IL - Jack Schmitt, 72, murdered, Effingham, 19 June 2010 *Insanity*

krimekat

Amazed and Baffled
Reaction score
Yep. My husband thinks Facebook is evil. After reading all the garbage on there, I'm starting to believe him.

According to Deters' report, Schmitt made an unannounced visit to Bourland's home Sunday after recently reconnecting on Facebook. The two were high school acquaintances, Deters said. After being invited in and offered a beverage, Schmitt attacked Bourland with a knife, stabbing her 15 times in the face, neck, chest and abdomen. When Bourland's daughter entered the room, Schmitt attacked her, stabbing her five times in the neck, shoulder and chest before she ran out of the house to attract a neighbor's attention and contact police.

http://effinghamdailynews.com/local...abbings-faces-murder-attempted-murder-charges

http://effinghamdailynews.com/local/x316469689/Stabbing-in-Edgewood

According to Deters' report, Schmitt made an unannounced visit to Bourland's home Sunday after recently reconnecting on Facebook. The two were high school acquaintances, Deters said. After being invited in and offered a beverage, Schmitt attacked Bourland with a knife, stabbing her 15 times in the face, neck, chest and abdomen. When Bourland's daughter entered the room, Schmitt attacked her, stabbing her five times in the neck, shoulder and chest before she ran out of the house to attract a neighbor's attention and contact police.

http://effinghamdailynews.com/local...abbings-faces-murder-attempted-murder-charges

http://effinghamdailynews.com/local/x316469689/Stabbing-in-Edgewood

. . . both victims had been released from intensive care Monday afternoon. Both, he said, should be released from the hospital later this week.
Praise God!

FB users also need to use common sense. Profiles can be set to private. You don't have to confirm every friend request. There are ways to protect yourself.

Yep. My husband thinks Facebook is evil. After reading all the garbage on there, I'm starting to believe him.

I agree! I am on FB & have pi$$ed people off to the point that they've de-friended me -- not that they're my friends anyway, but busy-body relatives in my small "Mayberry"-like town . . . and I hate people from my past have an avenue to find me. Not that I am hiding out or anything, but I'm sure everyone knows what I mean.

I'm just SHOCKED there is so much EVIL in this world -- to think this dude killed his father, too. This hits me so close to home . . . within 15 miles from my Farm! We have high speed Internet but no municipal water or sewer (it's a comical situation). $h*t like this does not happen here!

FB users also need to use common sense. Profiles can be set to private. You don't have to confirm every friend request. There are ways to protect yourself.

Totally agree with this, too! The lack of common sense is SO EVIDENT in the virtual world. My high school aged newphews kept getting caught doing stupid things & wondered why they couldn't get away with anything -- BIG FAT DUH!

I am so thankful we did not have these options when I was a teenager or young adult -- why "really" grow up?

Totally agree with this, too! The lack of common sense is SO EVIDENT in the virtual world. My high school aged newphews kept getting caught doing stupid things & wondered why they couldn't get away with anything -- BIG FAT DUH!

I am so thankful we did not have these options when I was a teenager or young adult -- why "really" grow up?

Yes, I agree the FB thing is really not wise. No one needs to use their real name when socializing online (business is different). If you want to socialize online with real life family and friends you can still use an alias! You are putting stuff out there that you can NEVER take back (i.e. even employers 10 from now can still find the "cute" drunken party pictures and crude comments posted by "net friends" when a real name is attached).

Honestly social sites like that should FORBID any members under 18 from having an account (right now I think the law says 13). The number of ways teenagers can harrass each other, the stupid things they do (i.e. sending nude photos and not realizing it is a felony etc...) it is just a very very bad idea. None of us would want the stupid things we said and did (even harmless yet embarrassing stuff) at 16 to follow us for the rest of our lives, but with Facebook type pages they CAN!

Facebook is not evil, nor are they responsible for the killing. You just have to have common sense about what you post, never post your address. I use my real name so that friends from high school can locate me. Don't put stupid stuff up for the whole world to see or photos of your kids, that's idiocy... I joined over two years ago to stay in touch with my nieces and nephews.

wow I live right outside Effingham.
Edgewood is very small community. So glad the mom and daug are going to be alright.

I don't remember the stabbing in June. Hmmm

I did hear something going on the scanner in Edgewood Sunday....I was thinking it was domestic.... this must been what it was.

Thanks for the story. I don't have local channels and come here for news. The paper really don't have much in it. Sometime the radio will have some news but it always a couple days off.

I agree! I am on FB & have pi$$ed people off to the point that they've de-friended me -- not that they're my friends anyway, but busy-body relatives in my small "Mayberry"-like town . . . and I hate people from my past have an avenue to find me. Not that I am hiding out or anything, but I'm sure everyone knows what I mean.

I'm just SHOCKED there is so much EVIL in this world -- to think this dude killed his father, too. This hits me so close to home . . . within 15 miles from my Farm! We have high speed Internet but no municipal water or sewer (it's a comical situation). $h*t like this does not happen here!

bbm

well your closer to me and we do have very little crime. But It p-ss me off that people in our area do not think it can crime like this can happen here. Just because we live in small community DOESN'T MEAN IT CAN"T HAPPEN HERE! Effingham is right off I70 &I57 you never know who coming off the interstates.

it time for our communites to wake up and be more aware.

bbm

well your closer to me and we do have very little crime. But It p-ss me off that people in our area do not think it can crime like this can happen here. Just because we live in small community DOESN'T MEAN IT CAN"T HAPPEN HERE! Effingham is right off I70 &I57 you never know who coming off the interstates.

it time for our communites to wake up and be more aware.

I am keenly aware that violence can happen everywhere -- there was a murder in my hometown of 500 people about 10 yrs ago (meth related). Check out www.disclosurenewsonline.com for "local" news in southern IL . . . quite eye-opening.

I adore Facebook (have gotten closer with quite a few people I first met at WS on FB) and think it's great for the world.

Murder surely isn't a social media issue - it's as old as our recorded history. There are ways to protect your privacy if that is important to you. My prayers go out to the families effected by this sad crime.

Facebook is not evil, nor are they responsible for the killing. You just have to have common sense about what you post, never post your address. I use my real name so that friends from high school can locate me. Don't put stupid stuff up for the whole world to see or photos of your kids, that's idiocy... I joined over two years ago to stay in touch with my nieces and nephews.

I agree LinasK it's all about common sense. I too, joined to keep in touch with nieces and nephews. I would never post my address on FB. I don't allow anyone other than family to see my mobile phone or email address and I don't allow friends of friends to see anything on my page. I don't discuss personal things, like when I'm going on vacation, etc.

It is not just about posting all your info on facebook (though I still say posting a real name is an unnecessary risk on ANY online social forum). It is what snippet of info can be linked to other information!

Example, the other day I wanted to pull up info on a local person that emailed me. Had a yahoo email as the only info. Googled the email found an old myspace page with their name (dead page 5 years old and forgotten/cached), googled the name and found out where they worked, what they did, how old they are, their address and the phone number via corporate publications and other sources within 3 minutes.

It isn't about posting all the info in one place, it is about how people can use one TINY bit of info to get the whole picture. While I have met many people from the internet, I have also realized I don't want some random internet nutcase to be able to find me easily.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back