Voodoo Dolls Found in Historic New York Mansion

I would love to know the back story on this one. Somehow I don't think anyone would willingly take credit for owning these horrible masks (especially the doll) and after all these years, unless diaries or journals are also found, we will probably never know.

Creepy!! Bet that one shop would by them, they Love creepy stuff, Oddities?? Thats the name of the show, I forget the name of the shop

I don't find those masks particularly creepy or grisly. Vodou loa (spirits) have different characteristics and are performed or taken on during rituals, and some of them are fierce archetypes (Petro), so I guess the angry looking ones are those.

Likely someone who traveled in the area of Haiti or Louisiana and bought them as souvenirs.

Or possibly a worker from the south brought the box with them way back when?

I think they're pretty neat... but I stroll around cemeteries and check out haunted places for fun... So I think this sort of stuff is interesting.

Being from Louisiana, Voodoo dolls do not scare me. They are common in NOLA.
We even have a BBQ place here in my hometown called Voodoo BBQ.
It's just part of the culture.

ETA: Here is a link to New Orleans's Voodoo museam. It has a great deal of info on it.
http://www.voodoomuseum.com/

ETA: Here is a link to New Orleans's Voodoo museam. It has a great deal of info on it.
Mmm...love VooDoo BBQ. :)

I agree with everything you said, Kimberly. Living my entire life in New Orleans, I find nothing particularly nefarious about "voodoo". I have friends from Haiti or of Haitian descent who maintain some of the customs and beliefs even though they are Christians, but the emphasis is always on the "good". One is a priestess, a beautiful human being with a pure heart and spirit. Like I've posted here before, voodoo gets a bad rap.

As for the dolls found at the Steinway Mansion, I agree with Whyaduck. They're probably souvenirs from someone's travels. The auction house is feeding the hype to drive up the value, IMO.

I don't find those masks particularly creepy or grisly. Vodou loa (spirits) have different characteristics and are performed or taken on during rituals, and some of them are fierce archetypes (Petro), so I guess the angry looking ones are those.

Likely someone who traveled in the area of Haiti or Louisiana and bought them as souvenirs.
And in the realm of archetypes, if there is good, then there must also be evil.

I'm not from Louisianna and I've never been there, but they don't scare me either. I found them to be really interesting to look at. I's love to own them and put them out for Halloween:) Maybe I'd even leave a few out year round,. I love interesting pieces.

Auctioneers clearing out the historic Steinway Mansion have made a grisly discovery -- a voodoo doll and voodoo masks hidden in the fabled Astoria landmark.

So, um, what's the problem? :floorlaugh:

What I mean is, in my neck of the woods, it would be no big deal.

Yes, Voodoo BBQ is also in my neighborhood. :floorlaugh: Not to mention Voodoo beer (Blackened Voodoo Lager).

I guess maybe we should let people from other parts of the country respond to this, because, for us, voodoo dolls in a house is so "old news". :seeya:

http://www.obscuraantiques.com/

Love, love them. But then I take pics of old cemeteries for fun...

I'm a cemetery buff, too, because I'm a genealogist, historian, and photographer. :blush:

It's a bit baffling to me that some people just automatically consider any and all Vodou items "creepy" or "grizzly." No more so than someone finding a painting of a crucified man if they had no knowledge of Christianity and the meaning, IMO. All religions have weird and/or mysterious elements if you aren't familiar with them, I guess.

Don't know how it slipped my mind, but we have a football team (AFL) named Voodoo. They are playing the Orlando Predators tonight.

:wink:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back