fly the W!
Reaction score
Richard David Marlow
Missing since July 18, 1944 from Etobicke, Ontario, Canada
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics
  • Date Of Birth:February 9, 1935
  • Age at Time of Disappearance: 9 years old
  • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 3'8-4'0"; 50 lbs.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Blond hair; blue eyes.
  • Marks, Scars: Scar at edge of hair on one temple.
  • Clothing: Wearing dark blue windbreaker, long blue pants with striped jersey, gray cotton socks with yellow band around the top.
  • AKA: Pee Wee
Circumstances of Disappearance
On the evening of July 18th, 1944, Richard Marlow went missing and has never been found, nor his body recovered. The small, shy boy was riding his bicycle in front of his house on Beta Street, Etobicoke, with his brother inside the house.
The bike was found at the house when Richard's mother returned home that evening but Richard had vanished. Etobicoke Police conducted a search, as did the army militia, with no results.
Richard was a good child at home and in school, with no reason to run away.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/4376dmon.html

They don't say how old the brother was, but it seems the parents considered the neighborhood safe enough to leave children at home on their own. How wrong they were :(

http://m.insidetoronto.com/news-sto...pe-for-answers-70-years-after-etobicoke-boy-w

Family still holds hope for answers, 70 years after Etobicoke boy went missing
Cynthia Reason
Feb 13, 2014
Richard ‘Peewee’ Marlow was just nine years old when he vanished without a trace.

One minute, he was riding his sister’s bike up and down Beta Street in south Etobicoke, and the next he was gone – the bike left abandoned in the yard.

This past Sunday, his last two surviving siblings and their families marked what would have been the 79th birthday of the shy little blond boy with the bright blue eyes – the 70th such occasion they’ve honoured under a shroud of mystery, as Marlow’s disappearance remains unsolved.

“It’s getting tougher now that everyone’s getting older,” said Marlow’s niece Gayle Dykeman, whose mother Aileen Lubbock was 18 when her brother went missing on July 18, 1944. “When my grandparents and my mom’s three brothers passed away, they died not knowing what happened to Richard, and I think that’s playing in my mom’s mind a lot more lately, because she’s going to be 88 in April. She’s really concerned that, once she and her brother Bob are gone, that will be the end of it – that no one will remember Richard; that no one will look for him anymore.”

http://m.insidetoronto.com/news-sto...pe-for-answers-70-years-after-etobicoke-boy-w

Family still holds hope for answers, 70 years after Etobicoke boy went missing
Cynthia Reason
Feb 13, 2014
Richard ‘Peewee’ Marlow was just nine years old when he vanished without a trace.

One minute, he was riding his sister’s bike up and down Beta Street in south Etobicoke, and the next he was gone – the bike left abandoned in the yard.

This past Sunday, his last two surviving siblings and their families marked what would have been the 79th birthday of the shy little blond boy with the bright blue eyes – the 70th such occasion they’ve honoured under a shroud of mystery, as Marlow’s disappearance remains unsolved.

“It’s getting tougher now that everyone’s getting older,” said Marlow’s niece Gayle Dykeman, whose mother Aileen Lubbock was 18 when her brother went missing on July 18, 1944. “When my grandparents and my mom’s three brothers passed away, they died not knowing what happened to Richard, and I think that’s playing in my mom’s mind a lot more lately, because she’s going to be 88 in April. She’s really concerned that, once she and her brother Bob are gone, that will be the end of it – that no one will remember Richard; that no one will look for him anymore.”

Thanks for posting this good article, what a nice surprise to see something new written about the case, hope it spurs someone's memory or conscience!

The article says Richard, " PeeWee" was small for his age, could someone have mistaken him for someone younger and taken him to keep as their own child? Richard's mom always felt that he was alive and would be found one day.
Did any other children from the area go missing around that time?

I saw the story on facebook and came here to see if there were more details. I wonder. Is he listed in NAMUS - I know he's in OPP's missing persons case load, and in missing persons.ca - does Namus allow canadian cases -- could he be a doe from NYS ? I give the family so much credit. Wow. What a DOLLFACE child he was!

Happy to see a big new article today! Includes video with Gayle Dykeman, whose mother, Aileen Lubbock, Richard’s only sister, was 18 at the time.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...is_heartbroken_family_is_still_searching.html

"There is an empty plot in Glendale Cemetery beside John and Gertrude Marlow. There is no headstone, no marker; no flowers are left there.

It’s just waiting, for Richard.

Richard Marlow vanished from outside his house 17 kilometres away on Beta St. in Etobicoke, nearly 70 years ago.

He was 9 years old.

His family — later generations, nieces he has never met — are still looking for him.

Nicknamed “Peewee,” Richard was small for his age, painfully shy. He was in Grade 3, “getting along nicely,” his mother, Gertrude, told the Star in 1947.

“He was always the first away to school in the morning. He didn’t want to be late,” she said. “He was very quiet and would never go into a dark room and wouldn’t talk to strangers at all.”

http://www.nampn.org/cases/marlow_richard.html

"Missing Since: July 18, 1944 from Etobicoke, Ontario
Classification: Endangered Missing
Date Of Birth: February 9, 1935
Height: 3'8-4'0"
Weight: 50 lbs.
Hair Color: Blond
Eye Color: Blue
Race: White
Distinguishing Characteristics: Scar at edge of
hair on one temple.
Clothing: Wearing dark blue windbreaker, long blue
pants with striped jersey, gray cotton socks with yellow band
around the top.
AKA: Pee Wee
Case Number: 20100061OPP

Details of Disappearance
On the evening of July 18th, 1944, Richard Marlow went missing and has never been found, nor his body recovered. The very small, shy boy was riding his bicycle in front of his house on Beta Street, Etobicoke, with his brother inside the house. The bike was found at the house when Richard's mother returned home that evening but Richard had vanished. Etobicoke Police conducted a search, as did the army militia, with no results. Richard was a good child at home and in school, with no reason to run away.

Investigating Agency
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
OPP
1-877-934-6363"

This is so sad and there doesn't seem to be a lot of info regarding the case out there...is anyone aware of any suspects or theories the police had at the time of the disappearance?

I salute Richard's nieces and later generations of family for never stopping the search for him even all these years later

So sad. I have nothing of value to add. Breaks my heart his parents never found him. Can't even imagine that pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So sad. I have nothing of value to add. Breaks my heart his parents never found him. Can't even imagine that pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Posting on this thread is of value dyannaON, it might help bring this missing little boy back into the public eye, imo.
Who knows, mysteries are solved all the time, hope this is one of them!

The article says Richard, " PeeWee" was small for his age, could someone have mistaken him for someone younger and taken him to keep as their own child?

I can't see that as very likely at all. A 9 year old is very different from a baby or toddler. He was old enough to retain memory of his name, parents names, where he lived and details of siblings. He could not be forced to forget those things by a kidnapper. If he failed to trace his birth family when he became an adult it's simply because he was dead.

Bumping
http://www.insidetoronto.com/news-s...rs-70-years-after-etobicoke-boy-went-missing/
attachment.php

[h=2]Missing since 1944[/h] Courtesy Richard 'Peewee' Marlow went missing at age 9 in Etobicoke in 1944. He is the oldest case on MissingKids.ca. He would have turned 79 this month. Despite the time that's passed, his family is still hoping for answers.

Attachments

• et_richardmarlow0211_Content.jpg
    et_richardmarlow0211_Content.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 65
June 3 2019
Toronto Police Service :: News Release #43959
"Missing Persons Unit
416-808-7411
The Toronto Police Service Missing Persons Unit (MPU) became operational on July 1, 2018. The MPU is a subsection of Homicide and ensures a consistent process and investigative response for all occurrences of persons missing in Toronto, or on the way to/from the city of Toronto. This includes both newly reported and historic cases of missing persons and unidentified human remains.

The MPU frequently highlights cases involving unsolved missing persons investigations, in this instance, four cases involving missing children that are still open:

- Richard 'Peewee' Marlow, then 9, was last seen on July 18, 1944, riding a bicycle in front of his family home in Etobicoke, then very rural. The bicycle was located later in the evening in front of the house, but he was nowhere to be seen.

He was described as white with blonde hair, blue eyes and a thin build. He was very small for his age and incredibly shy.

His case is featured on Canada's Missing website, which is the website for the National Centre for Missing Persons and Unidentified Remains."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bosie
Back