2011.01.18.: "Briefcase" found that *may* contain evidence in Zahra Baker case

WhyaDuck?

Inactive
Reaction score
CALDWELL COUNTY, NC (WBTV) – WBTV has learned that a briefcase has been found that may contain possible blood evidence relating to the disappearance of a Hickory girl who was reported missing in October which attracted national and international attention.

A source said the contents appeared to be clothing or some other type of cloth that was possibly stained by blood or some other dark substance.

The briefcase was found deep in the woods beyond the area that had been previously searched by investigators in November.

The items will be sent to the SBI lab in Raleigh to be analyzed. Only then will investigators know for sure if the items relate to the case at all.

Snipped and bolded by me for emphasis.

More at:
http://www.wbtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=13862219

Loggers find items related to Zahra Baker case

CALDWELL COUNTY, N.C. -- Loggers working in Caldwell County Tuesday found a briefcase containing items related to the Zahra Baker case.

The briefcase contained what appeared to be a blanket or clothing related to the 10-year-old who was reported missing in October 2010.

The briefcase was found off Christie Road, which is where investigators found Zahra's prosthetic leg on Oct. 26.

More at:
http://www.wcnc.com/news/local/Loggers-find-items-related-to-Zahra-Baker-case-114150349.html

(Please note that the connection between these items and this case are not officially confirmed, though this article makes it sound like they have been.)

I wish the news links gave some sort of idea as to the proximately of the briefcase find to the bone, prosthetic find location. Christy Road is a pretty long road. One site says "near" but that gives us no idea how near. Another site says deep in wooded area but does not give us a clue how far from the confirmed Zahra related finds nor any idea just how "deep" in the woods this briefcase was. Hoping the updates tonight on these news sites will give more info. Til then I am trying to keep an open mind as to whether I feel this briefcase may be related to Zahra's case.

ETA TY WhyaDuck, your most recent post answered at least one of my questions.

SNIPPED
The prosthesis was found directly across the street from the area where the bag was found.

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/26530132/detail.html

bag and briefcase are two pretty disparate items. Not something I would readily confuse. Perhaps a soft briefcase/laptop type bag was found.

bag and briefcase are two pretty disparate items. Not something I would readily confuse. Perhaps a soft briefcase/laptop type bag was found.

That could be. It is quite odd to mix and match those terms. Though, I have a "messenger bag" type satchel (made of canvass) that I also call my briefcase at times, because it is long enough to fit file folders and I use it for work.

This article is saying "bag" instead of briefcase.

"a bag with a blanket inside of it"

Do we expect anything but conflicting news reports with this case? It's been the status quo since the case began. :(

One site says briefcase with bloody clothing, one site says briefcase with clothing or blanket, one site says bag with blanket. :banghead:

Do we expect anything but conflicting news reports with this case? It's been the status quo since the case began. :(

One site says briefcase with bloody clothing, one site says briefcase with clothing or blanket, one site says bag with blanket. :banghead:

I guess, on the bright side, that might mean LE is doing a good job protecting their information.

par for the course I am afraid. Our hunger for news of any sort on cases like this drives the media to be first rather than right. I am hopeful by this evening the local media will have gotten all their facts right and we will have a better grasp on exactly what was found and how suspicious it is or is not.

Hmmm that weird I would though they would burn the clothes or blanket.

Bag makes more sense than a briefcase, especially if its a blanket. Dont see how much could be put in a briefcase. JMO

Or perhaps one of those all purpose, overnight style bags that people take as carryon on flights, holds laptop but is expandable so that it can also accomodate a change of clothes or toiletries?

I find it odd that someone would go to the trouble to dismember a body potentially to destroy, or at least confuse any evidence, and yet they would put bloody clothes/blankets from the crime into a briefcase/bag and then just toss it out onto the ground??? That's crazy! Why didn't they toss it into one of the dumpsters with the mattress? Why didn't they burn it? In any case, I can't wait to hear what EB has to say about this item.

Who knows, SBI lab may determine it has nothing whatsoever to do with Zahra's case. I do find the proximatey to the location of the prosthetic to be very interesting, but again, we shall have to see what comes from the news tonite and from the lab in weeks to come.

Yes, that's right--people do sometimes refer to soft-sided laptop cases as both a "bag" and a "briefcase".

JMO

How in the world does a blanket fit in one of those though? I agree with the others, why go through all the trouble to get rid of the body and not do something simple to better get rid of the blanket? Just stupid. Then again, it could've been a last second thing I guess. I am just happy to finally get some new news. I can't believe nobody's been charged yet! :-(

How in the world does a blanket fit in one of those though? I agree with the others, why go through all the trouble to get rid of the body and not do something simple to better get rid of the blanket? Just stupid. Then again, it could've been a last second thing I guess. I am just happy to finally get some new news. I can't believe nobody's been charged yet! :-(

Doesnt make any sense why it wouldnt have been burnt to me either. Not that anything in this case makes sense to normal people. I guess throwing a bag of clothes and a blanket out makes as much sense as starting a fire in the yard to get rid of evidence 2 weeks after the crime (if we go by EBs timeline).

I wish the news links gave some sort of idea as to the proximately of the briefcase find to the bone, prosthetic find location. Christy Road is a pretty long road. One site says "near" but that gives us no idea how near. Another site says deep in wooded area but does not give us a clue how far from the confirmed Zahra related finds nor any idea just how "deep" in the woods this briefcase was. Hoping the updates tonight on these news sites will give more info. Til then I am trying to keep an open mind as to whether I feel this briefcase may be related to Zahra's case.

ETA TY WhyaDuck, your most recent post answered at least one of my questions.

SNIPPED
The prosthesis was found directly across the street from the area where the bag was found.

Im not so sure the media is correct on this one. When traveling Christie rd during the searches the loggers where on the same side of the rd from where the prosthetic was found but maybe 1/4 mile( or that far ) towards the church end. I will look at my maps and photos and see if I can give a better idea for everyone.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back