Texas Man's Controversial Obit

Snick1946

Reaction score
This Obit appeared in the Houston Chronicle today:

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/ho...spx?n=james-harrison&pid=149015606&fhid=10998

Nothing unusual until you get to the end. In lieu of flowers he asks for donations to the Cancer Society and 'anyone running against Barack Hussein Obama'.

I do not want this to get political- but I find it very sad that someone uses something that should be a legacy for their loved ones in this manner. If he really felt that strongly I guess it's ok, but it still just seems tacky- especially when some of the memorial book signers seconded it.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/ho...spx?n=james-harrison&pid=149015606&fhid=10998

Nothing unusual until you get to the end. In lieu of flowers he asks for donations to the Cancer Society and 'anyone running against Barack Hussein Obama'.

I do not want this to get political- but I find it very sad that someone uses something that should be a legacy for their loved ones in this manner. If he really felt that strongly I guess it's ok, but it still just seems tacky- especially when some of the memorial book signers seconded it.

Is it possible that he wrote his own obit before he died or told his family members what he wanted it to say? I agree that it would be sad if one of his family members with a strong dislike for President Obama used the obit to express their own political views or to even exaggerate Mr. Harrison's.

Why is that so tacky or sad? IMHO, no more or less offensive than someone asking for donations to Planned Parenthood or a pro life organization, the NRA or an anti-gun group, etc. I'm assuming this man felt very strongly about the president and hoped that he will only serve one term. I don't get why it's a big deal.

Why is that so tacky or sad? IMHO, no more or less offensive than someone asking for donations to Planned Parenthood or a pro life organization, the NRA or an anti-gun group, etc. I'm assuming this man felt very strongly about the president and hoped that he will only serve one term. I don't get why it's a big deal.

Well bless his heart...after all we are talking about him and he isn't forgotten. I have no problem with it. He probably was very vocal about his feelings and could have wrote his own obit, ..I like the fact that it caught peoples attention.. Rest In peace Buddy ..

I don't find it upsetting or in poor taste. But that's just me. It said it was a request made by the deceased man so I bet he was vocal about it like Getsmart said above.

Wonder if he asked his family to put anything on his headstone about it?

Just curious.

Had a famous obit in the Indianapolis Star years ago of a 90-something year old lady. After a long list of her accomplishments in life, the final line was "She was an ardent fan of Indiana University basketball - She was not, however, a fan of Bob Knight."
Best. Obituary. Ever.

I agree - no big deal (and I too am assuming that this man wanted his obit to include this - that the idea of stopping Obama's presidency at one term was important to him).

Had a famous obit in the Indianapolis Star years ago of a 90-something year old lady. After a long list of her accomplishments in life, the final line was "She was an ardent fan of Indiana University basketball - She was not, however, a fan of Bob Knight."
Best. Obituary. Ever.

Hailing from Louisville KY myself I know exactly what she meant Mary LOL.

Bless her heart.

That actually had me laughing out loud and hard! :)

Yes! Yes! Yes! A thousand times, yes!
(I agree with you!)

I suppose a dying man ought to have the right to request which ever donations he feels right about but the phrasing "ANYONE running" is a bit risky because "anyone" could end up being someone Mr. Harrison would have liked even less than Barack Obama.

I suppose a dying man ought to have the right to request which ever donations he feels right about but the phrasing "ANYONE running" is a bit risky because "anyone" could end up being someone Mr. Harrison would have liked even less than Barack Obama.

I doubt it. :smile:
If he felt this strongly about Obama, I'd say he would think anybody that ran against him would be an improvement.

JMO - not trying to talk for a deceased person.

Best. Obituary. Ever.
I cut it out and saved it for the longest time!!

Best. Obituary. Ever.

That is hysterical!!!!

As for the original post, I don't find it upsetting. I do, however, find it tacky.

"In lieu of flowers, at Jim's request, please make a donation to ANYONE running against Barack Hussein Obama..."

It was at the request of the deceased. I don't see anything wrong with it. He probably stated his wishes many times. Good for his family for fulfilling them.

I chuckled at the Obama part... does that make me bad? LoL

I don't think it is controversial... at least he had the cujones to be honest.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woohoo3
Back