SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
ETA by Mod:

NamUs UP 9622 https://identifyus.org/en/cases/9622

Human bones turn up at Point Defiance Park

Police believe a pair of bones that turned up at a beach at Point Defiance Park last month are human.

[snip]

After waiting out high tide, detectives were finally able thoroughly examine the beach today, but they only found a hooded sweatshirt that may or may not be related the bones.

More: http://tacoma.komonews.com/news/911/human-bones-turn-point-defiance-park/626538

tacoma_bones_2.jpg

The bones were found tangled in this shredded sleeping bag.

Tacoma police search park beach for more human bones

A Tacoma fisherman led Tacoma police detectives and forensic experts Monday afternoon to the spot on a remote beach at Point Defiance Park where he found two human bones last month.

A low tide enabled Roger Garrett III, 28, and police to get to the site, about a half hour walk west from Owen Beach.
Garrett said he found the two large bones Feb. 20 while he was fishing there.

They were tangled in a shredded sleeping bag that was still there today, he said in a telephone interview from the beach.

The Pierce County Medical Examiner determined Feb. 23 that they were human.

Actually it doesn't look far at all from where her son Azriel washed up on shore. And she was wearing a hoodie I believe. Possibility.

Is this far from Shantina Smiley?

Azriel's body was found on Fox Island, 12 miles from where the van was found. These remains I believe would have been 3-6 miles from Fox Island. Because of tides I believe the bones could easy be from Shantina.

I thought of Shantina too. And I think it's a very likely location for her body. But why would her remains be in a sleeping bag? Was there a sleeping bag missing from the van?

I was thinking the same as everyone else here. Can't remember about a sleeping bag though - will have to review her threads.

Praying for answers for Shantina's family.

I was thinking the same as everyone else here. Can't remember about a sleeping bag though - will have to review her threads.

Praying for answers for Shantina's family.

If I remember correctly, don't they believe that she went to a house, near the van, and tried to get some help?

Speculation: Is it possible that after she was not able to find anyone that could help her she went back down to the beach. If she was not able to help her son, she could have decided to stay down by the van. If she was cold, she may have gotten into a sleeping bag and fell asleep? Just a thought....

Does anyone know if she had camping equipment with her?

James

I was actually thinking that maybe she was lost and intoxicated and decided to take a nap not realizing that the tides would come in that high. They said that Azriel's death was an accidental drowning. Any way that he could have been the one trying to get help for his mom (if she was indeed intoxicated and maybe passed out in the van) by knocking on doors and then went back in to try to save her?

The Medical Examiner’s Office said the bones held no “forensic significance” and had been sent to the state archeology center.

Read more: http://www.thenewstribune.com/2011/...earch-beach-for-more-bones.html#ixzz1GdI8jFNE

Sounds like they don't think they belong to any missing person?

Sounds more to me like they were unable to get DNA out of them, and therefore, they would be of virtually no use for identification, or determination of a cause of death.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Circumstances of Recovery
Unknown circumstances of death. Unidentified bones were found on 02/20/11 by a fisherman on Owens Beach. The bones were found with a fragment of a sleeping bag. The bones appear to have been previously submerged in the Puget Sound and then washed up on the beach.
Added: This right humerus bone was found in the waters of Owens Beach by Tacoma Police Dive Team when conducting further investigation about the remains found on related case listed here. The two cases were combined on 02/09/17 after DNA confirmation of match.

BBM
It seems that they were able to extract DNA from these remains after all. No other useful information listed.

Azriel's body was found on Fox Island, 12 miles from where the van was found. These remains I believe would have been 3-6 miles from Fox Island. Because of tides I believe the bones could easy be from Shantina.

Namus now says these bones are Male, so this may explain why they don't appear as a ruleout in Shantina's case.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back