Billy Ray Cyrus: 'Hannah Montana' destroyed family

Dark Knight

Reaction score
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Billy Ray Cyrus says the Disney TV show "Hannah Montana" destroyed his family, causing his divorce and sending daughter Miley Cyrus spinning out of control.

In a December interview published in the Feb. 22 issue of GQ Magazine, Cyrus said he wished the show that launched his daughter to pop stardom had never happened.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110215/ap_on_en_tv/us_people_billy_ray_cyrus

Note to all parents: do not put young children into show business.

I am sorry he feels this way, but he helped launch her. If he hadn't a clue all he needed to do was take a look around, Britney Spears, Lindsey Lohan, Gary Coleman and the list goes on and on and on......

Show business and or music is no where for a child imo ....

Him saying he wished the show and th efame never happened is a far cry from blaming the show or disney IMO. The headlines are sensationalizing the situation a bit. I mean, he can't really blame the show or the network for his own choices regarding letting his daughter forrey into show business. His choices drove that show coming about. I understand his regret and don't blame him, but I wish the media would get it right. The headline makes him seem stupid, as if the show ruined his life rather than he and Tish's own choices.

Ummm NO...his hair styles within the last 20 years destroyed life as we know it.

It sounds like Billy Ray and Miley's mom didn't do any parenting (trying to be Miley's friend instead); and now that she's 18, he has no control over her anymore. Maybe Lindsay will get sent to jail and Miley can take her spot as Hollywood's Biggest Trainwreck while she's away. :D BTW, she's hanging out with the same people who sent the other teen star Demi Lovato to rehab; they were the people in the bong video who released the video and other private images and stuff. Her new "friends" + no longer working for Disney + legal age + = Trainwreck :D

Note to all parents: do not put young children into show business.

Nancy, was it Kat in another thread said we should start one about child actors? How many turned out just right? O/T, but I was thinking ummmmm Alyssa Milano? The chick that played Kelly Bundy too?

Sad for this Miley girl. She has alot of stage prescence. Actual talent as a vocalist.

Snipped from the article:

Cyrus says in the interview that he tried too hard to be a friend instead of a parent to his daughter.

That right there ^^^^^^^

"nuff said.

Why didn't Billy think to be a parent long ago while he rode the money train? Funny how they all start to complain when things start to fall apart. He and the wife were a friend to their child instead of parents, then they wonder what went wrong?? Doe....

I wish Miley all the best in life and hope she is just going to spread her wings a bit and grow out of it.

Note: the kid on the show with Alyssa Milano turned out pretty good too, the one who played her brother and some of those kids from the other sitcom, ah Cameron I think his name is.

Goz

Well, Alyssa's brother on Who's the Boss showed off his privates on some Webcam. LOL. So um, whatever floats his boat. And then Kirk Cameron is a bit weird nowadays. He got a girl fired from Growing Pains because she posed for Playboy, he refuses to kiss another girl in a film because he's married, and on his website, he had a quiz called, "Are you going to hell?"

It seems that for a lot of these child/teen stars, if they don't end up on drugs, they are just weird in the head, like there is something off. But I don't think you can really compare Miley to teen stars of the past because back then, it was just Tiger Beat that wrote about stuff and they sugarcoated everything; now you have the Internet and nothing is a secret. It does seem like the bigger the teen star, the more likely he or she will be messed up as an adult (see: Corey Haim) and Miley is definitely a big teen star.

It is sad in a way that the whole country has been waiting to see whether or not she becomes a train-wreck since Hannah Montana premiered. You never hear people talking about future train-wreck Dakota Fanning. I remember when HM premiered and if she does become a hot mess, it's going to be weird to know that I watched it happen.

But anyway I look at all her scandals in 2 ways...One, this could be the worst that she'll be and she'll grow up fine or these scandals could be the beginning of a downward spiral. I've heard rumors of her doing cocaine and heroin; obviously just rumors, but she is in Hollywood where there is plenty of drugs. It wouldn't surprise me at all if she tried that stuff at least once.

I did not know about the privates being shown then again, I don't study these stars in depth. I just never heard of him doing anything.
Kirk Cameron is a Born Again Christian so his beliefs may be different from those that are not of his faith. If that makes him weird, so be it.

Goz

I did not know about the privates being shown then again, I don't study these stars in depth. I just never heard of him doing anything.
Kirk Cameron is a Born Again Christian so his beliefs may be different from those that are not of his faith. If that makes him weird, so be it.

Goz

I agree. Kirk Cameron has morals which may make him seem weird because we don't see a whole lot of morals these days. As for Miley, I'm thinking them being friends instead of parents may be more the cause for her behavior than the show. And the money certainly doesn't help.

Nancy, was it Kat in another thread said we should start one about child actors? How many turned out just right? O/T, but I was thinking ummmmm Alyssa Milano? The chick that played Kelly Bundy too?

Sad for this Miley girl. She has alot of stage prescence. Actual talent as a vocalist.

Hi Filly! I had suggested a child actor thread for the PL on the LL thread.:crazy:

Here's a link to a site to find whatever happened to ?

http://www.weht.net/showtopic.php?topic=11

Danica McKellar from the Wonder Years seems to have turned out OK. She's a postive role model for girls.....smart and beautiful! MOO

wm :)

As much as Miley Cyrus annoys me, I don't think she's done anything that a lot of normal teenagers don't do....she just happens to be in the limelight. I mean, how many of us drank when we were underage or experimented with drugs or had sex too early? I'm not saying it's right, I am just saying more teenagers than not do these things.

I also don't think that her parents are necessarily bad parents, at least her father is now realizing his mistakes. Hindsight is always, always 20/20. Hopefully Miley is just going through a rebellious phase. She's still very young, I have hope she'll be just fine.

Patty Duke talks about the perils of being a child star often. I adored her in her show when I was a child. She lived a tough life due to those early years.
She is an accomplished woman and a great advocate for Depression.
Read her book if you have not. I think she would excel as a speaker to young actors.

Goz

I'm glad Billy Ray finally realized he was being used. It has seemed for awhile that he was supporting her actions but the article I read says he has finally realized he was being used to throw any bad publicity his way rather than Miley's. I've had a lot of respect for him through the years and it's good to see he now sees what's going on.

I think it's a bit of a cop-out to say "troubles" are the natural result of being a child actor/singer, as this removes the responsibility of the individual kids and their families. There should be ample warning to families about what stardom can do to kids, so they should consider themselves forewarned, and not blame the stardom when their kids end up a mess. Plenty of kid actors/singers end up okay - that wasn't just luck.

I am not a fan of kid stardom, really, but if my kid had a strong desire, drive and talent, and the constitution to handle it, I wouldn't stand in his way. Some people just know what they were meant to do younger than others, and I wouldn't be the one to derail his aspirations. I'd just make sure he was doing his homework and taking out the trash, etc, etc, during.

Remember those picures Billy posed with Miley for??? Bad, bad, bad judgement. And they gave me the creeps. Totally inappropriate. But Disney probably put them up to that, too.

maybe this will seem harsh but here goes: oh boohoo to Billy Ray. The man was in the industry YEARS before he pimped out his daughter, so he's is no innocent bird here... he knew what he was getting into by his own experience in the entertainment industry.

Even before Disney got Miley, she was a brat... I remember him doing an interview with one of those tv magazine shows (ET, maybe?), making her a part of it when she was a teeny tiny thing, and OMG, she was running around all over their ranch being a rude little kid... not cute... RUDE. Billy Ray has been putting that child out there on the public stage for attention since she was a baby. (How much you want to bet he courted Disney to get her on...).

Hey Billy Ray: you have to own the blame, too. And hey, it is not just Miley you are dealing with... you let your tween, Noah, create a lingerie line for kids and work in the industry as well.

No TV show or fame can ruin a child - if they have a solid family life and parents that keep them grounded. While there are many child actors who have "issues", there are some that do not.

For example, I remember reading about Emma Watson (from the Harry Potter movies) not knowing that she was worth millions b/c her parents kept her in the dark about it and gave her a $75/week allowance as a teen: http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20438345,00.html

Other child actors/performers that seem well-grounded: Jodie Foster, Natalie Portman, Jonas Brothers, etc.

I do think the pressure of a child with so much fame can take over and the entire focus for a family - and it takes a lot to keep that family sane, functional, and a nurturing/supportive environment.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back