GUILTY SC - James Cockman, 71, Greenville, 14 Sept 2004

ShowerSinger

Reaction score
Greenville, S.C.
Former Sara Lee Executive
Missing since Tuesday
Foul Play Suspected
Went to sell a vehicle to a couple--a SUV that is also missing
His jaguar was found with the keys in the ignition, his cell phone and some money

GOWENSVILLE, S.C. -- Investigators are releasing new information about the disappearance of a retired Greenville County businessman, an incident detective are now calling a possible abduction.

James David Cockman, 71, was reported missing Tuesday afternoon after he went to meet a person about selling a silver 1996 Chevy Suburban.

The incident report states that after a phone call, Cockman met with someone at the vehicle, parking in a vacant lot at the interchange of Highway 11 and Highway 14, shortly after 6 p.m. Monday. The man gave Cockman a $100 down payment, and arranged to meet him again at 10 a.m. Tuesday to pay a balance of $8,400 for the vehicle, according to the report.

http://www.thecarolinachannel.com/news/3731864/detail.html

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/archive/2004/09/17/national1233EDT0538.DTL

Friday, September 17, 2004
Investigators searching for former Sara Lee executive missing since Tuesday

09-17) 09:33 PDT GREENVILLE, S.C. (AP) --

Investigators searched Friday for a former top executive at Sara Lee Corp. who disappeared after he went to meet a couple about buying his sport utility vehicle.

"There's a strong possibility of foul play," sheriff's spokesman Sgt. Shea Smith said Friday.

James Cockman, 71, was last seen Tuesday morning when he bought a cup of coffee at a convenience store near a lot where he was to meet the couple, sheriff's officials said.

His wife, Cathy Cockman, said he did not mention the couple's names to her but they paid him a $100 down payment on the SUV and he had gone to collect the remaining $8,400.

When he missed an appointment, she called police and drove to the meeting site, where she found the door of his car ajar, she said.

Investigators at first treated the incident as a missing person case but on Friday were considering the possibility Cockman was abducted.

Cockman became chairman and CEO of Sara Lee's PYA/Monarch division in Greenville in 1985 and later chairman of Sara Lee Foodservice before retiring in 1992.

Friends and family posted a $50,000 reward.

With HOPE, Lanie
Help For The Missing
HelpForTheMissing@yahoo.com

Greetings!

We need your help locating Mr. James Cockman, missing since September 14, 2004.

Mr. James Cockman is a dear friend of Chef Paul Prudhomme's and appears to have been possibly abducted. We hope that you can help us with this missing persons case.

The local police and FBI have been working the case. Several businessmen have posted a $50,000 reward for information leading to his return.

Mr Cockman is a very high profile individual in Greenville, South Carolina. Some of his accomplishments include:

* Former chairman of the Greenville Chamber of Commerce
* Former chairman & CEO of Sara Lee Foodservice, before retiring in 1992
* Former president of Popsicles, Inc.
* President of FENCE equestrian organization
* Founder and member of several other local and national charity foundations

We need your voice. Together we can generate national attention for this case by sending an email or calling the contacts listed below. Our mission is to bring James Cockman's disappearance to the national media's attention, so that he may be returned to his family safely. The more we all contact the media, the more likely Mr. Cockman's story will be aired!! Together we can help to locate this outstanding man.

The following is the missing person report created by local law enforcement:

JAMES DALE COCKMAN
W/M 71 YOA
DOB: 12/10/1932
5 FT 10 IN, 170 LBS, GRAY HAIR/BLUE EYES

LAST SEEN WEARING A WHITE POLO SHIRT WITH "H.L. HUNLEY" AND DARK SLACKS.

COCKMAN WAS LAST SEEN ON 9/14/2004 AT 9:45 A.M. WHEN HE LEFT TO MEET AN INDIVIDUAL WHO WAS BUYING A VEHICLE FROM HIM. COCKMAN WAS TO MEET THIS SUBJECT AT HWY 14 & 11, IN GREENVILLE, SOUTH CAROLINA.

COCKMAN'S VEHICLE, A 99 JAGUAR WAS FOUND AT THE LOCATION ABANDONED, AND THE VEHICLE HE WAS SELLING IS NOW MISSING, A 1996 GMC SUBURBAN, TAG-SC/FM79075, VIN: 3GKGK25F8TG501299. SILVER IN COLOR. TAG ON FRONT "FENCE". FOUL PLAY IS SUSPECTED.

IF YOU HAVE ANY INFORMATION ABOUT MR. COCKMAN'S WHEREABOUTS, PLEASE CALL SGT. SHEA SMITH (864) 470-7431 OR (864) 467- 5418.

Good Morning America (GMA)
Lisa Sharkey
lisa.sharkey@abc.com

Weekend GMA
Courtney Chapman
courtney.chapman@abc.com

Today (weekday)
Betsy Alexander

CBS Early Show
Janice DeRosa
jjd@cbs.com

CNN's American Morning
Jamie Zahn

Fox & Friends Weekend
Jose Lesh
jose.lesh@foxnews.com

Thanks in advance for all of your help -
Chef Paul Prudhomme
email: info@chefpaul.com
phone: 504 731 3590
web: http://www.chefpaul.com

With HOPE, Lanie
Help For The Missing
HelpForTheMissing@yahoo.com

DUNCAN MANSFIELD
Associated Press
September 23, 2004

SEVIERVILLE, Tenn. - The body of a retired South Carolina businessman was found frozen in a storage unit and a Sevierville couple arrested Thursday in what federal authorities believe may have been a bungled carjacking and accidental death.

"The interpretation I have right now is that his death was an accident," R. Joe Clark, special agent in charge of the FBI office in Knoxville, said of the victim, James Dale Cockman, 71, of Greenville, S.C.

Clark said an autopsy will be impossible until the victim's body thaws, but authorities believe he suffocated en route to Tennessee. Court documents said Cockman's mouth was covered by duct tape.

David Wendell Edens, 34, and Jennifer Annette Holloway, 27, were arrested without incident at their rural home and charged with carjacking. They had an initial federal court appearance Thursday in Knoxville and were being held by U.S. marshals.

Authorities were able to piece together what happened based on a statement from Holloway.

Additional charges for kidnapping were expected and possibly for murder, pending the autopsy, Clark said. Meanwhile, state kidnapping charges were filed in South Carolina.

Clark said the suspects made no attempt to contact Cockman's family for ransom since his disappearance Sept. 14.

Asked their plan, Clark said, "I don't believe they had a plan."

Cockman was last seen when he bought a cup of coffee at a convenience store in northern Greenville County near a lot where he was supposed to meet a couple interested in buying his 1996 GMC Suburban sport utility vehicle.

Cockman had received a $100 deposit on the vehicle the evening before from the suspects and was to collect the remaining $8,400 at the meeting the next day.

A criminal complaint filed by Greenville-based FBI Agent Martin Brown said the suspects traveled to South Carolina to steal Cockman's vehicle.

Holloway told authorities "that they ... met Jim at the site where the Suburban was parked. They forced Jim into the rear of the Suburban, placed duct tape on his mouth and drove the Suburban away. They traveled directly to their residence in Tennessee," Brown wrote.

"When they got here they realized their victim was dead," Clark told a news conference. "Mr. Eden put him in a deep freeze and took the deep freeze to a storage facility and left it there. Why I don't know."

Clark said the FBI was able to identify Holloway's cell phone number from calls during the car deal and were able track it to Sevierville.

Authorities obtained a search warrant and went to the suspects' home in this Great Smoky Mountains community.

"We didn't know if we had subjects or if we had witnesses or what we had," Clark said. "But we knew these people needed to be interviewed and as a result she (Holloway) provided us the information indicating, yes they did kidnap Mr. Cockman, they did carjack the vehicle.

"And the warrant for her arrest indicates he suffocated en route," Clark said.

Clark said Edens refused to talk to authorities, who recovered Cockman's Suburban at the home.

Authorities said they could not find any connection between the victim and the suspects. Holloway had misdemeanor arrests for shoplifting and forged checks in her past but no violence. Edens' criminal history was unknown.

"We don't know if there is a past history, if this was a random act," Clark said. "We don't know if they have done this before. We don't know if they were planning to do it again. We don't know if this was just a spur of the moment, whim thrill.

"Tragically, an individual has died as a result of this," he said.

Friends of Cockman had offered a reward of $50,000 for information leading to the arrest and conviction of a suspect, sheriff's Sgt. Shea Smith said.

Cockman moved to Greenville in 1985 as chairman and chief executive of Sara Lee's PYA/Monarch division, then became chairman of Sara Lee Foodservice before retiring in 1992.

Cockman played a major role in transforming Greenville into an urban and industrial hub. He was chairman of the chamber of commerce when BMW announced it was locating a manufacturing plant in the Upstate in 1992.

Renowned chef Paul Prudhomme was trying to spread the word about Cockman's disappearance.

Prudhomme had known Cockman about 15 years since the two served together on the board of directors at the California Culinary Academy of San Francisco, said Shawn McBride, CEO of Prudhomme's company Magic Seasoning Blends
http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/9741079.htm

HOw tragic. Whether it was an accident or not it was murder just the same. I hope justice is served.

OMG.. he was found frozen.. that is just terrible :(

How very sad. Wonder why a man in his position would go by himself to sell his car?

I am now in midst of selling my Volvo but I don't want people coming to my house as I'm single and live alone. I sure as heck don't want to get into the car when they test drive it........so have now taken the car to my daugther and son in laws house........Much safer.

This is just a terrible tragedy!

xxxxxxxoooooooo
mama

Love_Mama said:
How very sad. Wonder why a man in his position would go by himself to sell his car?

I am now in midst of selling my Volvo but I don't want people coming to my house as I'm single and live alone. I sure as heck don't want to get into the car when they test drive it........so have now taken the car to my daugther and son in laws house........Much safer.
Don't you worry about your daughter and son-in-law, though? I never used to think it was dangerous to sell a car, but I'm thinking twice, now. Anymore, I'm afraid someone will come to scope out may family/house and return at a later date. I was thinking that was why the car this man was selling wasn't at his house.

I wonder how this couple knew about his SUV being for sale since it was in another state? Did he advertise it on the internet or possibly in some kind of car trader paper?

Also, I wonder how they traveled to SC from TN...was another vehicle located somewhere abandoned by them?

I have a feeling that this wasn't an accidental death...didn't they notice that he was being awfully quiet? I think the autopsy will show that he was killed by them and it wasn't an accident. The scenario that Ms. Holloway gives about Mr. Cockman being placed in the back of the SUV with duct tape covering his mouth and them finding him dead upon arrival at their home in TN just doesn't sound right.

Lady Sleuth
JMHO

Why take the man in the first place? Ransom? They blew that from the get-go. This is like the "wardrobe malfunction" defense. Planned poorly, but still planned.

fourboys said:
Thoughts and prayers to the family of James D. Cockman.
May you know that you are not alone.

fourboys

Poor man! My thoughts and prayers go out to the family. How tragic. May he rest in peace.
Karen

Love_Mama said:

This is just a terrible tragedy!

xxxxxxxoooooooo
mama

I'm in the same situation, I have a car I would like to sell but I do not want to place an ad in the paper because I do not want to invite strangers to my house, nor do I want to have to go on test drives with people. If I knew of someone who was badly in need of a car I would donate it to them instead of selling, but at this point I'm thinking of donating to the Cancer Society so they will just come get it and be done with it. Besides, that would two good things. I'd remain safe and a good charity would get a good donation.

Maybe you could donate it to a missing persons family?
Just a thought, but if it is in working order, maybe someone that has a missing loved one could benefit from having a car to go out and post flyers, visit relatives, go to the police stations, and so forth. Just a thought again. If you do indeed want to donate it, try posting this on the missing forum. Maybe one of the Angels there, might know of a needy family.

fourboys

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back