Russia - 31 dead, 100s injured by suicide bomb at Moscow airport

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Suicide bomber kills 31 at Russian airport: reports

(Reuters) - At least 31 people were killed and more than 100 injured on Monday in a suicide bombing at Russia's biggest airport, Russian news agencies reported.

Russia's ruble-dominated stock market MICEX fell by nearly two percent following the blast, which ripped through the baggage claim area at Moscow's Domodedovo airport at 1332 GMT.

Smoke wafted out of the baggage claim area and people were seen running out of the emergency exits at the airport, local media reported.

The Kremlin is struggling to contain an Islamist insurgency in the mainly Muslim North Caucasus, and rebels have repeatedly vowed they will take their battle to the Russian heartland.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE70N2TQ20110124

Prayers for the victims that were killed or injured. Prayers for their families and friends.

I've no words for terrorists. Period. (well that can be posted here)

The Guardian now has live updates; excellent coverage:

Moscow airport explosion

• At least 35 people killed and more than 130 injured in suicide bombing at Russia's biggest airport, state-run TV reports

Prayers for the victims that were killed or injured. Prayers for their families and friends.

I've no words for terrorists. Period. (well that can be posted here)

What Kat said

It sounds as if some quick thinking by airport employees in knocking down a wall, saved many many people. Talk about bravery when everything is on fire and things are exploding. My prayers go out for all of those effected. Another tragic day.

Has anyone heard of threats to other airports? I have a son flying out of Berlin back to the US today and I'm so worried about him. I've scanned all the print media and haven't seen mention of it. I can't watch any video and have no TV so I'd appreciate it if someone would post if you see any updates about this.

ETA: They've just announced:

"A spokeswoman for Moscow's busiest airport says 35 people have been killed by an explosion in its international arrivals hall."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/eu_russi...Ec2VjA3luX3RvcF9zdG9yeQRzbGsDcnVzc2lhdGVycm9y

From Guardian updates:

5.07pm: Despite the attack the airport seems to have remained open, my colleague Jonathan Haynes reports.

5.03pm: Luke Harding, the Guardian's Moscow correspondent, has just sent me this about a warning Russia's security agencies received before today's blast, according to news agencies. Luke writes:

Russia's security agencies received a warning ahead of today's blast of a possible attack on a Moscow airport, news agencies reported this afternoon.

"We received information that in one of Moscow's airports a terrorist attack could possibly take place," a law enforcement source told RIA Novosti. The source said police had been searching for three suspects.

The three apparently managed to penetrate the territorysurrounding the airport, with the suicide operation possibly carried out by one of them. The other two monitored the explosion and then left, the official suggested. The suicide bomber appears to have got into the building unchallenged, taken the lift up to the second floor and then blown himself up in the general access area of the international arrivals zone, he added.

Russian opposition bloggers immediately demanded to know why security measures had not been enhanced at airports in response to the tip-off. Oleg Kozlovsky, an opposition activist, tweeted: "If the FSB [Russian's domestic anti-terrorism agency] knew about the warning a week ago, why didn't they check passengers arriving at airports?"

Another source told the Interfax: "According to intelligence, three men may have been involved in organizing the explosion, men who have been living in the region of the [Russian] capital for some time. They have been put on the wanted list." He said the three men were believed to be militants from Russia's North Caucasus. They allegedly had connections to two women, one of whom blew herself up at a range practice club in Moscow on 31 December and the other was arrested in Volgograd, Russia, later.

"It can't be ruled out that one of the three blew himself up at Domodedovo," the source said.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/blog/2011/jan/24/moscow-airport-explosion-live-updates

This is so sad. Can I say I hate terrorists, regardless of race, creed, or color? I sure hope one of the 3 blew himself up -- deserves him right. Hope the other 2 get hit by a bus.

Prayers to all the victims of this senseless act!

Mel

Some snippets from BBC coverage:

More than 100 people were injured - 20 of them critically - by the blast, which reports suggest was the work of a suicide bomber.

According to eyewitnesses quoted by Russian TV's Vesti news programme, before detonating the explosives the bomber shouted: "I'll kill you all!"

Briton Mark Green, who was on a British Airways flight that landed at the airport before the explosion, told BBC News there were thousands of people in the baggage collection area, baggage hall and queue for immigration at the time of the blast.

"We were walking out through the exit of the arrivals hall towards the car, and there was this almighty explosion, a huge bang... my colleague and I looked at each other and said 'Christ that sounds like a car bomb or something,' because the noise was, literally, it shook you," Mr Green told BBC News.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-12268662

This is so sad. Can I say I hate terrorists, regardless of race, creed, or color? I sure hope one of the 3 blew himself up -- deserves him right. Hope the other 2 get hit by a bus.

Prayers to all the victims of this senseless act!

Mel

amen to that! MissIzzy, I'll say a prayer for your son, I'm sure he will be fine, but I don't blame you for being worried!

strange, but i was just in washington dulles airport a couple days ago and was thinking about how any loon can walk into the baggage claim area, wonder how long before all areas in an airport are closed off to non-travellers ..

Daily Mail update, tons of pics:

Terrorist massacre at Moscow airport: One Briton among 35 killed in suicide bombing attack

* 'It was a terror attack,' confirms President Medvedev

* Two foreigners among the injured according to Russian agency Interfax

* Suspected suicide bomber was an 'Arab-looking man, aged 30-35' - Interfax

* Italian and French nationals among casualities

* British Airways flight destined for Moscow turned around

* Officials searching for three male suspects

much more at link above

I'm still not seeing any group claiming responsibility. Don't the rebels typically make claim quite soon after an attack?

I found this statement sadly ironic:

"[President] Medvedev canceled plans to travel Tuesday to the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, where he aimed to promote Russia as a profitable investment haven to world business leaders."

This article states that 2 British travelers are among the dead:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/eu_russi...Ec2VjA3luX3RvcF9zdG9yeQRzbGsDYm9tYmluZ2F0bW9z

(((hugs))) to you Blue. We can use all the prayers we can get. I'm always uneasy when my kids travel and this young man is really "stretching" himself to travel on his own. He's due in the states later tonight and hopefully we'll get a call. His Dad's set to pick him up when he arrives at our closest airport.

senseless stupid tragedy.....it never ends, just never.

my heart goes out to all the survivors & their familes and the familes of the lost.

Just got a call. My son is safe in his Dad's and sisters' arms. A 27 hour slog from Berlin--with a deplaning due to a suspicious item. But he's safe and he's home. My heart breaks for those who didn't get to welcome their loved ones home tonight.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson
Back