DSS summary of services for Zahra

NancyA

Reaction score
Social services speak out (at last)...snipped intro from article.

On Monday, the Caldwell County and Catawba County Dept. of Social Services released a "summary of services" for Zahra. They also released a brief statement (which is at the very end of this list).

Continued at link:

http://www.wbtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=14070673

Glad to see movement finally in this case.

Wow...just wow. DSS has four reports of abuse/mistreatment in six months, and they write them all off? Someone help me make sense of this!

ETA: Yes, I know they visited the home each time, and didn't just write if off blindly. I'm just amazed that the number of calls in less than half a year didn't raise red flags that something more was going on than was being presented to them on the home visits. I guess this just leads me to believe that EB really is *that* good a liar.

ETA2: Doesn't this refute what BB and her mom said to the media? Didn't they say they had the cell-phone picture of the black-eye, dated sometime in August, and they had reported it to DSS?? I'll see if I can find it.

I guess we should be 'grateful' they even responded to the reports, not a lot of info there though, was Zahra physically examined by a Doctor I wonder. Also wondering who the other family members were who corroborated/confirmed the Baker family statements to DSS.

wondering who the neighborhood friend of the family was who was interviewed on February 4.

Well now we know DSS was in the home on 21st as late as August 5th. A mere month and a half approx before alleged TOD.

I am so sorry little girl. This is awful.

WOW. According to this AB had to have known plenty about the abuse for a VERY long time...

hmmmm

:waiting:

I guess we should be 'grateful' they even responded to the reports, not a lot of info there though, was Zahra physically examined by a Doctor I wonder. Also wondering who the other family members were who corroborated/confirmed the Baker family statements to DSS.

yuh huh, I wonder who that was myself.

We certainly know now that AB was well aware of repeated allegations and calls to DSS about EB's treatement of Zahra. Repeated. It is right there in black and white.

Uggh. I am heartsick.

Okay, I'm back...much quicker than I thought I would be! I was wrong. BB & Mom said that EB's daughter (did not specify which one) had reported the black-eye.

But it's interesting to note that BB and mom were certain EB was behind this as early as Oct. 12th.

wondering who the neighborhood friend of the family was who was interviewed on February 4.

I would think that it was probably 'He Who Shall Not Be Named'...since he has reported that they broke contact in February.

interesting that that was the title afforded him if that is the case. Wonder how that worked during introductions as he supposedly wore an entirely different title IYKWIM

It says in the Autopsy report that she had a chest x-ray in 2009 but noting else.

"A chest radiograph obtained in October of 2009 showed no
evidence of neoplastic disease."

http://www.wbtv.com/global/story.asp?s=14070870

Oh mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn i am simply sick

http://www.wbtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=14070673

~Snipped~

The family assessment for both the January 29 and February 4 report were completed and the case was closed on February 23, 2010 with no evidence of maltreatment or child safety issues.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On May 28, 2010, Caldwell County Social Services received a report regarding Zahra Baker. The report included allegations of improper discipline and improper care. The report was initially assessed at the family residence on May 28, 2010 and included joint interviews with the stepmother and child as well as separate interviews. The father was interviewed on June 21, 2010. The department obtained statements from a family member and two additional individuals were interviewed during the course of the assessment. The family assessment was completed and the case was closed on June 23, 2010 with no evidence of maltreatment or child safety issues.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thereafter, CCSS visited the home on July 22, 2010 and August 5, 2010. CCSS also obtained statements from all persons named at the time of the report who may have had knowledge of the situation.

Pursuant to NCGS 7B, the family assessment was completed. There was no evidence of maltreatment or child safety issues found during the assessment. Therefore, the case was closed on August 6, 2010. No other reports were received until after the disappearance of Zahra.

I am appalled !!!

Think if we forward them the autopsy report they might see some evidence of maltreatment or child safety issues now?

Sorry, I know that is petty and flipant but I am so pizzed about this right now.

I think there is a law that you can't sue a state agency, CPS, nor the worker but I think Zahra's bio Mom should hit the media, hire a super high profile US attorney and try. The law about that needs to change and maybe all of it would change - the heavy case loads, state funding etc
I am so PO

IMO, it appears as though DCF followed through on each and every complaint interviewing Elisa, Zahra and Adam. What more can DCF do if after interviewing everyone and it appears as though there is no abuse.

It's not DCF's fault that Zahra died, the blame is within the household of the adults caring for Zahra.

What people need to start doing is call the police FIRST when they see a child is being abused rather then DCF. Let the police come down and interview the family and then let the police get DCF involved.

If people can call the police when a spouse is being abused, or an animal, then they need to start calling the police when they feel a child is being abused.

They don't always do their jobs. They don't always follow up. They don't always take the time.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/special_packages/inquirer/child_welfare/Girl_wasted_away_under_DHS_care.html
Child Welfare in Philadelphia
Girl wasted away under DHS care
City review of teen's neglect was key to ouster of leadership.
by John Sullivan, Ken Dilanian, Craig R. McCoy and Nancy Phillips

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/editorial/6894036.html
Houston's Child Protective Services too often fails to protect victims
Copyright 2010 Houston Chronicle
March 2, 2010, 8:03PM

Just a few cases but there are many more where CPS did not do their job. And yes I agree that people should report suspected child abuse and people did call about Zahra. In the first link above CPS was supposed to visit twice a week and when the 14 year child died she weighed 46 pounds.
IMO CPS did not killl Zahra but they failed to protect her from being killed. Don't these agencies cross reference? How many past reports on EB? So when CPS showed up at the house and there was a bruise on Zahra, what are the chances that she got it by falling in the bathroom?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bosie
Back