New Forum!

WhyaDuck?

Inactive
Reaction score
The Highway of Tears is one of Canada's most tragic and haunting mysteries. Specifically referring to Highway 16 in BC, but seemingly collecting victims from across Canada's west, observers have estimated more than 500 women, most of them Native and/or troubled youths, have been killed or kidnapped on the route between BC and Saskatchewan.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26708"]500 native women who have disappeared or been murdered in the last 20 years - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

This forum needs volunteers to get it up and running. We need to start populating this forum with threads dedicated to the missing persons, UID and victims of unsolved murders, to government/LE and community initiatives, and theories as to what is going on in this region of the country.

Why are we losing so many women? And how can we help?

I am very proud of this forum, and I think WS can provide an excellent resource for these cases. Hundreds of family and community members are longing for justice and closure. My heart goes out to the victims and those who love them. I hope we can help.

The Highway of Tears is one of Canada's most tragic and haunting mysteries. Specifically referring to Highway 16 in BC, but seemingly collecting victims from across Canada's west, observers have estimated more than 500 women, most of them Native and/or troubled youths, have been killed or kidnapped on the route between BC and Saskatchewan.

500 native women who have disappeared or been murdered in the last 20 years - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

This forum needs volunteers to get it up and running. We need to start populating this forum with threads dedicated to the missing persons, UID and victims of unsolved murders, to government/LE and community initiatives, and theories as to what is going on in this region of the country.

Why are we losing so many women? And how can we help?

I am very proud of this forum, and I think WS can provide an excellent resource for these cases. Hundreds of family and community members are longing for justice and closure. My heart goes out to the victims and those who love them. I hope we can help.

TY VERY MUCH FOR THIS FORUM! I truly appreciate that WS is getting involved in this case. I Was born and raised in British Columbia and now am crurrently living in Calgary, Alberta. The numbers of women who go missing on this highway and in and around Vancouver area are Mind boggling. I lived in Vancouver for 11 years, the last few that I was living there, a certain "pig Farmer" had been found and the investigation was EVERYWHERE. It saddens me that so many of these women were/are Native. I look forward to reading this forum and helping in any way I can. And I am always up for a road trip! TY AGAIN!

:bump:

We could use more readers, researchers and verified posters in this forum. Please forward the link to anyone you feel might be interested in helping us get this forum off the ground.

Thanks for all the positive feedback we have received so far - it has meant a lot to us all.

I am so glad this case has a forum.

I started following when a friend in Canada started telling me about it before Project Kare was formed. They had a rocky start and at one time it was rumored someone there might be involved. People were Jumpy. People had good reason to be jumpy. In 2003 Willy Picktons serial murders were discoved in the most horrible crimes agaisnt woman I think I have ever read about in addition to the Highway of tears.

I always wanted to explore the relationships and attitudes of the men of this part of
canada towards woman as I suspect them to have aided in the progression . Not just the area that has been explored with the targeted women of these crimes but on a whole.
I have always felt woman in the area to all be treated as second rate and while my thoughts are not decided firm on the opinion they are at least partly validated by the criminal justice system and there jail sentances.

Please place suggestions for forum improvement in this thread, as the project is still under construction and we are still deciding on how best to organize, etc.

And, of course, feel free to start threads as you see fit.

A word about how we are organizing victim threads...

To be honest, I am uneasy with the whole "official" versus "unofficial" categories, as it seems this division has largely been made due to resources needs by the E-Pana project. However, LE notes that these divisions were also made based on likelihood of case connections (via similarities), and other factors.

We have decided to start out this forum with a focus on the Highway 16 section between Prince Rupert and Prince George, and with a primary focus on victims listed on LE "official" lists, or on lists compiled by other official sources, such as the 2006 Symposium report. These were the women who got their own threads in the initial start-up of the forum.

"Unofficial" victims are in no way less important to us! I think we can all agree that each missing or murdered person deserves justice, no matter what "list" they get put on.

However, to keep the forum manageable at this early stage, we have decided to place victims not on any of the existing Highway of Tears lists in the "Missing/Located" section of WS. This was also to make sure we didn't create a false connection, since we are not privy to the case files.

Nevertheless, we are eager for all missing/murdered people to get the attention they deserve, so any missing or murdered person who might have any connection to the Highway is welcome here. Our hope that linking them here will get the cases more attention than they might get as individual cold cases.

The middle path we have decided on is to keep general threads for "unofficial victims" where their profiles can be listed, and then to make them a case thread in an appropriate part of WS and link here.

Further, UID persons possibly linked to the Highway will have their main discussion threads in the UID forum, where regular researchers are apt to pay more attention to the cases. They will be linked here through profile lists and/or locked threads to make sure all the discussion is kept in one place.

Again, this in no way implies that we care less about them or wish to "exile" them, but to manage the information in the most efficient ways possible.

Please, take a moment to explore the "unofficial" cases, here:

[ame="http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129108"]Non-Official Victims: Deceased (Discussion Thread) - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

[ame="http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129109"]Non-Official Victims: Missing (Discussion Thread) - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

And do let us know what you think about this, as the forum is still in a state of flux, and we are certainly open to feedback!

Thanks, folks.

Does anyone have a contact in the Terrace/Burns lake area? Also has the BSI in Virgina looked at this. I'm not a big fan of John Douglas sometimes however I'm sure his team can come up with some kind of profile.
Damn puzzling.

sp

I am so shocked by the Highway of Tears! I think Dateline or any of these shows should showcase this huge mystery! Does anyone think that Angeline Pete could be apart of this? So sad, I pray for her and her family too!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It5AGKLNwqw"]Kathy Frank - Highway Of Tears Video - YouTube[/ame]

From the Highway of Tears website:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ij-hdU6cFRs&feature=related"]From the Highway of Tears website - YouTube[/ame]

UN Committee to Conduct Inquiry into missing and murdered cases of aboriginal women across Canada
12/13/2011

The Native Women's Association of Canada says a United Nations committee will conduct an inquiry into the murders and disappearances of aboriginal women and girls across Canada. The U-N Committee on the Elimination of Discrimination against Women is made up of 23 independent experts from around the world.

The Native Women's Association and Canadian Feminist Alliance requested the inquiry earlier this year. Spokesperson Jeannette Corbiere Lavell says violence against aboriginal women and girls is a national tragedy but the Canadian government has failed to take effective action.

www.highwayoftears.ca/NEWS-Starting Oct-2011.htm#Tensions_at_Missing_Womens_inquiry_boil_over_

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back