Largest earthquake in 35 years hits Arkansas

Dark Knight

Reaction score
GREENBRIER, Ark. – The central Arkansas town of Greenbrier has been plagued for months by hundreds of small earthquakes, and after being woken up by the largest quake to hit the state in 35 years, residents said Monday they're unsettled by the increasing severity and lack of warning.

The U.S. Geological Survey recorded the quake at 11 p.m. Sunday, centered just northeast of Greenbrier, about 40 miles north of Little Rock. It was the largest of more than 800 quakes to strike the area since September in what is now being called the Guy-Greenbrier earthquake swarm.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110301/ap_on_re_us/us_arkansas_earthquakes

Interesting... When we were looking for places to move last year, It came down to Little rock, or Colorado springs..... Glad we picked colorado!

Wow! This is scary. Arkansas is my neighbor to the North.
I've never heard of earthquakes in Arkansas before.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/06/fracking-arkansas-earthquakes_n_831633.html

'Fracking' Disposal Sites Suspended, Likely Linked To Arkansas Earthquakes
By SARAH EDDINGTON
03/ 4/11 01:07 PM

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. -- Two natural gas companies have agreed to temporarily suspend use of injection wells in central Arkansas where earthquakes keep occurring.

Oklahoma City-based Chesapeake Energy and Clarita Operating of Little Rock told the Arkansas Oil and Gas Commission on Friday that they've stopped operation of the wells near Greenbrier and Guy pending the panel's next regular meeting on March 29.

Wow! This is scary. Arkansas is my neighbor to the North.
I've never heard of earthquakes in Arkansas before.

New Madrid Seismic Zone: Earthquakes that occur in the New Madrid Seismic Zone potentially threaten parts of seven American states: Illinois, Indiana, Missouri, Arkansas, Kentucky, Tennessee and Mississippi.

Nothing new to us . . . little quakes all the time, yet getting stronger & stronger. I don't for one minute believe it is due to fracking

New Madrid Seismic Zone: Earthquakes that occur in the New Madrid Seismic Zone potentially threaten parts of seven American states: Illinois, Indiana, Missouri, Arkansas, Kentucky, Tennessee and Mississippi.

Nothing new to us . . . little quakes all the time, yet getting stronger & stronger. I don't for one minute believe it is due to fracking

krimekat - They proved in Dallas in early 2000's that the deep disposal wells located near fault lines were causing earthquakes in north central Texas where they did not have earthquakes before. They suspended injecting the disposal water and the earthquakes stopped. Given that they are injecting soooooo near a major fault.....

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/03/100310134158.htm
Texas Earthquakes: Operation of Saltwater Injection Disposal Well in Area Was a 'Plausible Cause'
ScienceDaily (Mar. 10, 2010)

A state tectonic map prepared by the Texas Bureau of Economic Geology shows a northeast-trending fault intersects the Dallas-Tarrant County line approximately at the location where the DFW quakes occurred. The study concludes, "It is plausible that the fluid injection in the southwest saltwater disposal well could have affected the in-situ tectonic stress regime on the fault, reactivating it and generating the DFW earthquakes."

This post in another thread discusses this further:
More Than 1,000 Dead Birds Fall From Arkansas Sky - Page 15 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Not to say we might not be getting lied to, but this seems plausible to me.

I didn't realize that fracking was a real word! I thought it was just another word for an expletive for t.v. purposes. Thanks to Battlestar Gallactica!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taketherisk
Back