The "Official List": How was it Compiled, and What does it mean?

WhyaDuck?

Inactive
Reaction score
There are currently 18 "Official" Highway of Tears victims, though observers insist the actual numbers are anywhere from more than 30 to hundreds.

This thread explores how the "Official" E-Pana list has been compiled, and what "Official" status means.

Here are the 18 women included (2007):

1. Gloria Moody. Murdered. Williams Lake. 1969
2. Micheline Pare: Murdered. Hudson Hope. 1970
3. Gale Weys. Murdered. Clearwater. 1973
4. Pamela Darlington. Murdered. Kamloops. 1973
5. Monica Ignas. Murdered. Terrace. 1974
6. Colleen MacMillen. Homicide. 100 Mile House. 1974
7. Monica Jack. Murdered. Merritt. 1978
8. Maureen Mosie. Murdered. Kamloops. 1981
9. Shelly-Ann Bascu. Missing. Hinton, Alta. 1983
10. Alberta Williams. Murdered. Prince Rupert. 1989
11. Delphine Nikal. Missing. Smithers. 1990
12. Ramona Wilson. Murdered. Smithers. 1994
13. Roxanne Thiara. Murdered. Burns Lake. 1994
14. Alishia Germaine. Murdered. Prince George. 1994
15. Lana Derrick. Missing. Terrace. 1995
16. Nicole Hoar. Missing. Prince George. 2002
17. Tamara Chipman. Missing. Prince Rupert. 2005
18. Aielah Saric Auger. Murdered. Prince George. February 2006

“If I could give them a grade now, I would give them a big failing grade. We haven’t even talked to someone from the RCMP on this for probably over a year,” Braem said. “It started out really, really good. Of course they are going to tell you they’ve got the best people, but apparently they are all so good they’ve gone on to bigger and better things. They have all left the area. The last one left without us even knowing until well after the fact. We’ve probably had 15 people on it here locally, not counting all the others from all over the RCMP. We were told at one point it was the largest investigation going on in Canada. Now, I have no idea who is even on the case, I really don’t.” Braem’s daughter, like Burk, is not considered one of the Highway of Tears cases and therefore he doesn’t have the social action levers available to those between Prince George and Prince Rupert.

http://firstnationsdrum.com/2007/01/highway-of-tears-chapter-one/

He said the investigation was expanded after investigators initially identified nine cases with similarities along Highway 16. The Violent Crime Linkage Analysis System (ViCLAS), which investigates serial crime, then identified more than 200 similar cases. Eventually nine other cases were identified as having "commonalties," said Lemaitre.

He said he couldn't reveal what those similarities were, but added they are "things that would only be known to the person involved in the incident."

He said some of the women on the list were hitchhiking, while the last murder victim was riding her bike. The common thread in each case was "they were obviously people who were victimized by people who thought they could get away with it," Lemaitre said.

http://www.missingpeople.net/rcmp_step_up_investigation.htm

Starting criteria:

We identified three key points to include files: that the victim was involved in a high-risk activity that would expose them to danger, being hitchhiking or [involved in] street trade [prostitution]; our first search was along Highway 16 and we had to decide how far we would go off Highway 16, and we decided a mile; and, of course, that they were female.

At the time, all were girls from the 17 to 20 range.

The one-mile limit was for both last seen or a body found.

... extending it down to Highway 97 to Highway 5 ?- from Prince George down to Kamloops and the Merritt area.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/va...details+Pana+investigation/2331959/story.html

There are other investigations out there that when you look at them would cause you to be concerned whether there are connections between them, but as I said before, we are constrained by resources. But also I think it's important that when we are assigning investigators to a project, there is not necessarily a goal but an end in sight. If we bring in 100 files, it will never end. So when you give a job to a person and it's almost impossible to achieve, you start losing people pretty fast....It's not an overwhelming list.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/va...details+Pana+investigation/2331959/story.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kac1991
Back