GUILTY AK - Patrick & Sherry Kelley for abusing 5 adopted children, Wasilla, 2004

sarainak

Inactive
Reaction score
Mat-Su Valley

Wasilla couple arrested and charged of two-month investigation. This couple beat, starved, denied medical care and kept them from school. They hit the children with shovels and metal pipes. They let maggots hatch on one boys' burn.

This is one of the worst cases I've seen in my state. I am very familiar with the area and this just irks me that these people were still gettign over 3,000 a month, for foster care support for these children even after they were adopted.
http://www.adn.com/front/story/5555481p-5490537c.html

http://www.ktuu.com/CMS/anmviewer.asp?a=4782&z=4

How much did George and Shirley Long know about what was happening on their daughter’s property in the spring and summer of 2004?

Did they know enough that it was a crime not to contact law enforcement?

snip

Patrick and Sherry Kelley, along with their adopted children, lived on a plot of land next door to Sherry’s parents in the Big Lake area. The Kelleys’ case took years to wind through the legal system and in the end the pair were sentenced to time served for neglect and abuse of their adopted children.

snip

For their part, George Long, 69, and Shirley Long, 63, are charged with assault and failing to report child abuse. The assault charge relates to an incident Assistant District Attorney Rachel Gernat describes as George tying up a child in a dog run. Defense attorney John Pharr said that incident was minor and brief.

http://www.frontiersman.com/articles/2008/08/17/local_news/doc48a7d25916b28579216626.txt

THERE.ARE.NO.WORDS.:furious::furious::furious:

Reading the dispositions on this case actually made me sick to my stomach. Here they are:

Father - Patrick Kellye
Offense: Assault 2- Injury w/ Weapon, Intent Disposition: Dismissed by Prosecution
Offense: Assault 2- Serious Injury, Repeated Disposition: Dismissed by Prosecution
Offense: Assault 3- Cause Fear of Injury Disposition: Dismissed by Prosecution
Offense: 4th Degree Assault/Recklessly Injure Disposition: Dismissed by Prosecution
Offense: Assault 4- Cause Fear of Injury Disposition: Dismissed by Prosecution
Offense: Reckless Endangerment Disposition: Dismissed by Prosecution
Offense: Kidnapping-Injury or Sexual Assault Disposition: Dismissed by Prosecution
Offense: Criminal Nonsupport Disposition: Dismissed by Prosecution
Offense: Endanger Welfare Minor 1 Disposition: No Contest Plea/Time Served

Mother - Sherry Kelley
Offense: Assault 2- Injury w/ Weapon, Intent Disposition: Dismissed by Prosecution
Offense: Assault 2- Serious Injury, Repeated Disposition: Dismissed by Prosecution
Offense: Assault 3- Cause Fear of Injury w/ Wea Disposition: Dismissed by Prosecution
Offense: Assault 3- Cause Injury w/ Weapon Disposition: No Contest Plea/Time Served
Offense: 4th Degree Assault- Recklessly Injure Disposition: Dismissed by Prosecution
Offense: Assault 4- Cause Fear of Injury Disposition: Dismissed by Prosecution
Offense: Reckless Endangerment Disposition: Dismissed by Prosecution
Offense: Kidnapping- Injury or Sexual Assault Disposition: Dismissed by Prosecution
Offense: Criminal Nonsupport Disposition: Dismissed by Prosecution
Offense: Criminal Nonsupport Disposition: No Contest Plea/Time Served

Grandfather - George Long
Offense: 4th Degree Assault- Recklessly Injure Disposition: Dismissed by Prosecution
Offense: 4th Degree Assault- Recklessly Injure Disposition: Guilty After Trial/ No Jail
Offense: Fail to Report Violent Crime Agnst Child Disposition: Acquitted After Trial
Offense: Fail to Report Violent Crime Agnst Child Disposition: Dismissed by Prosecution
Offense: Harrassment- Offensive Phys Contact Disposition: Dismissed by Prosecution

Grandmother - Shirley Long
Offense: Fail to Report Violent Crime Agnst Child Disposition: Acquitted After Trial

I have never been so angry over a case. These children were tortured mercilessly and everybody responsible walked away with time served, if any.

I am just steaming over this case. Is there anyone from this area that has any rumor mill information as to why this case was handled this way?

Does anybody know of a way to find out why the prosecutors let these people walk?

Kelley was arrested in Sept. 2004 and faced 54 charges of child abuse, including assault, reckless endangerment and kidnapping. All but three of the charges were eventually dropped, and today at her sentencing she told an Anchorage Superior Court judge that any abuse suffered by the children was not due to her.

http://poundpuplegacy.org/node/21244

oh so they played a 'blame each other' game and it worked.....no one got the blame :(

The parents each served 2 years waiting for trial and that's it. This just chaps my *ss. The levels of torture here are horrific. I just cannot believe they walked on this. I would give anything to know what the justification was for dismissing so many charges. They had the kids themselves to testify to the horrors they endured. I don't get this at all.

May 2014:

decade after Alaska State Troopers rescued the five Kelley children and exposed the harsh world of the family's Big Lake compound, another chapter is closing.

The boy injured all those years ago this month won a $1 million settlement in a lawsuit against the state Office of Children's Services.
In the settlement this month, the state didn't admit any wrongdoing...

She told him to run. He hid under a chicken coop in the woods. Troopers found him there.

He was 10 years old.

T.J. spent the next three weeks in the hospital, undergoing skin grafts and treatment for malnourishment. The hospital stay was bliss.

"I got food and a bed and a TV, people to see and talk to," he said.

One of Sherry Kelley's sisters took the children in after that, but things disintegrated there too.

At age 12, T.J. moved in with a new foster family in the Valley, the Whites. Life improved. He built forts. He went halibut fishing. He played football and ran track at Palmer High. He was almost 16 when the Whites adopted him. He graduated high school in 2012 though he doesn't think he ever caught up completely. He could barely read when troopers rescued him from the Kelleys.

Much more here:
http://www.adn.com/article/20140517...ived-1m-settlement-nightmarish-path-adulthood

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back