CA - Jasmine Dunton, 5 mos, dies in hot car, Santa Ana, 9 Sept 2004

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
A man suspected of leaving his 5-month-old daughter in a sweltering minivan was so distraught by her death that he tried to grab an officer's gun in an apparent suicide attempt shortly before he was arrested, police said Friday.

At the hospital — where firefighters had rushed baby Jasmine on Thursday — John Michael Dunton, 42, said he forgot that his daughter was in the car. He tried to grab an officer's gun; doctors used a sedative to calm him, police said.

"He was certainly distraught," said Santa Ana Lt. Bill Tegler. "He went to work and forgot to take the baby to the baby sitter. His routine was to take her to the baby sitter, and he forgot."

He is on suicide watch, held at Santa Ana Jail on suspicion of willful harm or injury to a child, Tegler said. His bail was set at $100,000 and his arraignment is scheduled Tuesday.

http://www.latimes.com/news/custom/showcase/la-me-baby11sep11.story

I'd want to kill myself too if I murdered my infant. I feel sorry for these cops who keep having to recover the bodies of these infants whom their parents forget about.

it is so strange...yesterday in another thread i was mentioning the snaps on our holsters that are designed to prevent our weapon from being grabbed. once i was in dunkin' donuts (yeah yeah!) getting coffee and a 4 year old kid went for my gun, did not know it was "real". thank God for the snap-down.

deputylinda said:
it is so strange...yesterday in another thread i was mentioning the snaps on our holsters that are designed to prevent our weapon from being grabbed. once i was in dunkin' donuts (yeah yeah!) getting coffee and a 4 year old kid went for my gun, did not know it was "real". thank God for the snap-down.
'
Its a good thing your thin (I'm assuming here). My neighbor was telling us that some cops with wider girths have some trouble with their belts and their snaps not staying as they should. Have you heard that as well?

Jeana (DP) said:
'
Its a good thing your thin (I'm assuming here). My neighbor was telling us that some cops with wider girths have some trouble with their belts and their snaps not staying as they should. Have you heard that as well?
we wear double belts...under-belt held secure by "keepers" to gunbelt to prevent shifting around with all the gear/weight on them. they are unrelated to the snaps on holsters...which snap down weapon at the stock and over the top of *advertiser censored*. next time you are near a cop, take a look and you will see what i mean. we can unsnap those in a half a second with certain hand move, but another person would have a struggle. i am not thin, but not fat either..built is the word! :rolleyes:

deputylinda said:
we wear double belts...under-belt held secure by "keepers" to gunbelt to prevent shifting around with all the gear/weight on them. they are unrelated to the snaps on holsters...which snap down weapon at the stock and over the top of *advertiser censored*. next time you are near a cop, take a look and you will see what i mean. we can unsnap those in a half a second with certain hand move, but another person would have a struggle. i am not thin, but not fat either..built is the word! :rolleyes:

I'll have to visit the neighbors tonight!! We've got a husband and wife couple who are cops that live next door. Also have a state trooper and an FBI guy. I'd seriously like to know where they get the money for their houses, but I ain't asking 'em.

It said that he was arrested because this case was different from another recent one. Where the father remembered the child a few hours later.

It's hard to imagine that this Dad went ALL day at work. Not one thought triggered his memory? Maybe a message from the babysitter, that went unanswered? I find it strange. Plus.......this guy said he had major info concerning The Simpson/Goldman murders but was too afraid to testify. His refusal landed him a month in jail. GEEZ!!!

I have three children - and I cant for the LIFE OF ME imagine FORGETTING one of them ANYWHERE... Let alone, a small helpless baby in a hot car...
When you are a parent, your children are (or should be!!) your top priority... your main concern... the first thing on your mind in the morning and the last thing at night..
I just dont honestly see how you can forget them.... I have heard of it happening before, but I just cant see how....

Bless this little baby...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back