Warning May Be Offensive: Store reverses decision to hide Elton John magazine cover!

Steely Dan

Former Member
Reaction score
http://www.cnn.com/2011/SHOWBIZ/cel.../26/elton.john.covered.up/index.html?hpt=Sbin

Store reverses decision to hide Elton John magazine cover

(CNN) -- An Arkansas supermarket reversed its decision Wednesday to hide a magazine cover showing Elton John and his same-sex partner David Furnish holding their new baby.

The shield placed over the current issue of Us Weekly read "Family shield to protect young Harps shoppers."

The Arkansas-based grocery chain lets managers at its 65 stores decide when customers complain if the shield is needed, but it is usually for photos that are "sexually provocative or too revealing," Harps Food Stores President Kim Eskew said.

Complaints poured into the chain's headquarters this week after photos of the shielded magazine spread across internet blogs and news websites....

WARNING: THE FOLLOWING MAY BE EXTREMELY OFFENSIVE;
:rolleyes:

011811_elton_cover.jpg

OMG! I have to wash my eyes out with bleach......eyeroll...

What idiots, note to self..... stay outta Harps Food Markets if I ever go to Arkansas

I think it's a lovely family picture.

If they feel the need to protect the public....please please pick Snookie to sheild me from!

And I'm sure they have no problem showing the magazine covers with the girls from Teen Mom on them. :rolleyes:

Was the store really worried about protecting little children or hoping to make a statement to gays in the community?

Seriously, what innocent, young child is going to look at that picture and say "Wow, look that baby has two daddy's! I'm so offended!"

Ridiculous!

Thank you to all the folks who complained that the shield was offensive! Congratulations EJ and DF - your baby is adorable, your family is perfect, just the way it is. I hope you have many years to enjoy and raise your tiny boy into manhood.

Dear R-Kansas,

Hello it's 2011.

Get used to it.

Respectfully, Someone from a progressive city

Note that baby is too cute.

Was the store really worried about protecting little children or hoping to make a statement to gays in the community?

Seriously, what innocent, young child is going to look at that picture and say "Wow, look that baby has two daddy's! I'm so offended!"

Ridiculous!

Thank you to all the folks who complained that the shield was offensive! Congratulations EJ and DF - your baby is adorable, your family is perfect, just the way it is. I hope you have many years to enjoy and raise your tiny boy into manhood.

Obviously the problem here is that the complainers are homophobes. They don't want to see two men with an adopted child and they don't want their kids to think being gay is ok.

maybe they should've used some brain cells prior to making the ridiculous decision

Ridiculous!

I couldn't have said it any better-my thoughts exactly

What's worse is that I'm sure it was probably at most 20 people. Stores and radio and TV seem to think that every one person who complains represents 20 bajillion that just don't take the time to but are equally offended.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Witchee
Back