GA GA - Nancy Stewart Wilke, 20, Waycross, 12 Aug 1967

AMP1979

Reaction score
I ran across this case a few years ago while researching the Mary Shotwell Little case. There are some MAJOR similarities. Both women had similar builds, were in their twenties, and had similar coloring. I actually think they look a bit a like.

The circumstances of their disappearances are also similar. Both were abducted after purchasing groceries, their cars were located in the parking lots with the groceries still inside.

I'm having a hard time finding more information.

Topix- her niece posted she's still missing.

Bradford County Telegraph- Look at the picture. I think she and Mary Little are of a similar type.

I had never heard of this case. Another Georgia missing to haunt me.

Clicking on the Topix link above and the news there is Nancy's killer was found guilty. On Mary Shotwell Little, take a look at Diane Shields. She replaced Mary at her job, by some accounts even used her same desk, and even had common room mates. All after Mary was gone. Then she is found dead. To me, Mary and Diane met the same "wrong" guy high up in banking. They both decided to marry and angered him. Or they could have been privy to some info that got them killed. Look at it and consider the possible red herrings in Mary's case. There's lots of info out there. My pet case is Carlene Sessions Tengelsen missing from a mall in Macon, GA. All these have similarities but I don't think Carlene and Mary/Diane are connected. There is a UI from McDonough found in '73, skull only. I'll figure out how to attach my info properly and post it soon. The McDonough is Namus 2189 and Doe 231UFGA for the time being if interested. Carlene is Namus 10554.

No, if you reread the Topix discussion, no one claims Nancy's killer was found/convicted. Another cold case was touched upon, and that killer is who they were discussing.

Her niece chimed in on the conversation, and clearly states no one has ever come forward with information about Nancy.

I still think the similarities to the Mary Little case are astounding.

Here's a picture of Nancy (it's the only I can find, but I'm still looking).

picture.php

I think there are strong similarities between Mary, Nancy, and Carlene. It takes a certain kind of predator to pull off these kind of disappearances.

Right! I always thought Carlene's abductor had some experience at this. I doubt it was a one-time thing, unless he just got lucky and never got caught. I think it was a grown man, predator/serial killer type who preyed on women, looking for an opportunity. These all happened fairly close in time together, at Georgia malls. Very likely they could be connected.

Someone familiar with Carlene's case shared some info with me a while back that he was in possession of a newspaper clipping which he believed came from the Macon paper and this was the headline, “3 Macon Women Missing”. It says a Mrs. Peggy Chapman, 22, and her daughter Ruby, 4, were last seen on Saturday at 2:30pm at Westgate. Then it mentions Carlene. Then it mentions Mrs. Maggie Shaw, 35, of Warner Robins who disappeared from Westgate on June 2nd. Her car was found in the South Plaza shopping Center on Pio Nono.” There was no date on the clipping and he wasn’t able to find it in Macon Telegraph archives. Although it isn't dated these incidents must have all happened within a close timeframe of each other since it mentions all 3 women. I wonder if these women and the little girl were ever found and I wonder if anyone in the area remembers this. I never saw the actual clipping myself and can't verify that it exists but maybe if any websleuthers live in the area they could recheck. If none of these women were ever found then I think we definitely are looking at a serial abductor/killer in the area back at the time. And apparently he lurked around Westgate Mall. I have tried googling various combinations of these women's names but can't find any news articles at all.

Someone familiar with Carlene's case shared some info with me a while back that he was in possession of a newspaper clipping which he believed came from the Macon paper and this was the headline, “3 Macon Women Missing”. It says a Mrs. Peggy Chapman, 22, and her daughter Ruby, 4, were last seen on Saturday at 2:30pm at Westgate. Then it mentions Carlene. Then it mentions Mrs. Maggie Shaw, 35, of Warner Robins who disappeared from Westgate on June 2nd. Her car was found in the South Plaza shopping Center on Pio Nono.” There was no date on the clipping and he wasn’t able to find it in Macon Telegraph archives. Although it isn't dated these incidents must have all happened within a close timeframe of each other since it mentions all 3 women. I wonder if these women and the little girl were ever found and I wonder if anyone in the area remembers this. I never saw the actual clipping myself and can't verify that it exists but maybe if any websleuthers live in the area they could recheck. If none of these women were ever found then I think we definitely are looking at a serial abductor/killer in the area back at the time. And apparently he lurked around Westgate Mall. I have tried googling various combinations of these women's names but can't find any news articles at all.

Was the disappearance of Peggy and Ruby Chapman also in 1972? Any more information about their appearance? I wonder if there is any possibility that Ruby Chapman could be Sharon Marshall?

The article about Peggy & Ruby Chapman was just an undated clipping, but I assume all these disappearances were close together, since it was headlined "3 Macon Women Missing." I can't find any info on these other missing.

I cant find any info whatsoever on Peggy or Ruby but that certianly fits Sharon marshall timeline

ETA: I just emailed the Macon PD for any info.

I submitted Nancy to the Doe Network. It just made me so sad when I stumbled upon her story a few years ago writing a paper about Mary Little, and I realized there was NOTHING about her on the internet other than an ancient news report.

And she's now listed on the Doe Network. I've also found an article from the time she was missing that suggests law enforcement thought there might be a link with the Mary Little case, but I don't have access to the database to pull the whole article. I'm reaching out to some fellow genealogy friends to see if any might subscribe to that archive.

There is another thread on Websleuths regarding another female who also disappeared under similar
circumstances that Nancy Wilke disappeared.

The other missing female is Shaylene Marie Farrell, 18, who disappeared on August 8, 1994 in Piqua, Ohio.

Shaylene Farrell left her home at approximately 10:00 a.m. on August 8, 1994 in her mother's car to buy a bottle of iced tea at the Pick-N-Save grocery store in Piqua where she was a part time employee.

Shaylene was scheduled to work her 7:00 p.m. shift at the grocery store on that same day.

Shaylene did not show up for her 7:00 p.m. shift at the grocery store and was reported missing the next day.

Shaylene Farrell never returned home and was never seen or heard from again.

After Shaylene was reported missing, her mother's car was found in the grocery store parking lot.

Shaylene's iced tea bottle, purse, and keys were found inside her mother's car.

Shaylene did not take any money, clothing, or identification with her when she disappeared.

Among the similarities I noticed between the disappearances of Nancy Wilke and Shaylene Farrell are:
  • They both worked at grocery stores with similar names.
  • Their purses, purchased items, and vehicles were found parked in the grocery store parking lot.
  • Both had dark brown shoulder length hair.
  • Both disappeared at the same time 27 years apart.
Nancy Wilke disappeared on Saturday August 12, 1967.

Shaylene Farrell disappeared on Monday August 8, 1994.

I suspect that both disappearances probably aren't related, but it just seems odd to me that two different women disappear from grocery stores with similar names at the same time 27 years apart from each other in different areas.

Shaylene Farrell

OH - OH - Shaylene Farrell, 18, Piqua, 8 Aug 1994

Shaylene Marie Farrell

Https://charleyproject.org./case/shaylene-marie-farrell

Shaylene Marie Farrell - 1064DFOH

The Doe Network: Case File 1064DFOH

I would like to know if someone worked at all of those malls, I mean, if there's a common employee. A shop assistant, for instance, is not an authority figure (like a policeman), but you trust them anyway. I think whoever approached these women was someone they trusted, not necessarily an acquaintance, but the type of person no one perceives as a threat.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back