone, can you then legally get it back?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back