Alligator sized lizard found.

Steely Dan

Former Member
Reaction score
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2011/01/26/vo.giant.lizard.rcas?hpt=C2

http://myvalleynews.com/story/53966/

Monitor lizard the size of "small alligator" found wandering streets of Riverside
Tuesday, January 25th, 2011
Issue 04, Volume 15.

RIVERSIDE - An oversized monitor lizard that was found wandering the streets of Riverside, startling residents before animal control officers captured him, was reunited with his owner today.

The 5-foot-long reptile, "Elmer," was located Tuesday afternoon on a sidewalk in the 2500 block of Grambling Way, near Massachusetts Avenue, according to Riverside County Department of Animal Services spokesman John Welsh.

"People were stunned by the size of this thing," he said. "It looks like ... a small alligator."

According to Welsh, Elmer's owner turned up at the Western Riverside County Animal Shelter today, ready to claim his pet lizard....

Happy that the fellow wasn't harmed... they are such beautiful creatures. (...and yes, I mean the lizard... snakes, gators and crocs scare the heck out of me, but I love lizards... they have such a dino-esque look to them.

you do know monitor lizards are second cousins twice removed from brown feather emus, doncha?

EMU_FACE.jpg

Lizards scare the carp out of me. I would have had a heart attack.
I hope this owner will keep Elmer away from public streets now. :smile:

His brother "accidentally" left the door open??? Riiiiiiiiggghht. I'm just glad he wasn't hurt. The lizard, that is. Heck with the brother, or the owner, for that matter.

I love large reptiles as long as they have legs. Alligators, crocs are all fine by me, but they shouldn't be kept as pets. In Louisiana, we had such a problem with people buying iguanas as pets, only to abandon them when they reached full grown maturity, that our senate passed an iguana bill last spring (Hell, what else do we have to worry about in Lousiana? :doh:) However, I do agree with the sentiment of the new law which requires iguana retailers to issue a written disclosure to purchasers stating: 1) iguanas require special diets and care; 2) they can carry samonella; and 3) their size might increase significantly. (And for that, we need a law?) I believe they are also required to provide written feeding and care instructions. Apparently the number of homeless iguanas in Louisiana has grown so vast that a couple who have cared for some of them formed a non-profit organization called Raptor Recovery to provide temporary shelter and assist in finding permanent homes. Oh yeah...we take good care of our lizards down here. People, not so much. But lizards? :rocker:

Anyway, monitor lizards aren't quite as regal as the iguana, but they're still very cool. I'm happy this guy is okay.

Maybe the owner's brother isn't so fond of Elmer....just sayin! Me and my kids love lizzards, especially big ones like Elmer.

http://myvalleynews.com/story/53966/

"According to the owner, Elmer had been missing since Sunday," Welsh said. "Elmer's tank was in the process of being cleaned, apparently, and the owner's brother accidentally left the residence's front door open. Elmer managed to escape undetected and vanished into the nearby community."

I tried to find a picture of Elmer for the thread. BOY I wish I hadn't.
I understand some people like them, but my gosh. They give me the chills. I'm hoping Elmer doesn't visit me in my dreams tonight! :eek:

There was a television program I saw about a man who had several monitor lizards that he let roam free in his apartment. He hardly ever left the apartment because he needed to keep it a certain temperature for the lizards. He did not have a phone.

One day, one the lizards bit him and he developed sepsis--or blood poisoning. This is the way that in the wild these lizards hunt their prey. They bite a prey animal, the animal expires from the bacterial infection and they later go and consume the prey.

The man died in the apartment, and because he did not have a phone, was unable to call for help. His coworkers checked on him a day or so later, from what I remember. The lizards had consumed part of of him.

I found the story:

http://animal.discovery.com/videos/fatal-attractions-killed-by-a-pet-komodo-dragon.html

There was a show about a man who had several monitor lizards that he let roam free in his apartment. He hardly ever left the apartment because he needed to keep it a certain temperature for the lizards. He did not have a phone.

One day, one the lizards bit him and he developed sepsis--or blood poisoning. This is the way that in the wild these lizards hunt their prey. They bite a prey animal, the animal expires from the bacterial infection and they later go and consume the prey.

The man died in the apartment, and because he did not have a phone, was unable to call for help. His coworkers checked on him several days later. The lizards had consumed part of of him.

Here's the story:

http://animal.discovery.com/videos/fatal-attractions-killed-by-a-pet-komodo-dragon.html

:eek: Yuck! Poor man.

His brother "accidentally" left the door open??? Riiiiiiiiggghht. I'm just glad he wasn't hurt. The lizard, that is. Heck with the brother, or the owner, for that matter.

I love large reptiles as long as they have legs. Alligators, crocs are all fine by me, but they shouldn't be kept as pets. In Louisiana, we had such a problem with people buying iguanas as pets, only to abandon them when they reached full grown maturity, that our senate passed an iguana bill last spring (Hell, what else do we have to worry about in Lousiana? :doh:) However, I do agree with the sentiment of the new law which requires iguana retailers to issue a written disclosure to purchasers stating: 1) iguanas require special diets and care; 2) they can carry samonella; and 3) their size might increase significantly. (And for that, we need a law?) I believe they are also required to provide written feeding and care instructions. Apparently the number of homeless iguanas in Louisiana has grown so vast that a couple who have cared for some of them formed a non-profit organization called Raptor Recovery to provide temporary shelter and assist in finding permanent homes. Oh yeah...we take good care of our lizards down here. People, not so much. But lizards? :rocker:

Anyway, monitor lizards aren't quite as regal as the iguana, but they're still very cool. I'm happy this guy is okay.

I was walking on the street the other day and there was a monitor lizard sitting there with a sign; :Help me, I'm cold blooded and it's 10 degrees"

Well even though I'm quite afeard of them I took pity on the fellow and brought him home. When I came back from a Dr.'s appointment later that day he'd robbed me of everything.

What a cold blooded *advertiser censored*. :maddening:

There was a television program I saw about a man who had several monitor lizards that he let roam free in his apartment. He hardly ever left the apartment because he needed to keep it a certain temperature for the lizards. He did not have a phone.

The man died in the apartment, and because he did not have a phone, was unable to call for help. His coworkers checked on him a day or so later, from what I remember. The lizards had consumed part of of him.

I found the story:

Well, at least he had good taste.

What a beautiful creature. I have to show this video to my youngest thanks Steely!

I'm with Bessie I love reptiles that have legs. I do have a healthy respect for them though and keep a good distance.

We have adorable house lizards here (house gecko's) and they help to keep the bug population down in the house.

The only annoying thing is if they go into mating season inside the house instead of leaving. They can be very very loud. (chirping Steely not loud sex my friend) Hah.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sugarheart27
Back