Reaction score
The Doe Network:
Case File 1567UMMD
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1567ummd.html
NamUs UP Case 4833 https://identifyus.org/cases/4833

2379874920045078242S600x600Q85.jpg

Reconstruction of Victim

Unidentified White Male

* The victim was discovered on December 6, 1973 in Upper Marlboro, Prince George's County, Maryland

Vital Statistics

* Estimated age: 15-20 years old
* Approximate Height and Weight: 5'0"; 105 lbs.
* Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown hair; brown eyes. Faint mustache.
* Clothing: Blue/gray cotton jacket collar bears initials "ELT"; green sweatshirt; white undershorts; gray and white corduroy trousers; brown belt. Crudely written on left leg of trousers "Shalom" and multi other crude writings on trousers.

Case History
The victim was located in a wooded area on Old Crain Highway near Pennsylvania Avenue in Upper Marlboro, Maryland on December 6, 1973.

He may have been hospitalized in recent days.

This guy, Thomas Allen Meuse just showed up today in CharleyProject.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/meuse_thomas.html

The height is off by a mile, but nevertheless, his facial shape looks quite similar to this John Doe.

meuse_thomas.jpg
2379874920045078242S600x600Q85.jpg

Similar noses, similar widow's peak hairline, similar chin, similar eyebrows.

The ages are consistent.

The initials on the clothing ("ELT") don't match his name, and the "Shalom" notation would suggest that the owner of the pants was Jewish. No indication that TAM was Jewish. But it is entirely possible that he was a runaway and got his clothing from a thrift store.

If you consider the possibility that someone screwed up on the height, this one is completely possible.

The location where this young man was found is just west of Upper Marlboro. Route 301 is called Crain Highway in Maryland, but "Old Crain Highway" is an older 2-lane road which breaks off of 301 and forms a long triangle with it and route 4 (aka Pennsylvania Avenue further north).

This intersection/ exit is still remote and wooded today. Route 4 is/was a divided highway. Old Crain Highway goes across Route 4 as an over pass. You can only get on off route 4 and on to Old Crain when headed south on route 4, and you can only get on Route 4 headed north from the other end of the over pass. So - If we knew what side of the intersection he was found on, we would have an idea possibly of which direction in which he was traveling.

I'm so glad someone posted this!!! I'm going to work on it tomorrow

Okay, I know this is totally impossible, but on October 20, 1973, an 18-year-old with brown hair and brown eyes was last seen leaving a hospital. He's 5'4", which is a bit over the UID's height. Facial resemblance is strong -- even stronger to the morgue photo which I didn't post.

Yeah, I know. Sydney Australia to Upper Marlboro Maryland? Can't be. But.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2251dmnsw.html

Attachments

• 1973 MD namus_4_41A84F.jpg
    1973 MD namus_4_41A84F.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 585
  • MCroaker.jpg
    MCroaker.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 155
I am assuming that the passing reference to possible recent hospitalization has to do with healing IV punctures and perhaps sign of adhesive tape near the site of the IV.

also the "faint mustache" is really peach fuzz. I would venture a guess that he was no older than 16.

I am assuming that the passing reference to possible recent hospitalization has to do with healing IV punctures and perhaps sign of adhesive tape near the site of the IV.

also the "faint mustache" is really peach fuzz. I would venture a guess that he was no older than 16.

That would be about my guess too, and that would fit better with the height.

It would be interesting to know what the other writings on the pants might be.

He bears an amazing resemblance to a guy with whom I play basketball at the gym, except the guy I know has much curlier hair.

Okay, I know this is totally impossible, but on October 20, 1973, an 18-year-old with brown hair and brown eyes was last seen leaving a hospital. He's 5'4", which is a bit over the UID's height. Facial resemblance is strong -- even stronger to the morgue photo which I didn't post.

Yeah, I know. Sydney Australia to Upper Marlboro Maryland? Can't be. But.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2251dmnsw.html

He looks pretty close, but he has a much different nose.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/18dmal.html

Long shot but this boy went missing at a YOUNG age -- but if it IS him, he would have been 19 at the time of the decedent's death.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1270dmpa.html

Another long shot -- would have been 21 at time of decedent's death and probably not as short as him. But, Philly is close to MD and there are similarities in the face.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/894dmca.html

Maybe he ran away with a buddy?

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/460dmtn.html

Maybe he got lost in the woods in TN and ended up in MD? I mean, the Appalachians DO run from TN to VA and VA borders MD.

And that's all I got from the DN.

High School Student?

The site where he was found is not inside or close to a large city, an interstate highway, or bus station, leading me to consider that he is probably from somewhere in the local area.

He is not dressed for the cold December weather, as he probably would be for someone living outdoors, or running away from home for an extended period.

He looks young, like a high school student. There are/were a number of high schools in the area, and it might be that he attended one of them.

Possibilities include: Northern High School in Prince Frederick, MD (south on route 4), Frederick Douglas HS on Croom Road, Forrestville HS (north of the site), Bowie HS (further north east of Upper Marlboro), and Gwynn Park HS in Brandywine (west of the site on 301).

There is also a Youth Detention Facility/Reform School - then called the Boys Village - located in Cheltenham, MD which is very near to Route 301, a few miles due west from where this young man was found. Boys are sent there from all over the state of Maryland. There were also a number of other residential schools in the area for youths with various learning or emotional disabilities. It is quite possible that he was a runaway from such an institution or school.

There is also a Youth Detention Facility/Reform School - then called the Boys Village - located in Cheltenham, MD which is very near to Route 301, a few miles due west from where this young man was found. Boys are sent there from all over the state of Maryland. There were also a number of other residential schools in the area for youths with various learning or emotional disabilities. It is quite possible that he was a runaway from such an institution or school.

I like the Cheltenham theory.... I REALLY like that theory... good find!!!! CH is closed now though, right?

Hospitals

---------------

There is no indication as to what the cause of death was, only a strange statement that he may have been recently hospitalized. Perhaps he died of some sickness while running away from home or hospital. Or perhaps someone dumped his body where it was found.

The nearest hospital to the site would have been Calvert Memorial Hospital located on Route 4 in Prince Frederick, MD (probably about a 25 minute drive south from where the boy was found.

Another hospital is Prince Georges hospital in Clinton, MD - which is located at the corner of Route 5 and Surrattsville Road. This hospital is almost due west of where the boy was found.

I like the Cheltenham theory.... I REALLY like that theory... good find!!!! CH is closed now though, right?

Actually, the facility is still in existance and in full operation.

It was started by the State of Maryland in the 1870's as a "School of Reformation for Negro boys", and has been in continuous operation.

Today it is a detention facility for boys 18 and under (of all races). It is called Cheltenham Youth Facility (CYF) now. For the most part, it is meant to be a temporary incarceration place for minors charged with various crimes and awaiting trial.

Today, there is rather high security with high fences all around, much supervision inside, and with secure gate entrance. Escape or running away from it would be very difficult today.

But, back in 1973, there was much less security at the Boys Village. I do not believe that there was any kind of a fence or gate. The remote location was probably considered enough of a deterrent to any one wanting to run away.

Today, boys detained at CYF wear uniform clothing like khaki pants, white shirts and dark green sweatshirts. White socks and white underwear are also standard. On cold days, jackets and watch caps might be issued.

All personal clothing, belts, shoes, etc are taken from them on entry.

I do not know what clothing was worn back in 1973. Perhaps boys were allowed to wear their own clothing then.

The boys at CYF come from all over the state of Maryland and even from other states at times. Often runaways from other states are detained there until they can be returned to their homes, or placed in foster care.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biff
Back