Last Known Location: Terlingua, Texas
Sex: Female
Race: White
DOB: 1954
Height: 5ft 5in
Weight: 110 lbs
Hair: Brown
Eyes: Hazel
Ms Berry has pierced ears, a flat brown mole on her lower right abdomen, a slight space between her two front center teeth and a freckle between her thumb and right wrist.

Circumstances:

Phyllis Eleanor Berry was last seen at the "World Championship Chili Cookoff" in Terlingua in November of 1975. She may have left the area on the back of a motorcycle with an unknown male subject. An extensive search of the area was performed, but Ms. Berry was not located.

LINK:

http://www.odessacrimestoppers.org/missing.aspx

-------------------------------------------------

Phyllis Eleanor Berry
Missing since November 1, 1975 from Terlingua, Brewster County, Texas.
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: September 16, 1954
Age at Time of Disappearance: 21 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'5"; 110 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Hazel eyes; brown hair. She is of slender build.
Marks, Scars: Berry has pierced ears, a flat brown mole on her lower right abdomen and a freckle between her thumb and right wrist.
Dentals: Available. She has a slight space between her two front center teeth.
Fingerprints/DNA: Available

Circumstances of Disappearance

Berry was last seen at the 'World Championship Chili Cookoff' near the Texas-Mexico border. Sometime between midnight and 08.00, November 2 she disappeared. She may have left the area on the back of a motorcycle with an unknown male subject. An extensive search of the area was performed, but Berry was not located. She has not been seen since.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Texas Department Of Public Safety
432-447-3533

NCIC Number: M-400921199
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
Texas Department of Public Safety
Odessa Crime Stoppers
Doenetwork Case 544DFTX

LINK:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/544dftx.html

I called this possible in to TX DPS a couple of years ago. They contacted Broward County and were told that it was a CODIS rule-out by default.

I have a feeling though that they were just blowing it off. Florida has a reputation for botched rule-outs (e.g., Colleen Orsborn and Peggy Sue Houser)

Looking at the NamUs MP and UP casefiles for PEB and the Jane Doe, it is not clear whether both cases are in CODIS. There is a mtDNA profile for the Jane Doe at the Univ. of North Texas, but they were unable to develop a nucDNA profile for her. For Phyllis, it says "Sample available - Not yet submitted." However, it is unclear whether "Not yet submitted" applies to NamUs, or CODIS (or both).

But I noticed that they finally entered the dentals into the Jane Doe's NamUs UP casefile. So we can compare the description of the Jane Doe's dentals to the visual of PEB's teeth.

Here's a close-up of Phyllis' teeth (with the #8 and #9 teeth labled for reference).

PhyllisEBerryTeeth_zpsf1036ec9-1_zps2906b646.jpg

Regarding the 295UFFL Jane Doe's teeth the NamUs casefile indicates the following:

Decedent has teeth #6 and 7 congenitally missing with primary teeth C and D retained.

In the photo of PEB's teeth, note the large gap next to (i.e., on her right of) her #8 tooth where her #7 tooth would normally be. I don't think that's her #7 on the other side of the gap. The #7 appears to be missing, I can't tell if that tooth is her #6, or if it is a primary tooth as is described of the UID.

But nevertheless, it could be consistent to the description of the Jane Doe's teeth.

Tooth #10 is also congenitally missing and tooth # 11 has erupted in #10 position.

Again, not conclusive, but the tooth next to (i.e., on her left of) her #9 tooth appears to have come in crooked, as if it is the #11 filling the gap left by a missing #10.

primary tooth H is retained in positon of tooth #11.

No way to judge that one way or the other from this photo.

Large diastema (space) between teeth #8 and #9

The photo is a little too blurred to be sure, but there appears to be a significant gap between #8 and #9.

I called this possible in to TX DPS a couple of years ago. They contacted Broward County and were told that it was a CODIS rule-out by default.

I have a feeling though that they were just blowing it off. Florida has a reputation for botched rule-outs (e.g., Colleen Orsborn and Peggy Sue Houser)

Looking at the NamUs MP and UP casefiles for PEB and the Jane Doe, it is not clear whether both cases are in CODIS. There is a mtDNA profile for the Jane Doe at the Univ. of North Texas, but they were unable to develop a nucDNA profile for her. For Phyllis, it says "Sample available - Not yet submitted." However, it is unclear whether "Not yet submitted" applies to NamUs, or CODIS (or both).

But I noticed that they finally entered the dentals into the Jane Doe's NamUs UP casefile. So we can compare the description of the Jane Doe's dentals to the visual of PEB's teeth.

Here's a close-up of Phyllis' teeth (with the #8 and #9 teeth labled for reference).

PhyllisEBerryTeeth_zpsf1036ec9-1_zps2906b646.jpg

Regarding the 295UFFL Jane Doe's teeth the NamUs casefile indicates the following:

Decedent has teeth #6 and 7 congenitally missing with primary teeth C and D retained.

In the photo of PEB's teeth, note the large gap next to (i.e., on her right of) her #8 tooth where her #7 tooth would normally be. I don't think that's her #7 on the other side of the gap. The #7 appears to be missing, I can't tell if that tooth is her #6, or if it is a primary tooth as is described of the UID.

But nevertheless, it could be consistent to the description of the Jane Doe's teeth.

Tooth #10 is also congenitally missing and tooth # 11 has erupted in #10 position.

Again, not conclusive, but the tooth next to (i.e., on her left of) her #9 tooth appears to have come in crooked, as if it is the #11 filling the gap left by a missing #10.

primary tooth H is retained in positon of tooth #11.

No way to judge that one way or the other from this photo.

Large diastema (space) between teeth #8 and #9

The photo is a little too blurred to be sure, but there appears to be a significant gap between #8 and #9.

Phyllis Berry DNA status in NAMUS is listed as Sample available - Not yet submitted. It means it is not in CODIS yet. Once it is in CODIS in can be matched against the DNA of this UID which is already in CODIS:

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/9302

As soon as Phyllis Berry's DNA status is updated as Sample Submitted test complete, it can be checked by the Regional Administrator

Right now, Michael Nance is the Regional Administrator for this UID and he is very helpful and responsive. I will keep an eye on this case, once the DNA status is updated for Phyllis Berry I will email Michael Nance (or whoever happens to be the Regional Administrator for this case) for a possible DNA match.

It's just going to have to wait until then.

The dentals are entered for Phyllis Berry. But as was the case with Peggy Sue Houser, (who, like this Jane Doe, had retained multiple baby teeth into adulthood), you can't rely on the accuracy of the dental chart.

You would be able to see though whether PEB had fillings in any of her teeth, in which case she would be a likely rule-out. It appears that this Jane Doe had none.

BTW, a contemporaneous news article I found online indicated that she was from Odessa TX. But I haven't been able to find her in any of the yearbooks for the high schools in Odessa (either under the surname Berry or the alternate surname Ecklison). There are a few people from that era with the surname Berry, but I couldn't find her.

Phyllis Berry DNA status in NAMUS is listed as Sample available - Not yet submitted. It means it is not in CODIS yet. Once it is in CODIS in can be matched against the DNA of this UID which is already in CODIS:

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/9302

As soon as Phyllis Berry's DNA status is updated as Sample Submitted test complete, it can be checked by the Regional Administrator

Right now, Michael Nance is the Regional Administrator for this UID and he is very helpful and responsive. I will keep an eye on this case, once the DNA status is updated for Phyllis Berry I will email Michael Nance (or whoever happens to be the Regional Administrator for this case) for a possible DNA match.

It's just going to have to wait until then.

Now that DNA is available, I emailed Michael Nance of the possible match.

I have noticed in the last 2 months that Michael Nance does not return emails or answer his calls. I suspect he is not at NAMUS anymore. Hopefully someone will pick up on this possible match. I will keep an eye on it until it is excluded or matched.

I also submitted a confidential web tip to Odessa Police. She was listed as a missing person on their web site. I always wondered if police followed up on web tips. We should find out soon.

I've seen the teeth on the 75 Davie Jane Doe, and I can now say I am sure she is not Phyllis. The 75 Davie Doe's teeth are very severely gapped. The gap is about 1/4 inch wide, and her #9 tooth skews outward and to the left. Phyllis' teeth are nowhere near that badly gapped and skewed.

http://sanangelolive.com/news/inter...s-get-ready-48th-annual-competition-terlingua
The annual World Champion Chili Cookoff in Terlingua was held again last week. The 48th annual this year.
Every year around the first of November the population of Terlingua, in the Big Bend of Texas, swells considerably as “chili-heads” flock to the famous spot to attend one, or both, of the competing chili cook-offs: The Francis X. Tolbert-Wick Fowler International Original Terlingua Championship Chili Cook-Off and the Chili Appreciation Society International’s Terlingua Chili Championship

Phyllis has been missing for 39 years.

In additional to Carl's ruleout, Phyllis is a listed ruleout on these Unidentified Women:
https://identifyus.org/cases/8493
ME/C Case Number: N1993-37273
Fairfax County, Virginia
26 to 34 year old White Female
Found 12.06.1993

https://identifyus.org/cases/6259
ME/C Case Number: HCCO-OC-45-81
Lawrence County, Ohio
30 to 60 year old White Female
Found 04.22.1981

https://identifyus.org/cases/6150
ME/C Case Number: C1998-29162
Stafford County, Virginia
28 to 45 year old White Female
Found 11.07.1998

https://identifyus.org/cases/8427
ME/C Case Number: 0620-82
Washoe County, Nevada
25 to 35 year old White Female
Found 1.20.2011

Did anyone happen to see/possibly save/take any screen shots of the x rays of Phyllis's teeth by chance? I'm not sure if they were still available for viewing in NamUs when they were updated but if someone has them, I would love to see them.

Found a picture of Phyllis that someone posted on another site that they got from an old newspaper article. She looks very different than some of her other photos, this one is fully face forward so you can get a sense of her nose and the spacing of her eyes. The original poster didn't state what paper it came from or when:
attachment.php

Attachments

• Phyllis Berry.jpg
    Phyllis Berry.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 305
Just curious, does anyone know if a someone has rhinoplasty if the ME can tell? Let's say I just had the tip of my nose bobbed, but didn't have anything done that required changing the bridge of my nose, could they tell? I'm referring to someone with a recognizable face, not so much skeletal remains. Anyone know?

I was friends with Phyllis. I do not believe that is her in the last pics. She lived with a couple she called aunt and uncle, but I am fairly sure not blood relation. She went by their last name, Matheny, for awhile. She did not complete high school so no pics would be available. I wish her disappearance could solved, I think about her often.

I was friends with Phyllis. I do not believe that is her in the last pics. She lived with a couple she called aunt and uncle, but I am fairly sure not blood relation. She went by their last name, Matheny, for awhile. She did not complete high school so no pics would be available. I wish her disappearance could solved, I think about her often.

Do you know if either of the couple is still alive? I'm wondering if it's possible that Phyllis contacted either of them over the years. Given her age at the time of her disappearance I imagine LE wasn't interested so maybe the couple have information which they weren't able to share at the time.

They were a retired,elderly couple when she lived with them. They would be long deceased. No, she never contacted them or anyone after her disappearance. She vanished that evening at the chili cook off.

By last picture, do you mean the one I posted from the old newspaper article? They listed her name in the caption, so if it's not her, I'm wondering where it might have come from. To be honest, all three pictures have very different looks for Phyllis.
Do you know if she had any tattoos by chance?

Yes, I meant the pic in post 726. That isn't her. The two pics up above is how I remember her. The pic with short hair, that is a wig. She lived in Germany for time and came back with that shag wig. No tattoos that I know, but she had double ear piercings.

Yes, I meant the pic in post 726. That isn't her. The two pics up above is how I remember her. The pic with short hair, that is a wig. She lived in Germany for time and came back with that shag wig. No tattoos that I know, but she had double ear piercings.
If there's anything else you can tell us about her, please do. Thank you

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back