7.4 Earthquake Rocks SW Pakistan

fran

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Massive 7.4 Earthquake Rocks SW Pakistan

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan (AP) — The United States Geological Service has reported a major earthquake in a remote area in southwestern Pakistan measuring 7.4 on the Richter scale.

The earthquake struck at 1:30 a.m. local time on Wednesday in Baluchistan province near the border with Afghanistan.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/massive-7-4-earthquake-rocks-sw-pakistan/

Major earthquake strikes southwestern Pakistan

CNN) -- An earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 7.2 struck Wednesday morning in a remote area of southwestern Pakistan, the U.S. Geological Survey reported.

"It's not uncommon for this region to have earthquakes," said Kurt Frankel of the Georgia Institute of Technology. It is where two tectonic plates come together, he said.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/01/18/pakistan.quake/index.html?hpt=T2

Homes damaged after Pakistan earthquake

Islamabad, Pakistan (CNN) -- Some 200 houses were damaged in a southwestern province of Pakistan after an earthquake with a magnitude of 7.2 struck Wednesday, officials said.

The mud-walled houses were damaged in districts close to the epicenter, said Ahmed Kamal, spokesman for the country's National Disaster Management Authority. Hundreds of tents, blankets and ready-to-eat meals were sent to the affected area, he said.

The earthquake occurred at 1:23 a.m. Wednesday (3:23 p.m. Tuesday ET) at a depth of 84 kilometers (52 miles), the U.S. Geological Survey said. It was centered 45 kilometers (30 miles) west of Dalbandin, and 1,035 kilometers (640 miles) west-southwest of Islamabad, the USGS said on its website.

There were no reports of injuries or deaths, Kamal said.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<more at link>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/01/19/pakistan.quake/index.html?hpt=T2

The United States, China and Australia had offered aid to Pakistan, but it had not been initially accepted, Kamal said.

Well of course we offered aid when we're up to our eyeballs in debt. When has another country (ie, Pakistan) offered the US any money.

Sorry, but I hate when we bail out/help other countries when we can't even fend for our own people.

Sorry for the rant, and I hope hope THEIR government takes action instead of relying on others!

MOO

Mel

The United States, China and Australia had offered aid to Pakistan, but it had not been initially accepted, Kamal said.

Well of course we offered aid when we're up to our eyeballs in debt. When has another country (ie, Pakistan) offered the US any money.

Sorry, but I hate when we bail out/help other countries when we can't even fend for our own people.

Sorry for the rant, and I hope hope THEIR government takes action instead of relying on others!

MOO

Mel

Countries all over the world offered help after Hurricane Katrina. I know assistance was also offered after earthquakes in San Francisco and Los Angeles. These are just a few examples off the top of my head.

And that doesn't begin to count the dozens of countries who provided at least token aid for our illegal war in Iraq.

In fact, we in the U.S. aren't even particularly generous. We rank 19th out of the 21 richest countries in terms of money given per person (counting public aid and private contributions).

http://mediamatters.org/research/200501040003

So if you need to rant, here's a topic: the richest country in the world is a miser, relatively speaking, but spends all its time patting itself on the back.

Why would we not assist? Not to help, would be like walking by an injured person and just keep on walking by as if nothing was out of the ordinary. You help because it's the right thing to do, debt or no debt. :twocents:

Why would we not assist? Not to help, would be like walking by an injured person and just keep on walking by as if nothing was out of the ordinary. You help because it's the right thing to do, debt or no debt. :twocents:

Amen.

But if one wants to be practical about it, parts of the U.S. are just as prone to earthquakes as Iran. The day is surely coming when we will need the help of other nations. What goes around...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeachyTee
Back