Facebook prank ends with two teens arrested for cyberbullying

daisy7

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
ESTERO — Two Estero High School teens were arrested Wednesday, charged with cyber bullying a classmate after officials learned of a fake Facebook account with sexually explicit photos.

It is believed to be the first time a law enacted in 2008 and named after a Cape Coral teen who committed suicide after being bullied online, has been used in the area.

The two girls, Taylor Wynn, 16, of the 22000 block of Seashore Circle, and McKenzie Barker, 15, of the 9800 block of Springlake Circle, each face a charge of aggravated stalking of a minor younger than 16.

“The case came through detention hearings today,” said Samantha Syoen, a State’s Attorney’s Office spokeswoman. The girls were ordered to have 21 days home detention and will be arraigned Feb. 8.

The investigation began on April 29 when a parent told a school resource officer about a Facebook account, which contained inappropriate, sexually explicit pictures and statements about the victim, according to a Lee County Sheriff’s Office report. The account had 181 “friends.” Officials could not confirm whether the victim still attends the school.

The school resource officer, Deputy Allen Thierer, spoke with several students including the victim, who said she did not make the account and initially thought it would “go away.” But the victim was “subjected to numerous incidents of teasing and ridicule for an ongoing period of time as a result ...,” Thierer reported.

(snip)

much more here http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2011/jan/13/facebook-prank-naked-teens-girls-estero/

Smoking Gun Excerpt:

JANUARY 13--Two Florida girls are facing cyberstalking charges for allegedly creating a fake Facebook profile in the name of a fellow high school student and placing obscene photos on the page, including one showing their classmate’s head atop the body of a “nude prepubescent girl’s body,” according to investigators.

CNN video

Where are the parents who should be monitoring their kids internet activities? I snooped on my kids and checked their history regularly. My son was banned from the computer for a month when I learned that he and a buddy looked up naked girl pics online when they were 15.

Parents need to wake up from the mindset of 'my little darling wouldn't do such a thing'. They will and they do when unsupervised. All MOO.

wm

well, good that they're being charged & hopefully with the international attention, others will learn a lesson from it

Good. These mean *advertiser censored*s kids work my last nerve.

Their parents? Don't bother, don't care, too busy? Who knows? Make them accountable as well.

My 16-year-old niece goes to the same school as these two girls. She knows them, but isn't friends with them outside of school. I even checked her facebook to make sure she wasn't facebook friends with them.

My niece did end up on the news making a comment about it. :banghead: She didn't say anything wrong, but I just don't like that the news can go on school property and talk to minors about things like this. It could easily have created another case of bullying.

My niece is a smart kid and she has been talked to by her parents, her aunts, and her grandmother about this. I know she would never do anything like this, but talking about it doesn't hurt!

They created child *advertiser censored*...should have to register for life as sex offenders

to bad so sad they shouldnt have done it...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123
Back