Officials: 'Bath salts' are growing drug problem

Dark Knight

Reaction score
FULTON, Miss. – When Neil Brown got high on dangerous chemicals sold as bath salts, he took his skinning knife and slit his face and stomach repeatedly. Brown survived, but authorities say others haven't been so lucky after snorting, injecting or smoking powders with such innocuous-sounding names as Ivory Wave, Red Dove and Vanilla Sky.

Some say the effects of the powders are as powerful as abusing methamphetamine. Increasingly, law enforcement agents and poison control centers say the advertised bath salts with complex chemical names are an emerging menace in several U.S. states where authorities talk of banning their sale.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110123/ap_on_re_us/us_dangerous_bath_salts

:anguish: I love using bath salts! IN THE BATH!

I hope they don't make them illegal because dopers need a high!

I had no idea. True bath salts are just prettied up epsom salts with maybe sea salt and essential oils. It's the added chemicals added that are dangerous, and how are they getting away with selling something like that labeled as bath salts. Hope they don't outlaw epsom salts due to people trying to mix up their own, because they're very soothing for a soak sometimes.

OMG! What next? This is the saddest thing I have ever heard!

I'm in Canada and maybe I'm naive but I have never heard of this let alone seen anything like this. This is absolutely insane, how are we suppose to protect our children when things like this are so readily available to the general public.

Very scary as far as I'm concerned....

I see someone posted this in the Crimes forum, but I don't think it's a crime, yet, which is where the problem lies.

I also am thinking it isn't actual bath salts, but the article does a really poor job of making that clear. Journalism isn't what it used to be, lol.

It's a crime in Lousiana as of January 7th.

FYI I posted a few articles in the "Crimes" thread. I won't re-post them here, but they are informative.

FYI I posted a few articles in the "Crimes" thread. I won't re-post them here, but they are informative.

You guys are ahead of the game! Much like Indiana was with K2. :)

BBM:

It sure is, bessie. I was glad to see that. Jindal spoke about this earlier in the month.

I had already seen a news clip where one young guy shot himself over it because of the effects. Evidently it is long lasting.

The only good thing about it is that it is not the same bath salts that old grannies like me use.

Normal bath salts are still just fine, like txvicki said, just dolled up versions of the good old epsom salt. The new ones are being marketed as bath salts, but nothing like the typical bath salts. I won't buy anything that isn't completely natural when it comes to my skin, so I have never come across these, but really, wasn't it only a matter of time?

I am so sick over this! Kids my son used to be friends with are doing this *****. When my son was in 9th grade his whole life changed- he lost almost all his friends to drugs. They stopped skateboarding, playing sports and video games and started snorting pills and smoking weed instead. Most have dropped out of school, none have even bothered to even get their drivers licenses, several are in jail, several have kids, none have jobs, many do drugs with their parents. He misses his friends. It's so sad!

Normal bath salts are still just fine, like txvicki said, just dolled up versions of the good old epsom salt. The new ones are being marketed as bath salts, but nothing like the typical bath salts. I won't buy anything that isn't completely natural when it comes to my skin, so I have never come across these, but really, wasn't it only a matter of time?

Yup, it sure was. They will stop at nothing to destroy our kids!:banghead::furious:

My son worked with a young welder about a week and a half ago; he really liked the guy. He said the guy was so smart and so proud of his wife and three small children---just appeared to be a laid back happy-go-lucky young man. They worked long hours that day, and my son tells me how happy he and this young man were to finish up and be able to head home to their loved ones.

Later that evening, the young welder used these Chinese Bath Salts and died.....his babies are going to grow up without a daddy, his young wife is now a widow, his parents have lost their son, and my son lost a new friend.

Bath salts have been banned in Louisiana, as other posters before me have noted. They were already illegal at the time of this young man's death, and had been pulled from the shelves of whatever kind of stores sold it. I'm not sure if this young man legally purchased this crud before the ban or whether he bought it illegally after the ban: I just know this: His choice to use bath salts that evening has caused and will continue to cause so much sorrow for so many people.

I had never even heard of this before this incident, and it infuriates me that parents now have one more thing to be afraid of. :maddening:

I hate when things like this happen,

I had no idea. True bath salts are just prettied up epsom salts with maybe sea salt and essential oils. It's the added chemicals added that are dangerous, and how are they getting away with selling something like that labeled as bath salts. Hope they don't outlaw epsom salts due to people trying to mix up their own, because they're very soothing for a soak sometimes.

They won't outlaw it, they'll just make you take a card to the pharmacy and scan your license to keep track of whose buying what. Like sudafed and those drugs.

I don't think they are real bath salts- just another thing like the "incense." they came out with. It's chemicals, stimulants (MDPV) being "sold as" salts.

http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/showwiki.php?title=MDPV

Does this have theraputic uses or value? Just curious. Or is it a designer drug? Thanks in advance. I'm not familiar with this one (heck I don't know a lot of them, this ain't the 70's anymore baybeee)

Does this have theraputic uses or value? Just curious. Or is it a designer drug? Thanks in advance. I'm not familiar with this one (heck I don't know a lot of them, this ain't the 70's anymore baybeee)

Nope, no theraputic value! Though it's a pretty close relative of Pyrovalerone which has been used for chronic fatigue syndrome but not so much because of issues of abuse and addiction. Oddly enough though, the US only lists it as a Schedule V- (low addictive potential) what a joke!

eta- went and looked it up "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrovalerone

I don't get it? Do some people use these in the bath, or is it specifically made to snort up your nose? Why do they call it bath salts, if you don't use it in the bath?

Lordy me...

Mel

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks