Pretrial motions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skittles

Reaction score
I heard today on the WRAL noon news that a pretrial motions hearing scheduled for today has been moved to Friday, Feb 4th. The report did not say what the motions were. There is no report on the WRAL website at this time.

The Wake Superior Court calendar has not yet been updated with the new date.

Thanks for the article and the heads up Lori - I didn't realize the FBI had sent in "undercover" agents - cool.

I have been not so patiently waiting for this fellow to head for his trial.

March 7 isn't too far away and good old WRAL did not forget about him. :D

Seems to me, that if the Court allowed the cameras to film the pre-trial motions today, that they will allow audio/video of the trial. At the beginning part of the pre-trial motions and arraignment today, the judge talked as if he just assumed that the trial would be filmed. They may only have still photos of some witnesses, etc., but I hope, hope, hope that we will be able to see it live.

Seems to me, that if the Court allowed the cameras to film the pre-trial motions today, that they will allow audio/video of the trial. At the beginning part of the pre-trial motions and arraignment today, the judge talked as if he just assumed that the trial would be filmed. They may only have still photos of some witnesses, etc., but I hope, hope, hope that we will be able to see it live.

Yes, I think WRAL will be in the court room....they also discussed the noise of the camera and not wanting it to be a distraction during the trial. Discussed set up of the court room they will be in and the fact that there is a booth where the camera could be placed. Judge also asked for heads up on witnesses not to be filmed so arrangements could be made.

The judge said there will be a live pool video camera in the courtroom.
The state's motion was to blackout media coverage only when the undercover LE witnesses take the stand. WRAL will carry the complete trial live (streaming) from opening statements to verdict.

Hello to all Sleuths -- I am a newbie to posting on WS, but I have followed Nancy, Michelle Y, and Kathy Taft (since she was brutalized in a house so near to me, as is the case with a couple of you folks) -- anyway, I've followed since all of those WS pages started. So pleeeeze bear with me...

I am hesitant to say this, but I wonder how the State will make a firm case against BC for 1st Degree Murder -- oh, I hope they can -- but did BC premeditate the event and was he "cool of mind" (these two, if I'm not mistaken, must be there for 1st D.M.)? Or did they just have a big argument/fight and did he just kill her in hot rage? Or did the State talk 1st Degree just to possibly have him plead to 2nd? If any of you have thoughts and the time to discuss, I would like some reassurance that he might be on the bizznezz end of a long, long sleep. Thanks to you all.

Hello to all Sleuths -- I am a newbie to posting on WS, but I have followed Nancy, Michelle Y, and Kathy Taft (since she was brutalized in a house so near to me, as is the case with a couple of you folks) -- anyway, I've followed since all of those WS pages started. So pleeeeze bear with me...

I am hesitant to say this, but I wonder how the State will make a firm case against BC for 1st Degree Murder -- oh, I hope they can -- but did BC premeditate the event and was he "cool of mind" (these two, if I'm not mistaken, must be there for 1st D.M.)? Or did they just have a big argument/fight and did he just kill her in hot rage? Or did the State talk 1st Degree just to possibly have him plead to 2nd? If any of you have thoughts and the time to discuss, I would like some reassurance that he might be on the bizznezz end of a long, long sleep. Thanks to you all.

Borndem, Wake County NC will finally see justice for 2 slain mothers within 4 months in 2011.
Personally, I think Brad acted in a 'fit of rage' when he killed Nancy. Just because he did not meticulously plan like Jason Young, his sudden actions still constitute first degree murder....all it takes is a split second of malice aforethough to send him to to prison for life.

Borndem, Wake County NC will finally see justice for 2 slain mothers within 4 months in 2011.
Personally, I think Brad acted in a 'fit of rage' when he killed Nancy. Just because he did not meticulously plan like Jason Young, his sudden actions still constitute first degree murder....all it takes is a split second of malice aforethough to send him to to prison for life.

JTF - Thanks for that bit of wisdom about the split second -- and that does make me feel much better about the justice that BC deserves as well as the justice-done for his daughters and for NC, bless her. And the other trial will be Jason Young?? Or if not, who? TIA. ;)

JTF - Thanks for that bit of wisdom about the split second -- and that does make me feel much better about the justice that BC deserves as well as the justice-done for his daughters and for NC, bless her. And the other trial will be Jason Young?? Or if not, who? TIA. ;)

Yes, Jason Young is set to stand trial for murder in the same courthouse, starting 5-16-11.

Shaping up to be a busy spring in the halls of justice. Plan on attending at least a couple days of each trial.

Hi All,

Finally, finally the wheels of justice are slowly spinning.

I'm planning to attend a few days of the Cooper trial, if I can get a seat.

BC's body language was interesting -- he was hunched over when standing, shoulders rolled forward. Not looking very confident. I'm sure it's rather sobering to see what the state's got to present.

SG, I noticed his slumped shoulders, too. I wondered if that is his natural posture, as you often see with tall people, or if it could have been a tell-tale sign of his outlook these days. Do you really think his narcissistic personality would let him feel it and unconsciously show it? Here's hopin' it's so...:clap:

I would really like to be there a day or so, too -- a first for me. I guess it's just FCFS for seating. And I guess we'll have to wait & see if he takes the stand. Seems to me it would take a lot of persuasion to keep Narcissus out of the witness chair, since he IS the smartest one in the room (any room!), but if his shoulders really do speak to that, maybe he'll keep quiet... But I would LOVE to see him up there on the hot seat...

I don't believe he will take the stand (nor will necessarily even want to).

I think his lawyers will be working to try and discredit any physical evidence and try to suggest 'others' who Nancy might have associated with, to raise doubt, neither of which require his testimony. Since he has no alibi or witnesses to his activities between the hours of 10:30pm to 9am (other than the Harris Teeter videos at 6:40am and some reading of NC's email around 10:30pm) I can't see how him testifying can possibly help his case.

Anyway, I love discussing trial strategy and stuff like that. It's like a big chessboard in a sense. I've been very curious about what evidence the state has amassed and look forward to them finally presenting it. I imagine they've got their ducks lined up, but one never knows until they roll it out.

SG, First, let me say I love, love, love your avatar -- I am a cat-lover myself -- and that is one pi**ed-off cat!! I just makes me chuckle every time I see it. The poor kitty-kitty...

On topic, thanks for your wisdom on Our Boy Bradley. Maybe his lawyers have brought him back to reality and convinced him that he is is in great jeopardy for his future freedom. He DID look quite beaten-down and even nearly humble.

And I do think that seating a jury will be a real toughie for both sides. And how many alternates would they think appropriate for what could be a 4-5 week (?) trial? If any WS-ers were called for that one, they would chuck us all out-of-hand, I'd bet... And I wonder if any prospective juror has ever been asked about being an observer/contributor to a blog such as this.

I can't hardly wait for this thing to really get started... I just have a feeling that the State has some surprises and strong evidence.

Hee, thanks Borndem. Actually, my cat jumped into that ecollar all by herself (it belonged to my dog) and I just happened to have my camera handy. So she only looks pissed, she was actually quite pleased with herself.

I don't know if it's the lawyers words or spending years in jail waiting that affect that kind of countenance. I suspect being in jail would do it.

As for finding a jury, I think the most important thing is that people be willing (and able) to hear the evidence presented in the courtroom by both sides and understand the prosecution must meet a burden to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, and if they don't...then a vote for 'not guilty' must follow. I agree WSers would be tossed (probably), although I think several could actually be fair and follow the judges instructions. Just having heard of the case or possibly having an opinion doesn't automatically disqualify a potential juror.

Anyway, yes, after 2.75 yrs it's time to see what the state has. I personally don't think anyone should have to sit in jail that long awaiting trial--this jurisdiction is unbelievably slowwwww.

SG - Hmmm - I guess I mis-read the self-satisfied kitty-smirk for a mad-cat glare!! And I so much envy their not-giving-a-damn attitude and getting fed & petted & loved in spite (or because) of it. But a pretty, deep purr really gives me so much satisfaction and warmth. KWIM?

And I do agree that 2.75 yrs. is way-y-y-y too long to make a person wait for justice -- no matter what. If judged guilty, he/she should get credit for the time, but if judged not guilty, and truly innocent, what?? It could happen to almost anyone, any day. And often, delays are asked & granted, so that explains some of it...

And county jail can't be much of a treat, but I often wonder if the state prisons are any better. And we're still waiting on J.Young, Jason Williford (this should be a bit easier to prosecute), Abaroa, and the Bakers, etc., etc.

I very much appreciate your view of things here, SG. And let's hope things will start happening so-o-o-on.

Brad could have been to trial earlier, but his own counsel wanted more time to review the evidence. I'm sure Brad was consulted before they asked to delay the start of the trial.

I'm pretty curious as to what the undercover evidence is. Sounds like a plant situation, and makes me think law enforcement needed more than what they had to firm up their evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998