GUILTY LA - Anna 'Celeste' Lowe, 5, beaten to death, Bossier Parish, 13 Jan 2011

So sad that another beautiful child has met this kind
of fate due to negletful parents and systems.

Poor little sweety. So awful. I hope justice is done.

Based on the comments that followed the article this case will get ugly but regardless of the he said she said they said garbage, this child was in the care and custody of the Lowes. Something caused this child serious abdominal trauma on their watch. No medical care was sought on their watch and at their discretion.

I am glad to hear that mom is getting so much support, I cannot imagine the pain she is facing right now. My prayers are with her.

This happened in my area. In fact, I do know of the mother but do not know her personally. This mother is a good person from what I hear.

I have donated to a fund for this child's funeral. At least she will not have to worry about the expenses.

I am so angry! This is a that has had brushes with the law in the past, as well as battery charges. He was involved with drugs also. He had no business even having visitation privilages, IMO. Now a beautiful little child has lost her life.

What is it going to take to keep children safe?

MOO

thread requested by heartfortruth :hug:

picture.php

The name on her birth certificate was Anna Celeste Lowe.

But the people who knew and loved the 5-year-old, who was one-part tomboy, one-part girlie-girl and 100 percent precocious, called her by her middle name. She was Celeste.

She loved Barbie dolls, mermaids and fairies. She liked to play in the dirt , look at bugs and explore the world around her. She was the center of attention in her family — doted on by her mother, half-sister and half-brother, and grandparents.

"She was an extremely happy child," said Jamie Mercer, Celeste's mother.

Most people know the ending of Celeste's tragic story. Her father and step-mother — Wesley and Catherine Lowe — brought her to a Shreveport hospital Jan. 13 claiming she was suffering from a stomach virus.

But Celeste already had been dead for some two hours and her battered body showed signs of a different story. Among the injuries an autopsy would reveal: Celeste's stomach had been ripped away from her intestines.
Yet, Celeste's story is more than another heartbreaking tale of child abuse. It's the story of a little girl caught in a custody battle. It's the story of an accused mother desperately trying to get her daughter back. And, it's the story of how "the system" appears to have been manipulated to gain the upper hand.

But most of all it's a story of missed opportunities. At most every turn, it seems, the people who Celeste counted on most appeared to have failed her.

much more here

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/arti...leste-Lowe-brings-more-questions-than-answers

=======================

Could Anna Celeste Lowe have been saved?

Soon after interviewing Jamie Mercer and consulting with the Louisiana Department of Social Services, the Ouachita sheriff's office concluded the accusations she was sexually and physically abusing her 5-year-old daughter, Celeste, were unfounded.

Even so, a Bossier Parish hearing officer wanted to see the results of a Social Services investigation before deciding whether Celeste should return to her mother in West Monroe. Until then, Celeste would remain with her father, Wesley Lowe and his then-girlfriend, Catherine "Cat" Murray.

Accordingly, the hearing officer — who recommended granting Lowe's original Sept. 29 application for a temporary restraining order — also endorsed extending the order another four more times, court records show. In all, four Bossier district judges signed five orders between September and December giving Lowe temporary custody of Celeste.

Mercer's attorney, Katy Balsamo, tried to get the order canceled and the case moved to Ouachita Parish, but that effort ultimately fell short. Yet, Mercer was granted supervised visitation with her daughter every other Saturday. She saw Celeste for the only time Oct. 30 at the Louisiana Boardwalk.

Despite a court order, Lowe — who married Murray on Oct. 16 — never let Celeste visit with her mother again.

much more here

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/arti...0320/Could-Anna-Celeste-Lowe-have-been-saved-

:rose: Fly high with your angel wings, little Celeste :rose:

omg this poor sweet child

Pretty little girl I am so sorry you were failed. May you Rest In Peace.

How can our justice system be so blind? RIP dear little girl.

Thank you for starting this thread, Texasmist!

Now more people will know about Anna Celeste Lowe and hold her in their thoughts and honor her short life, at least for a moment.
Till my dying day I will NEVER understand how ANYONE can harm a little child, ANY CHILD, but especially their own!
Thanks again,
HfT

God, not again :( What a beautiful little angel. Rest in peace sweet Celeste.

That was really hard to read. I am so sad for her and her mother and family.

OMG so heartbreaking, RIP Celeste, you are now free!

So sad! Rest in peace precious.

This case is reminding me of the Carly Sawyer case. We have a thread for that case here but I'm on my phone and can't link.

But others say pointing fingers is useless and unfair — social workers, teachers, judges, police and others followed the law. Blame for Celeste's death should rest squarely on the shoulders of the people who hurt her.

"Why do we have to look past where the blame actually lies?" Caddo Assistant District Attorney Hugo Holland asked.

snipped from link http://www.shreveporttimes.com/arti...leste-Lowe-brings-more-questions-than-answers

I'll tell you why Mr. ADA Holland because had the system currently in place not let this child down, including your office, that lovely child may never have been in that position to have been murdered in the first place. The court system and your office allowed this child to be ripped from the one person whose sole interest was in keeping her safe from harm and placed her, by court order no less, in the hands of those who had nothing of the sort in mind.

Shame on everyone involved, but most especially on her father, her stepmother and the unnamed hearing officer and unnamed judges who requested and granted no less than FIVE orders placing and then keeping that child in what turned out to be a deadly situation. That hearing officer, the article reads as if it is the same one over and over, requesting these Orders from different judges, should be fired and I hope to h*77 this baby's mother sues him for every dime he will ever make in a civil action, if that is even allowed.

Lawsuit from mother of 5 y.o. beaten to death now online

Posted: Feb 03, 2012 5:54 AM CST Updated: Feb 03, 2012 9:00 AM CST

BOSSIER PARISH, LA (KSLA) -

KSLA News 12 confirmed overnight that the biological mother of a 5-year-old Bossier Parish girl that was beaten to death in January 2011 is filing a civil lawsuit against the child's father, stepmother and several state agencies.

Jamie Mercer, the mother of Anna Celeste Lowe reportedly filed the suit for damages in Bossier District Court. A .pdf file of the suit detailing the charges against the defendants can be seen here. http://ftpcontent.worldnow.com/ksla/pdf/celestelowpetition.pdf

http://www.ksla.com/story/16668239/new-developments-mother-of-5-yo-beat-to-death-files-suit

So they are saying the stepmother did it??
So if that is the case then of course this father then would be grieving and would have filed for divorce promptly, right?

http://www.ksla.com/story/16668239/new-developments-mother-of-5-yo-beat-to-death-files-suit

Wesley Lowe faces a charge of negligent homicide in his daughter's death.
The stepmother, Catherine Murray Lowe, has already been indicted on 2nd degree murder charges.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prosecutors said the child's stepmother beat Anna Celeste, leaving her with severe trauma.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As the investigation continued, police said it was a strong blow to Anna's stomach that lead to her death and they suspect the child's stepmother delivered that fatal blow.

Thanks for these updates! I live here and haven't heard a thing about the case in months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

November 2012:

Lowe pleaded guilty to manslaughter in the death of Celeste Lowe in January 2011. She had been charged with second-degree murder and would have faced life in prison if convicted on that charge.

Catherine Lowe is to be sentenced Dec. 18 in Benton, the same day her husband, Wesley Lowe, is to go on trial on a charge of negligent homicide.

http://kpel965.com/25-year-sentence...in-her-stepdaughters-death/?trackback=tsmclip

December 2012:

The charge against an Elm Grove man in the death of his 5-year-old daughter has been dropped...

http://battleofourtimes.com/2012/12/11/charge-dropped-against-father-of-murdered-child/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back