How to clean your computer

Dark Knight

Reaction score
I have a dirty secret. I've never cleaned my computer. Sure, I've dusted my monitor, but I haven't taken off the cover or tried to reach the crumbs lurking inside my keyboard. And I honestly don't know the difference between pressurized air dusters and compressed air cleaners.

"Your computer could fry if you don't keep it clean," says Jonathon Millman, chief technology officer for Hooplah Interactive.

Whether it's a desktop or laptop/notebook computer, dust and lint can clog the cooling vents. This can cause your computer's brain—the central processing unit (CPU)—to heat up. And heat is the biggest cause of component failure in computers. Regular cleaning could save you costly maintenance fees down the road.

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/set...=Learn how to clean your computer&WT.rss_ev=a

I used to love cleaning the keyboard on my Desktop PC.I'd pry off the keys and thoroughly clean with Q-tips and rubbing alcohol.

When I went to visit my brother over the summer I swear to the easter bunny I almost fainted from the fact that their keyboard (4 users)had never cleaned theirs.I found more dead sea scrolls and remnants of Jimmy Hoffa's clothing he was last seen in.

I am being a lot more careful with my lap top.I never eat or drink near it and I wash my mits before I even touch it.

i was so ashamed when i looked inside my old one, it was covered all in there with brown nasty gummy crud. i quit smoking, (for that and other reasons) and hubby bought me a new one.

i blow out my keyboard about once a month, but outside. if you do it while the cpu is on it just sucks all that dust into the cpu, not good. at least its not cigaret ashes anymore, cookie crumbs mostly lol

you need to clean out your desktop at least every 6 months, or more if in a dusty place. unplug all connections, vacuum off the outside very well with a vacuum brush, lift up any flaps and vacuum there.

next, open up your system and vacuum inside the case, take off any shrouds over cpu heat exchangers and vacuum as best you can.

last, take computer outside still open, put a bandana or something over your nose and mouth. turn the vacuum hose backwards on the machine so it is blowing out air, attach the crack tool, and blow out every part of the system, paying particular attention to the power unit fan, the main fan or fans, and the heat exchanger. blow them from the outside in first, and then from the inside out. make the propellers spin up to high speed with the airflow.

now put the fan shrouds back in place, close up your system and plug everything back in.

it will make a world of difference.

ps, you do not want to breath any of the "dust" you blow out of a system, it can cause nasty head colds and sinus infections.

you need to clean out your desktop at least every 6 months, or more if in a dusty place. unplug all connections, vacuum off the outside very well with a vacuum brush, lift up any flaps and vacuum there.

next, open up your system and vacuum inside the case, take off any shrouds over cpu heat exchangers and vacuum as best you can.

last, take computer outside still open, put a bandana or something over your nose and mouth. turn the vacuum hose backwards on the machine so it is blowing out air, attach the crack tool, and blow out every part of the system, paying particular attention to the power unit fan, the main fan or fans, and the heat exchanger. blow them from the outside in first, and then from the inside out. make the propellers spin up to high speed with the airflow.

now put the fan shrouds back in place, close up your system and plug everything back in.

it will make a world of difference.

ps, you do not want to breath any of the "dust" you blow out of a system, it can cause nasty head colds and sinus infections.

As the article stated, using a vacuum cleaner and actually touching something inside can cause static electricity, which would fry something as sensitive as electronics.

I've used a air compressor to blow out my desktop before and it seemed to do a pretty good job. All that I needed to do was to take off the side cover and turn the compressor on. They do get pretty dirty; that's for sure. Even the laptops will get dust build-up on the bottom where the chips and cooling fan are located.

I have desktop computers, and I unplug everything, take the sides off my computers, take them outside, set them on the hood of the car (carefully), and use our leaf blower on high to blow the dust out. Never have to touch anything inside. Does a good job.

The keyboard is another matter. I'm afraid to take keys off, not knowing if I could get them back on. Hmmm....I do have an old keyboard here somewhere, perhaps I should experiment on that one. Anyway, I usually turn them over, sitting on one end, and "burp" them. All sorts of stuff falls out, but .. I am not happy with the results, cause I can see some dust, etc. on the sides of the keys.

I sure appreciate this thread. Definitely going to experiment with the old keyboard. Maybe tomorrow. :)

if your really concerned with static discharge then ground yourself, or wear a stat wriststrap. i've been working with systems since 1982 and never seen it happen, so what do i know.

I have desktop computers, and I unplug everything, take the sides off my computers, take them outside, set them on the hood of the car (carefully), and use our leaf blower on high to blow the dust out. Never have to touch anything inside. Does a good job.

The keyboard is another matter. I'm afraid to take keys off, not knowing if I could get them back on. Hmmm....I do have an old keyboard here somewhere, perhaps I should experiment on that one. Anyway, I usually turn them over, sitting on one end, and "burp" them. All sorts of stuff falls out, but .. I am not happy with the results, cause I can see some dust, etc. on the sides of the keys.

I sure appreciate this thread. Definitely going to experiment with the old keyboard. Maybe tomorrow. :)

I printed out a picture of my keyboard because I knew I would not remember where anything went.The keys are easy to pry off.I used a butter knife.I let the keys soak in a big tall cup with Dawn and warm water while I cleaned the inside the keyboard.

I swear I had to drink a beer after seeing my brother's keyboard.A tranquilzer would have been better. *shudders*.:great:

I have a dirty secret. I've never cleaned my computer. Sure, I've dusted my monitor, but I haven't taken off the cover or tried to reach the crumbs lurking inside my keyboard. And I honestly don't know the difference between pressurized air dusters and compressed air cleaners.

"Your computer could fry if you don't keep it clean," says Jonathon Millman, chief technology officer for Hooplah Interactive.

Whether it's a desktop or laptop/notebook computer, dust and lint can clog the cooling vents. This can cause your computer's brain—the central processing unit (CPU)—to heat up. And heat is the biggest cause of component failure in computers. Regular cleaning could save you costly maintenance fees down the road.

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/set...=Learn how to clean your computer&WT.rss_ev=a

Thanks DK! Hubby takes care of the tower every few months to keep it nice and going well but I'm in charge of the key board and even tho I use the air, there is yucky on the sides and bottom of the keys..I was told to use a q-tip and alcohol, just dampened and that should work.
Now I just have to get down to the nitty gritty and do the work!!:innocent:

I only have laptops and blow mine off with a small air compressor that has less pressure than a can of air. Another thing I use is a small portable vinyl coated shelf to set it on when I'm sitting on the couch or chair so the fan can run and not get hot. I also have one that has legs you can prop up or fold down. When folded down it raises the laptop about a inch off my desk. It was a lot less than a cooling pad and seems to do the trick. You can find them in any discount store.
Amazon.com: Homz Laundry/seymour 011232347_I01 White Vinyl Coated Wire Add a Shelf: Kitchen & Dining

For my laptop keyboard I use a "dental scraper tool" that I bought at the local drugstore. It is one of those metal pick thingys that dentists use to "probe".

You can use it by itself to get crap out from between and under the keys or you can wrap a very fine cloth around the metal "pick" to clean with.

if your really concerned with static discharge then ground yourself, or wear a stat wriststrap. i've been working with systems since 1982 and never seen it happen, so what do i know.

Yeah, well, I invented the internet. :crazy:

I only have laptops and blow mine off with a small air compressor that has less pressure than a can of air. Another thing I use is a small portable vinyl coated shelf to set it on when I'm sitting on the couch or chair so the fan can run and not get hot. I also have one that has legs you can prop up or fold down. When folded down it raises the laptop about a inch off my desk. It was a lot less than a cooling pad and seems to do the trick. You can find them in any discount store.
Amazon.com: Homz Laundry/seymour 011232347_I01 White Vinyl Coated Wire Add a Shelf: Kitchen & Dining

I agree..I leave my laptop on day and night as I have a daughter in Pa. and a son in the Philippines....I've had too many lap burns but I use a ventilated laptop cooler and I think it cost me $20.00 at Staples. Well worth it..I burned up 2 motherboards before I got it...also...I got an unlimited warranty. I just use the brush attachment on my vacuum cleaner and a dry toothbrush. We haven't used desk tops in several years...I use my old one for backing up my hard drive.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46
Back