Dog walker discovers a penny worth thousands

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
LONDON, England (Reuters) -- A routine walk with his dog turned into a profitable excursion for one man, who discovered a 1,200-year-old gold penny during the stroll and now expects to sell it for thousands of pounds.

The coin weighs just 4.33 grams and was discovered on a public footpath beside the River Ivel in Bedfordshire, England. It is the first new Anglo-Saxon gold penny to come to light in nearly a century and the only known gold coin with the name of Coenwulf -- a king who ruled over the central English region of Mercia.

London auctioneers Spink estimate the coin will sell for 120,000-150,000 pounds ($214,100-267,700) when it goes under the hammer in October. But Richard Bishop, an auctioneer at Spink, said the coin's excellent condition might help the price rise beyond the top estimate.

http://edition.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/europe/09/10/britain.coin.reut/index.html

I bet that footpath is getting a lot more traffic now

vicktor said:
Talk about luck! But how did it get there in the first place?
Good Question vicktor... who knows?

I watched a show recently on people in the UK who have metal detectors and go out on weekends checking the countryside.. They find amazing things, like roman bracelets and coins, metal challices etc... makes you want to try it for fun, like a treasure hunt.

I interesting subject this, we are very lucky here in the amount of history that is around us. Every week some guy with ametal detector will turn up stuff going right back to Roman times.

the modern roads we have follow the original Roamn routes pretty much, any search besides these routes will probably turn up something.

I have a couple of 16th century coins that my father and I found in his garden,they are worth about $2!!! His cottage was built around 1570 so I guess whoever dropped them was pretty mad as they were worth about $400 in today's money.

I dont know whether you get this show in the USA but look out for "Time Team"

Hugh said:
I dont know whether you get this show in the USA but look out for "Time Team"
Hi Hugh.. what is Time Team? I have never heard of it. I love British shows though, so fill me in.

It is a show where Archeaologists get 48 hours to investigate a site. last year they uncovered a complete Roman Villa complex on the strength of one coin found by a member of the public.
One wierd thing is the host, Tony Robinson who you will know better as Baldrick from Black Adder

Sounds like a great program Hugh.. I will watch out for it... we love stuff like that in our house.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alicialynne
Back