Criticism of Law Enforcement unjustified say sources

grandmaj

Former Member
Reaction score
http://www.ktxs.com/news/27050551/detail.html

snip

COLORADO CITY, Texas -- Sources close to the case say the Colorado City Police Department responded promptly after being notified that 13-year-old Hailey Dunn was missing on Dec. 28.

Details of how law enforcement officials responded on Dec. 28 and 29 were learned as KTXS News prepared stories as Hailey’s disappearance reached the two-month mark.

more at article

snip from OP link:

The main problem, he said, was that the public wasn’t being told about all the steps being taken – which led to inaccurate speculation and unfounded criticism.

bingo!

I think this is the first time it has been verified that all of the lockers in the school were searched isn't it?

Still missing something here. Calling the school and searching lockers all points to looking at her like a runaway. What was done outside of that scope?

The public should read the affadavits which clearly state that after interviewing BD and SA more extensively on Dec 29th, they were already interviewing his mother on the afternoon of the 29th and making arrangements to get her computer.

The runaway and older boyfriend stories weren't coming from LE, they were coming from friends of BD who had gone over Hailey's social networking sites and of course the siting by the video rental lady. BD herself continues to insinuate that MB was less than helpful even though she admits she didn't speak to the girl or her mother when she first discovered HD was missing.

By Dec 30th, LE already had the "*advertiser censored* computer" in their possession and were looking at "other possibilities". Although they were still following the possibility that HD could have left home of her own accord based on the stories they were getting. They were running dual investigations, one of which had to be "kept close to the vest" because it was/is a criminal investigation.

It's funny that no one told them to check out the mother's creepy boyfriend.

Hailey was a student of martial arts. Her father claims she can give someone a good go and has a belt level (can't remember what it is). To think that she could have been abducted by a stranger and forced into their vehicle in broad daylight in a residential neighbourhood without any sign of a struggle, a dropped flip flop, torn piece of clothing, earring etc, or anyone hearing any screams or noise at all is preposterous IMO.

LE handled this well right from the beginning IMO. They got that computer before SA had a chance to get back to his mother's place and get rid of that hard drive.

MOO

Hmmm, how did I have it in my head they took the computer on Jan. 7th? Back to my notes. Ack.

Just a side note on the martial arts thing. As someone who is very close to that world and knows several 1st and 2nd degree black belt teens I can honestly say that having that belt does not mean they couldn't be overpowered easily. The training and belt doesn't necessarily give them the sense to use it when faced with a real situation at that age, we've had it happen and were stunned.

Just a side note on the martial arts thing. As someone who is very close to that world and knows several 1st and 2nd degree black belt teens I can honestly say that having that belt does not mean they couldn't be overpowered easily. The training and belt doesn't necessarily give them the sense to use it when faced with a real situation at that age, we've had it happen and were stunned.

True, and being knocked out or hit in the head hard enough from behind leaves any training useless in the abduction.

Thanks for the article, Grandmaj.

I think alot of the criticism of LE comes from people wanting the inside scoop and feeling left out when the police clam up. And I do think in early days there were lots of rumors spreading around that were red herrings but people ran with them (and some of those keep coming back up but still leading nowhere).

I really think they clued in on the boyfriend when they realized the sleepover story came from him, because the bottom line is - there was no sleepover, whether BD spoke to the other girl's mother or not. While it's possible that Hailey might have lied about a sleepover to go elsewhere, it's just as possible that SA is lying in the first place. To me, there's more reason for SA to lie than Hailey, since BD by her own admission on Nancy Grace was easygoing about the girl going wherever she wished as long as she left a note on the table (although she said last week she told her to stay home).

I don't know SARX. I remember being 13 and scrolling down little things here and there. Maybe they were looking to see is she left any notes or names on her book covers or in notebooks. Maybe pictures of someone or some indicaton that she was talking with someone via the internet.

Friends could tell LE if she had a boyfriend, what she told them about her home life or problems. Teachers, counselors and administration were probably questioned. I'm sure the school was quesitoned about field trips or sports trips so they might follow down leads there. Did she meet anyone on one of these trips perhaps. They probably also put LE in touch with other parents who might have had contact with Hailey. Bus drivers and coaches.

But Kamille is correct, LE had the computer of SA's mom on the 30th. Something had to have lead them to that computer. Whether it was Shawn saying he used it to look for unemployment or something else. You know they say people always return to the scene of the crime. By mentioning this computer did Shawn lead LE to a part of the crime?

I have a feeling that something happened in those early hours of reporting this incident that raised the suspicion of Law Enforcement. I have never heard of a suspect being named so early in an investigation. It might have happened but early on I think LE knew they had to pursue two avenues here, ruling out runaway, and a criminal investigation.

Maybe they took him at his word when he stated they should look at him and BD?

Can someone link me to the computer being taken on the 30th, I keep coming up with January. TIA.

I think we crossed paths there, cuz it seems like we are saying the same thing. Looking at lockers and stuff all points to her leaving on her own, for a boyfriend, someone she met on the internet, etc. Are we saying the same thing? lol

I don't know SARX. I remember being 13 and scrolling down little things here and there. Maybe they were looking to see is she left any notes or names on her book covers or in notebooks. Maybe pictures of someone or some indicaton that she was talking with someone via the internet.

Friends could tell LE if she had a boyfriend, what she told them about her home life or problems. Teachers, counselors and administration were probably questioned. I'm sure the school was quesitoned about field trips or sports trips so they might follow down leads there. Did she meet anyone on one of these trips perhaps. They probably also put LE in touch with other parents who might have had contact with Hailey. Bus drivers and coaches.

Those are good ideas, and also I was thinking phone numbers of friends, concert schedules (a common reason for kids skipping town to go see a show in another town), and even a menu or receipt from a restaurant where kids might hang out in another town.

Grandmaj said:
I have a feeling that something happened in those early hours of reporting this incident that raised the suspicion of Law Enforcement. I have never heard of a suspect being named so early in an investigation. It might have happened but early on I think LE knew they had to pursue two avenues here, ruling out runaway, and a criminal investigation.
I think one big red flag was the way SA treated his cell phone calls while dealing with the police.

PDF Affidavit Here

In the affidavit it states (I've edited this slightly for repetitions).

"...Adkins allowed Investigator Sides to view his phone. Investigator Sides looked at three phone calls that were placed from Adkins' cell phone to the name Billie. As the interview progressed, Adkins provided information ...that possibly could contradict some of the information just viewed on Adkins' cellular phone. When asked if Investigator Sides could look at the phone again to verify what he had seen earlier ...or confirm that Adkins was correct, Investigator Sides witnessed Adkins delete information from his cell phone and then hand the phone to Investigator Sides . . . (who) was unable to view the call log information that had been viewed earlier. Investigator Sides then asked Adkins "What happened to the phone call list," and Adkins was unable to answer."

Also those weird statements he made about Hailey being "promiscuous." No one else said anything like that.

LE only has what they were told by the family to go on at this point and if that information isn't accurate or truthful, then just exactly how are they supposed to conduct an investigation? Again, Billie Dunn started with her lies from the get go and they are continuing to this date, more than 2 months later.

~jmo~

Can someone link me to the computer being taken on the 30th, I keep coming up with January. TIA.

I think we crossed paths there, cuz it seems like we are saying the same thing. Looking at lockers and stuff all points to her leaving on her own, for a boyfriend, someone she met on the internet, etc. Are we saying the same thing? lol

Talking to the students and teachers is also a way of finding out about her home life. We have heard from a few friends that she was afraid of and hated Shawn. So they may have gotten some of their suspicions about Shawn from their middle school visits.

Kamille mentioned it coming from the affadavits...here's link:

ETA: It's on Page 6 of the affadavit...starting at the bottom of page.

http://bigcountryhomepage.com/image...edia/dox/pdf/2011_01/HaileyDunnAffidavits.PDF

Weren't they supposed to talk to the High school kids too and then didn't do it???

I still wonder why.....

According to Big Country Homepage, the computer was in evidence on December 30th. SA's mother told someone she intended to come to the police station to get it back and they placed it in evidence, and I presume, out of reach.

http://bigcountryhomepage.com/fulltext/?nxd_id=331216

Another search warrant seized a computer and hard drive from the home of Adkins' mother, Christina Walker, in Big Spring. The attached affidavit states Shawn Adkins had spent time on the computer. Walker agreed to let investigators search the computer on Dec. 30, two days after Hailey was reported missing. Police downloaded thee contents of the computer, and when Walker told Ofc. Alexander that she was coming to pick it up on Jan. 5, the computer was placed into evidence, the affidavit said.

ETA: See posts below about the Mom's computer listed on Pages 5-6 - I was too nearsighted to see it and I'm not sure the link I had was the complete affidavit:
Correct Affidavit Link

sarx said:
I can't speak for others but that's not what I meant. I don't believe she was a runaway at all, and I'm not sure if LE ever believed that, only that they had to follow procedure of searching the school lockers first due to Haiely's age.

I was just speculating about what LE was searching for, things that might be found if Hailey was a runaway, but I don't think they found any of the typical things or they would still be treating this as a runaway case. To me, they aren't doing that.

The December 30 date is at the bottom of page 6 I believe. :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back