Valentine's Day chocolate has activists' blood boiling

Dark Knight

Reaction score
DALLAS/NEW YORK (Reuters) – Valentine chocolates may become the new blood diamonds.

As chocolatiers plan for one of their biggest sales weeks of the year, human rights activists are stepping up efforts to make consumers think twice before purchasing the traditional box of chocolates for their sweethearts for Valentine's Day on Monday.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110209/lf_nm_life/us_cocoa_chocolate_labor

man, I hadn't even thought of this

and I was so looking forward to a box of turtles

Oh, and we're supposed to boycott flowers too. Seems like this Valentine's day is gonna be a bust!

Organizations such as Pesticide Action Network point out that commercial flowers, produced in Colombia and elsewhere, are the most toxic and heavily sprayed agricultural crops on Earth.

http://www.organicconsumers.org/valentines/index.cfm

Mel

A lollipop and a balloon it is.
Those are safe?

I had a relatiaves who worked in a chocolate factory and she said that if you saw what things are crawling around and what disgusting things people do around the factory, you would never eat chocolate again. I believe it was bad because I never saw her eat chocolate. This was a long time ago, I'm sure with the strick regulations they have today, it's different.

A lollipop and a balloon it is.
Those are safe?

Nope, both have lead in them. :crazy:

But I agree there should be certifications to show what chocolates, or other items, are "conflict free" or "sweat shop" free, so we can make an informed choice.

I had a relatiaves who worked in a chocolate factory and she said that if you saw what things are crawling around and what disgusting things people do around the factory, you would never eat chocolate again. I believe it was bad because I never saw her eat chocolate. This was a long time ago, I'm sure with the strick regulations they have today, it's different.

And when is the last time we've heard about an outbreak of illness from eating chocolate? Obviously it can't be too contaminated from the gross things.

And when is the last time we've heard about an outbreak of illness from eating chocolate? Obviously it can't be too contaminated from the gross things.

To answer your question it was in 2007. I'm sure there has been a lot more incidents that were kept out of the media.

http://www.themanufacturer.com/uk/content/7737/Cadbury_receives__%A31_million_fine_over_salmonella_contamination

Just a quick trivia Jeffery Dahmer worked in a chocolate factory. Not that has anything to do with it.

And I read this as I'm scarfing down caramel filled chocolates.

Before this thread appeared, I ordered my son a box of see's. I'm diabetic, so it's off limits, and I think flowers are a waste of money (I'd rather have live ones in a pot).

So hopefully my son won't get any buggies from his v-day pressie.

MOO

Mel

ETA: to be honest, me and DH don't celebrate this made for Hallmark holiday anyway! But my teen enjoys the holiday!

Keep in mind the topic of the article was about how many chocolates, according to activists, fund some very bad activity, much like blood diamonds, do. That is why they are not happy, and want certifications like diamonds have. The bugs are a side issue....they just add protein, anyways. :crazy:

I suppose I don't understand peoples mind set sometimes. After all, chocolate is the 5th food group, right?

While I understand the protesters objections I think it's important to understand the region. These are 3rd world countries that are just trying to economically survive. Let's be honest, corruption exist at several levels and the best occupation in countries like Nigeria is probably a 419'er Nigerian scammer. That is of course if you don't work for an oil company.

There are internal struggles between governments and rebels who raid cities and kidnapping corporate executives and peace comes for a price. On the other side of Africa, the most highest paying jobs seem to be ship hijackers demanding ransoms. Governments can't and don't have the ability to end the struggles between the poor and those the poor can extort money from.

People need an economy, you can ship clothing material to Nigeria but you can't ship sewn clothing. They are trying to encourage people to work in industry. Most homes require a generator because electric service is too unreliable, scarce and expensive. The general population is too poor to afford a generator.

Food is scarce and the selection of food is poor. Even people selling fertilizer have been found to cheat farmers in the quality so they can grow their own food.

These people have serious issues of every day survival and it's a wonder the cocoa fields aren't producing cocaine (as some are)

I have trouble getting behind a chocolate boycott because it provides jobs for people to help their families survive. Their pay disputes are not something I consider when buying a box of chocolate. IMO

Before this thread appeared, I ordered my son a box of see's. I'm diabetic, so it's off limits, and I think flowers are a waste of money (I'd rather have live ones in a pot).

So hopefully my son won't get any buggies from his v-day pressie.

MOO

Mel

ETA: to be honest, me and DH don't celebrate this made for Hallmark holiday anyway! But my teen enjoys the holiday!

Actually it isn't a made for Hallmark holiday. It's the feast day of St. Valentine, a Christian martyr, who is the patron saint of love and lovers. It became more commercialized over time, but at least it stays true to the theme of his patronage.

ETA: I'm guessing you're British? ("pressie")

I am allergic to Chocolate, nuts and coconut. I never have, never will support the chocolate industry :innocent::crazy:

I also cannot stand the smell of many flowers, and it gives me migraines ( probably another allergy lol) :loser:

Bacon cheeseburger, and a six pack is the way to my heart;) :rocker::rocker::rocker:

AHHHH!!!

:panic::panic::panic::panic:
Chocolate is transported directly from Willy Wonka's factory by magic elves and is beyond contamination,politics and profiteering.
It is a Pure Good in a troubled world and I refuse to entertain any other point of view.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back