MO - Randy Lande for raping 8yo girl, Independence, 2011

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
This case - sadly - seems to cover all the bases:

* Would conviction make perp a repeat sex offender? Check.
* Did the offense for which he was earlier found guilty carry an unusually light sentence? Check.
* Upon arrest, did the alleged perp attempt to deflect the blame? Check.
* Was the alleged offender in position to offend because he was "mom's new boyfriend"? Check.

Any I've missed?

Independence sex offender charged in rape of girl, 8

A 45-year-old Independence man, who is a previously convicted sex offender, was charged today with raping and sodomizing an 8-year-old girl.
---
He was arrested Thursday after Independence officers responded to a house in the 600 block of North Pleasant Street and discovered the child covered with blood and hyperventilating on a mattress.
Randy Lande, who the alleged victim described as “Mom’s new boyfriend,” also was charged with kidnapping and five counts of forcible sodomy.
---
Police say Lande was drinking a beer at the time they stopped his car. Asking if he could smoke a final cigarette, he reportedly said, “I knew I should not have come back here.”
Lande is listed on the Missouri Sex Offender Registry. According to court records, he was convicted in Cass County of committing sodomy on a 5-year old. He spent 120 days in prison before being paroled.
---

more, plus mugshot - he even looks like one - at
http://www.kansascity.com/2011/02/04/2632692/past-independence-sex-offender.html

Yes, I have to agree--textbook case. He covered all the bases. 120 days for sodomy of a 5 year old? Dear Lord.

And the mother of the newest victim cannot claim she didn't know. The SOR is available to one and all in Missouri. If she doesn't have a computer, she could borrow a friend's or go to the library. But maybe that's too much work to protect your 8 year old child.

We have to remember, though, that this guy is CLASSIC. Most of us are going to pick this man out of crowd and step the other way, while keeping a close eye on him. The ones who really worry me are the engaging, charming, involved, healthy looking men and women with excellent reputations. They are the rare birds (who aren't so rare anymore) which cause even vigilant parents to let down their guard.

YUCK!!!!

My prayers are with that child. What a face to have haunt your dreams. He looks very proud of himself.

Prepare yourself as this is tremendously disturbing. This child was MOST DEFINITELY NOT just "fondled":

http://blogs.pitch.com/plog/2011/02/randy_lande_accused_of_sexually_assaulting_9-year-old_girl.php

"....The girl was found covered in blood and hyperventilating. She told authorities that "Randy" did this to her. The child was taken to a local hospital where she underwent surgery for her injuries.

In an interview with police, Lande admitted "fondling" the girl. He is charged with forcible rape of a child younger than 12 years old, five counts of forcible sodomy...."

more at link (plus the Probable Cause document)

And:

http://www.fox4kc.com/news/wdaf-pol...-rape-of-young-child-20110203,0,3664199.story

"Randy W. Lande, 45, of Independence, was charged Friday with one count of forcible rape, five counts of forcible sodomy, and one count of felony kidnapping.

According to police, they responded to a report of a sexual assault at a home in Independence on Thursday morning. When police arrived, they found the young girl covered in blood on a mattress in a bedroom, hyperventilating and having convulsions.

Police said the victim and two other girls had spent the night at the home after a birthday party. The probable cause said the girl told police that "Randy" was the one who hurt her.

Police said in the probable cause that Randy Lande was the boyfriend of the mother of one of the girls at the sleepover and was of no relation to the victim. Lande's girlfriend told FOX 4 that her daughter-in-law woke to screams, found the victim and called 911. That's when Lande took the sheets off the bed and left the home with a 20-pack of beer....."

[The relationships here seem a bit confusing]

more at link

Poor little girl. So young and having surgery to repair injuries from rape. And convulsions? Either she was in tremendous shock or was suffering from the after effects of lack of oxygen. Oh my.....

ETA: After reading the Probable Cause, I see that it's highly likely the little girl suffered from lack of oxygen. The man was drunk and orally, anally, and vaginally raped her. I can find no information as to her medical condition. I'm afraid I know her emotional condition. May every support system in the state of Missouri please step up to assist this child. It's a miracle this baby girl is not dead.

If anyone else has trouble getting the PC to open at the above link, I found it here:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/48178490/Randy-W-Lande"]Randy W. Lande (I don't want to imbed it, so you'll have to copy and paste)

Prepare yourself, though, as it's one of the hardest I've read. This monster threatened this child and raped her in every way possible. He almost killed her. When stopped by the police, his only request was to have just "one last cigarette".

May heaven rain down protection on this little girl.

If anyone else has trouble getting the PC to open at the above link, I found it here:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/48178490/Randy-W-Lande"]Randy W. Lande (I don't want to imbed it, so you'll have to copy and paste)

Prepare yourself, though, as it's one of the hardest I've read. This monster threatened this child and raped her in every way possible. He almost killed her. When stopped by the police, his only request was to have just "one last cigarette".

May heaven rain down protection on this little girl.

Police say Lande was drinking a beer at the time they stopped his car. Asking if he could smoke a final cigarette, he reportedly said, “I knew I should not have come back here.”

Read more: http://www.kansascity.com/2011/02/04/2632692/past-independence-sex-offender.html#ixzz1DA4Avt99

Could he have been living and offending somewhere else ?
I can't believe there haven't been more victims.

Ok.
I just checked casenet and when he was charged in 2008 he was listed at a residence in Belton MO which just happens to be a mini storage company.

Sicko's & storage units make me nervous.

OMG. When he was divorced in 2002, he got custody of the kid/kids.

Yes, I have to agree--textbook case. He covered all the bases. 120 days for sodomy of a 5 year old? Dear Lord.

And the mother of the newest victim cannot claim she didn't know. The SOR is available to one and all in Missouri. If she doesn't have a computer, she could borrow a friend's or go to the library. But maybe that's too much work to protect your 8 year old child.

We have to remember, though, that this guy is CLASSIC. Most of us are going to pick this man out of crowd and step the other way, while keeping a close eye on him. The ones who really worry me are the engaging, charming, involved, healthy looking men and women with excellent reputations. They are the rare birds (who aren't so rare anymore) which cause even vigilant parents to let down their guard.

YUCK!!!!

My prayers are with that child. What a face to have haunt your dreams. He looks very proud of himself.

I read the complaint and she didn't say it was her mom's new boyfriend. They whited out the name, she said it was (name whited out) mom's new boyfriend.

I read the complaint and she didn't say it was her mom's new boyfriend. They whited out the name, she said it was (name whited out) mom's new boyfriend.

On the last page, there's the paramedic's statement, where she asked who did this to her, and LC named (whited out), and when asked who that was, she did say her Mom's boyfriend.

I think there's either confusing reporting or confusing family relations....or both.

But Good Lord, he got custody of his children? I wonder if one of his children is the victim mentioned below?

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/02/04/2633819/man-on-probation-in-decades-old.html#ixzz1DAQYZDSB

A man on probation for sodomizing a 5-year-old Cass County girl decades ago was charged Friday in Jackson County with the rape Thursday of an 8-year-old Independence girl.

In 2008, Lande had been accused by a woman of sodomizing her 20 years earlier when she was 5. He pleaded guilty in June 2009 and was sentenced to eight years in prison. He served 120 days, which may have been part of a plea bargain resulting from the difficulty of going to trial decades after an alleged abuse.

Yet about a month before Lande’s release from prison, an institutional adjustment report recommended that probation for Lande be denied, court records show. That recommendation was not followed...."

more at link

This is getting uglier and uglier.

Looks like Lande has lived in these towns:

Grandview, MO
Peculiar, MO
Raymore, MO
Belton, MO
Kansas City, MO

ITA: This was not a one or two time crime. He's hurt other children.

YUCK!!!!

All the single ladies - there's NO reason not to check out your dates before you bring them home to visit your children. NONE whatsoever. And this doesn't apply just to single ladies, but men, married folks - ANYONE who has a child. It takes...what...5 minutes to run a background check, to check the SOR? I would even check babysitters nowadays, even family members that may be sketchy.

In this case, the assault could have been so easily avoided. Mum's have to stand up and realize that these SO's groom their prey -- starting with the mum. I suspect he lavished much attention on the mum to get what he really wanted - the daughter.

And while the SOR may not be enough, it's best NOT to bring a stranger into your home with a young child. Meet on common/public ground, but for God's sake not the home.

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!

MOO

Mel

Yes, the first victim seems to be a relative. I stumbled across her MS page while looking for Lande and she's suffered greatly. It's heartbreaking. I imagine that she is reeling this evening. But she did ALL she could. She brought charges and saw it through. That takes a lot of strength for a young woman. The man was sentenced to 8 years. I'm sure she's lived in fear with him being out.

ITA, mgardner. However, there were three little girls in that house, having a sleepover following a birthday party. This guy was one of the moms' new boyfriend. That's what scares me. Unknown people coming into a house when your child spends the night. Lande might have been the mom's boyfriend but did the other little girls' parents even know about him? It sounds as if he went into the girls' room and chose the child he wanted. It could have easily been any of them.

We have a special needs foster daughter who recently spent the night at a friend's. Our daughter is 16 but functions more like an eight year old. My husband has met the family and they are raising a daughter with similar special needs too. The girls attend school events together and have gone to the movies with my husband. They go to Easter Seals events together. Everything seemed to be totally safe...all bases covered. Then, our daughter came home the next day and mentioned that the mom's new boyfriend (we only knew that she was separated) had come by for a surprise visit from out of town. Turns out that our daughter couldn't sleep and so he taught her how to play cards late at night. She said he was really funny and made them all pancakes in the morning.

I about exploded!!!

What's the deal with Independence MO? That area sure seems to come up regularly w/ child *advertiser censored* & pedo arrests.

And the child sex assaults seem to be so brutally horrific. :(

Hold the phone. Kara Kopetsky!! Kara disappeared while walking away from Belton High School in May 2007. She was 17. I realize that she was certainly older than the other two victims but Belton High is only a couple of blocks from where Lande lived in Belton.

I know we can't sleuth out family members but I ran across Lande's children (while searching for his past addresses) and his kids must have gone to the same school, in looking at their ages. Is it possible that Kara had visited or walked by the Lande home? I hope Belton LE is looking at this.

This one has me bawling. I caution anyone going to read the PC statement. It is just as graphic and heartbreaking as is warned. This poor child. I pray she gets everything she needs for years to come. I do not even begin to know how such a horrific experience could affect this young child as she moves through live. I have an idea, and that is enough.

OT but only silghty. I think I need to take a break from clicking on the pedo threads for a while. I am not emotionally strong enough to deal with these right now.

Missizzy, I thank you for your vigilence in bringing these cases to light. Fight the good fight dear lady.

I am so sorry for this young lady, I have no words ! I pray she can recover mentally from such an attack from a vicious monster.

This may offend some people but the only way to deal with this monster is a bullet to the head, and that is MHO....he does not deserve one more waking day to take up precious oxygen on this planet. He is a rabid animal, he spent a whole 120 days in prison for he last charge (oh boy) and he was back out on the streets to harm again, I do not know what it is going to take for our justice system to wake up !

I for one as a taxpayer do not agree that my money be spent on keeping someone such as this alive, fed and warm, he should be 6 feet under! Taxpayer money would be better spent towards help for this precious child and children like her to recover, and not keeping this man and others like him alive....moo

tlcox--I totally respect your need to take a hiatus from this. I try to maintain a "distance", a "numbness" as I start one thread after another about these heinous crimes. But this particular case cut me to the quick. It isn't often that I need to move away from the computer and cry.

At 3 in the afternoon, I had to go sit in the sun with a half glass of wine. I even took my rosary with me--and I'm not Catholic but I needed something to hold as I prayed. Oh, how I cried for this child.

Everyone (rightly so) will hope for her healing. But she won't ever....not totally. It's just not feasible. This wound is far too severe. Too many factors point to permanent physical and emotional trauma. Even with the very best of care and treatment and either family support or placement in the world's best foster/adoptive home won't take away what this monster did to her.

Every human being processes trauma and pain differently and she might be a resilient child. We can hope. But so often the very soul seems to be broken and the person never really recovers, not to their former self. This is why we have suicides in front of the Catholic church. This is why so many victims either turn their grief inward or act out towards others. I don't like feeling so hopeless, especially when I personally cannot assist with the healing.

This child did not ask to be forever changed but she is. That's the lamentable fact of the matter. In mere minutes, the course of her life changed--no different than a strike of lightning or a head-on collision. But this wasn't an act of God/nature or an accident. It was evil wrought upon her by a monster.

I rarely waver in my dedication to total pacifism but I'm wavering.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back