Canada - Lana Derrick, 19, Terrace, BC, October 1995

WhyaDuck?

Inactive
Reaction score
Lana%20Derrick_1995.jpg

Age 19, disappeared on October 7th, 1995. Last seen at a gas station near Terrace, BC (Thornhill), traveling East on Highway 16 to her home in the Hazelton area. She was enrolled in studies at Northwest Community College in Terrace.

http://www.ubcic.bc.ca/files/PDF/highwayoftearsfinal.pdf

Just 10 months after Leah's murder, 19-year-old college student Lana Derrick disappeared from a gas station on Highway 16 in Thornhill.

Lana was a shy, bespectacled young forestry student who loved the outdoors and nature.

"She worked hard. She liked school," Sally Gibson said of her niece during an interview in the native town of Gitwangak.

On the first weekend of October, 1995, Lana made the 265-kilometre trek along Highway 16 to go to her mother's Thornhill house for the weekend.

The last known person she spoke to on Sat., Oct. 7, 1995 was a close friend, who said Lana told her around 3 a.m. that she was partying in town with some people she knew with a car.

Police said they had a surveillance video from a local gas station, where a clerk remembers Lana coming inside to buy cigarettes while a car with two men waited outside.

Lana's relatives in Terrace launched a search, but the police participated for only three days.

"All of a sudden we were told the time was up and they'd take it from there. But they didn't," said Gibson.

"They just didn't care. As far as I'm concerned, they still don't care," said a teary-eyed Gibson, who is also the aunt of victim Alberta Williams.

http://www2.canada.com/nanaimodailynews/news/story.html?id=2334742

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=24737203268

Lana Derrick MISSING PERSON
Aged 19,at the time of her disappearence
Dark brown hair;
brown eyes
disappeared Oct. 7, 1995,
at a service station in Thornhill
After she left a house party 3:30am
while home from school or the weekend. Lana was enrolled in forestry studies at Northwest Community College.
If you have any information concerning Lana call the nearest RCMP or Police
Crimestoppers 1-800-222-TIPS or call
Missing Women's Task Force
877-687-3377
Ray Michalko 1-866-962-5585

http://www.theprovince.com/touch/story.html?id=9854673
VANCOUVER - Sally Gibson has been waiting nearly two decades for answers about what became of her niece, a 19-year-old forestry student from a small First Nation in northern British Columbia who vanished along the Highway of Tears.

There's the official story: Lana Derrick was out with some friends and at some point ended up in a car with two unidentified men, with whom she was last seen at a gas station along Highway 16 near Terrace in the early morning of Oct. 7, 1995.

But that's just one of the many theories, rumours and guesses Gibson and her relatives have heard over the years, a painful reminder that no one — not the family, not the police — has any idea about what happened.

"We have heard so many different stories and have been told so many different things that we don't even know," said Gibson from her home in Gitanyow, the First Nations reserve where Derrick grew up.

"It isn't like Lana died and we went and buried her and the pain will go away. She totally disappeared. That's an open wound."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/inside-out-portraits-mmwi-1.3547385
mmiw-toronto-portrait.jpg
19-year-old Lana Derrick went missing in the early hours of Oct. 6, 1995. RCMP say she was last seen at a gas station on Highway 16 just outside Terrace, B.C. early that morning. (Ron Wild/Missing & Murdered)

Faces of missing and murdered indigenous women are popping up on vacant buildings in Regina and Toronto.

The portraits are part of a global art project called Inside Out started by French street artist JR.

People from all over the world send JR portraits that he prints into pasteable posters to be publicly displayed. The idea is to turn personal identity into art to convey a message or make a statement.

Ron Wild, an artist originally from Regina now working and living in Toronto, wanted to bring attention to an national issue – missing and murdered indigenous women.

This is the other recent mention of Lana in the media, oddly the author of the book and former LE, has received tips about many of the women, but none concerning missing Terrace women Lana Derrick or Tamara Chipman.
April 6 2016
http://www.terracestandard.com/news/374744991.html

81850terraceraymichalko.jpg

When Michalko began his search way back in early 2006, seven women were missing or had been found murdered along the highway, which grew to nine – the number Michalko talks about in his book – then jumped to 18 when the RCMP decided to add more cases, some from Alberta and some from further south in B.C., saying they were related.

His search for answers began with placing an ad in papers in the northwest, asking anyone with information to come forward and talk to him.

Michalko believed that someone out there knew something but was afraid to talk to the police.

A friend laughed at him, saying he’d never get any replies to his ad; however, Michalko was swamped with tips.

Over the years, he has travelled to Terrace and Prince George several times, and to Smithers, and Houston to investigate further.

He’s met with tipsters and has wanted to share his information with police, but says he’s never heard back from the authorities.

Now, he says he can’t escape from the cases and his investigations.

“I’ve given up on the idea [of quitting]. The only way I’ll escape is to retire and disconnect my phone and email. I can’t sit still so I don’t see that happening in the near future.”

Michalko added that of the tips that he still receives, none are about missing Terrace women Lana Derrick or Tamara Chipman.
rbbm.

Lana Derrick was in college studying Forestry. Nicole Hoar was a tree planter in the forestry industry. This could be a coincendence that two of the missing Hwy of Tears victims had something like this in common but maybe not? I don't know. They were both also apparently last seen at gas stations. I wonder how many were last seen at gas stations.

http://www.theprovince.com/news/nat...+known+Highway+Tears+years/9854673/story.html
VANCOUVER - Sally Gibson has been waiting nearly two decades for answers about what became of her niece, a 19-year-old forestry student from a small First Nation in northern British Columbia who vanished along the Highway of Tears.
There's the official story: Lana Derrick was out with some friends and at some point ended up in a car with two unidentified men, with whom she was last seen at a gas station along Highway 16 near Terrace in the early morning of Oct. 7, 1995.
But that's just one of the many theories, rumours and guesses Gibson and her relatives have heard over the years, a painful reminder that no one — not the family, not the police — has any idea about what happened.
"We have heard so many different stories and have been told so many different things that we don't even know," said Gibson from her home in Gitanyow, the First Nations reserve where Derrick grew up.
"It isn't like Lana died and we went and buried her and the pain will go away. She totally disappeared. That's an open wound."
Derrick's disappearance brought her family into a community of loss and despair, joining the relatives of at least 18 women and girls who disappeared or were murdered along Highway 16 and two adjacent highways.

Hoping this is not completely out of line, but it is vaguely nagging at me, so will post this complete speculative suspicion, imo, fwiw.

When i think of a college student studying forestry i think of Sudbury Ont, a long way away, yet somehow the image of Lana reminds me of Renee Sweeney, a student murdered at her part time job in Sudbury.
Any chance this perp traveled the country?
imo.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/c...police-release-sketch-of-suspect-based-on-dna
attachment.php

Renee Sweeney Composite (Snapshot) of suspect
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...nada-Renee-Sweeney-23-Sudbury-Ont-27-Jan-1998

Attachments

• renee.jpg
    renee.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 41
Quite possibly dotr. Getting out of Dodge. I would like to know where exactly they post these phenotype snapshots. They should be posted all over the country one would think...like wanted posters. Post offices, malls, anywhere where large groups of the public gather. If they are only posted in police stations then they are not going to reach the wider audience. Perhaps they should be posting on milk cartons once again. IDK

Lana%20Derrick_1995.jpg

Age 19, disappeared on October 7th, 1995. Last seen at a gas station near Terrace, BC (Thornhill), traveling East on Highway 16 to her home in the Hazelton area. She was enrolled in studies at Northwest Community College in Terrace.

http://www.ubcic.bc.ca/files/PDF/highwayoftearsfinal.pdf
She was attending the Houston Campus at the time, not Terrace.
I wonder if the unidentified men she was last seen with were maybe students she knew?

Lana Derrick, 19, was a college student and visiting her mom in Terrace, B.C., when she went missing in the early hours of Oct. 6, 1995. RCMP say she was last seen at a gas station on Highway 16, otherwise known as the Highway of Tears, just outside town early that morning, but her family believes the last place she was seen alive was her friend Clarice’s house in Terrace. Since her disappearance, there has been no sign of her and her case is being handled by E-PANA, an RCMP task force that investigates deaths and disappearances tied to the Highway of Tears. Her case is still open.

Lana Derrick was taking a forestry program at a college in Houston, B.C.

“She just loved working outside, and logging and all that stuff that went with it. She was really good in her classes,” said Sally Gibson, Derrick’s aunt.

“She was really gung ho about going to college, and she was doing really good. She was happy.”

Whenever the 19-year-old got a break, she’d head home to Terrace for a visit.

On the night of Oct. 6, 1995, Derrick went to her friend Clarice’s house in her hometown around 3 a.m. She picked up some money and asked if Clarice wanted to go to a party with her. Clarice said no.

The RCMP has received reports that Derrick was seen at a gas station on Highway 16 near Terrace a little while later, but Gibson isn’t sure she was ever there.

It’s been almost 20 years, and there have been no developments in her disappearance.

Every year, her family organizes marches, talks to the media and tries to drum up clues about where she ended up, but there has been nothing.

Now, RCMP are in touch infrequently.

“Unless something comes up or there's some rumour going around that they don't want us to go googly-eyed about, we don't hear from [officers] much,” said Gibson.

Initially she was disgusted with the police investigation, she said.

“We were up and down the highway and searching everywhere ... and 72 hours later all of a sudden they told us, ‘OK, everybody go home now. We’ll let you know anything from now on,’” said Gibson.

“We said, ‘Excuse me. We’re not going anywhere.’”

The family continued to search, but never found a sign of Derrick.

Now, Gibson said contact with police is better, and the RCMP officer in charge of the case as well as another who has worked on it came to the most recent march they held for Derrick in October 2014.

“Here we thought, you know, we'll be lucky if a policeman comes out of the police station where we walked to,” said Gibson.

“When [Wayne] Clary and the policewoman that's on Lana's case investigation both showed up for the walk ... we almost fell over.”

Derrick’s case is part of an RCMP task force called E-PANA. It was launched to review and investigate a series of unsolved murders and disappearances with links to Highway 16, dubbed the Highway of Tears.

The investigation is trying to determine if a serial killer or killers is responsible for deaths and disappearances along major highways in B.C.

Gibson said one of the things that troubles the family the most is that they believe multiple people attacked Derrick.

“She was tough, you know, and that's what hurts her dad so bad because if something happened to her, it took more than one,” said Gibson.

While police have updated the family on possible suspects, and they assure them they are investigating, there have been no developments in the case.

For Gibson, it’s time for a national inquiry.

“We sure want one, and it just totally puzzles me. We thought we found out everything there was to find out about what the government has done to our people, but there must still be something,” said Gibson.

https://www.cbc.ca/missingandmurdered/mmiw/profiles/lana-patricia-derrick

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idrainuk
Back