Match! OH - Cleveland, WhtMale 1116UMOH, in river, Feb'89 - Larry Phillips

chaddylex

Verified local - Rebecca Stahl case
Reaction score
[https://identifyus.org/cases/1873

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1116umoh.html

•The victim was discovered on February 1, 1989 in Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, Ohio
•Estimated Date of Death: 2 weeks prior

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vital Statistics

•Estimated age: 35-40 years old
•Approximate Height and Weight: 70"; 180 lbs.
•Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown hair of moderate length, straight and normal in distribution. Brown mustache.
•Tattoos: On left upper shoulder, a figure of cross with a circle superimposed on the longer limb of the cross, and an unidentifiable symbol on the proximal lateral forearm, consisting of a vertically oriented line, a small horizontal oriented L accompanied by a circle.
•Dentals: Available
•Clothing: Black and white striped shirt, long sleeve, blue work pants, blue undershorts, brown boots, red socks high top, multicolored suspenders, one blue rag found in right rear pocket. Brown boots.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Case History
The victim was located in the Cuyahoga River, under the Center Street Bridge.

I sent in Larry Phillips who is missing from Cleveland Ohio. He was just entered into Namus last week

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/9647/0/
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1906dmoh.html

His height is about 2 inches off, but his tattoos are close, missing from the same city, age, weight, are close and that Larry and the UID both had a moustache and brown hair...

I sent the Namus Case Mgr for Larry and The Namus Case Mgr for the UID each an email...

What do you all think?

You would think they would have checked somebody from right in the same area, but stranger things has happened. He sure looks like a match.

I just received an email back:
Here it is:

This is one of 993 possible matches flagged by the system for review.

I do not yet have the dental records to begin the comparison.

But I had not yet seen the tattoo information you pointed out. So - I will certainly move him to the top of the list for comparison.

I'll also check with the state to see if it had been compared pre-NamUs.

Thanks for your help!

It's like get a move on it!!!!

You got very good chance match between Case File 1906DMOH of Larry F Phillips & UID Case File 1116UMOH. The descriptions & images are there. I could tell what letters are stand for from his left forearm: LP. That's his initial name. Hope this will be closure for his family.

I'm thinking this may be stronger than it first appears.

Larry was last seen on Thanksgiving in either 1987 or 1988. I think this can be taken as meaning that he hadn't been reported missing when the UID was found - you could remember if you'd last seen your family member two months ago, or a year and two months ago. So that explains why Larry wasn't suggested as a match at the time.

This means that even taking the report at face value, there is a two-month (in Cleveland, in winter) difference between contact and recovery - but also calls its reliability into question; or of course Larry may not have been in close contact with whoever eventually reported him missing.

The UID has an L tattoo on his body - for Larry?

Larry also has possible additional tattoos but these may have faded due to decomposition or just not be listed in the UID. Additionally only two tattoos are described in the UID but three are shown in the pictures.

Finally, Larry wasn't 38 in 1987/8 as shown unless the DoB is wong; he would have been 32 when the body was recovered, assuming the DoB is correct. It's still close enough to make it worth investigating.

Wow, this one for sure is a match!
From the Missing Persons System for Larry Phillips:
Tattoos: Initials "L.P." on left arm. A cross on left hand between thumb and index finger. Tattoo on left shoulder and right forearm.

The tattoos sound like a sure thing to me.

The NamUs guy emailed me again and is putting a rush on the dentals for both the UID and Larry... If this isn't a match, I would be surprised...

I am still waiting on seeing if I have a match for the Cynthia Day case that I submitted last January... I haven't heard from the family in about a month but they were having problems extracting enough DNA for the UID. Cynthia's daughter also emailed me and asked me if I knew of a way for her to submit her mom's case to Nancy Grace's Fifty Missing People Show. She did email me back and said she submitted it, but that was the last I have heard anything...

I think you've got a great chance for a match Chaddy!

It's a Match!!! I received a call today from the Cuyahoga County Corners office. They matched by dentals!! Whew Hew!! :woohoo:

I can't believe they called me!

Prayers to Larry's family... May Larry rest in peace.

:congrats: Congratulations, Chaddylex!!! Great Job!!!
:fireworks: :fireworks: :fireworks: :fireworks: :fireworks: :fireworks:

Chaddylax-I am so proud to post along side of you and all of the others devoted to the cause of UID's. Congratulations!!!!

Here are the Charley Project and DoeNetwork casefiles, preserved here so that they can still be seen after Charley and DoeNet remove them from the sites.

Larry F. Phillips

2414663510045078242S600x600Q851.jpg

Above: Phillips, circa 1987

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance

Missing Since: November 1987 or November 1988 from Parma, Ohio
Classification: Missing
Date of Birth: January 12, 1956
Height and Weight: 5'8, 170 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian male. Brown hair, hazel eyes. Phillips has a scar on his forehead and a scar on his right finger. He has the following tattoos: the initials "L.P." on his left arm, a cross between his left thumb and index finger, and tattoos on his right forearm and left hsoulder. He had a mustache at the time of his disappearance, and his hair was cut short.

Details of Disappearance

Phillips's family last saw him in Parma, Ohio on Thanksgiving Day in either 1987 or 1988. He told his sister he was going to "lay low for awhile." He has never been heard from again. Few details are available in his case.

The Doe Network:
Case File 1116UMOH

2944276710045078242S600x600Q851.jpg
2187540460045078242S425x425Q851.jpg
2089187540045078242S425x425Q851.jpg

Victim's Tattoos

Unidentified White Male

* The victim was discovered on February 1, 1989 in Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, Ohio
* Estimated Date of Death: 2 weeks prior

Vital Statistics

* Estimated age: 35-40 years old
* Approximate Height and Weight: 70"; 180 lbs.
* Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown hair of moderate length, straight and normal in distribution. Brown mustache.
* Tattoos: On left upper shoulder, a figure of cross with a circle superimposed on the longer limb of the cross, and an unidentifiable symbol on the proximal lateral forearm, consisting of a vertically oriented line, a small horizontal oriented L accompanied by a circle.
* Dentals: Available
* Clothing: Black and white striped shirt, long sleeve, blue work pants, blue undershorts, brown boots, red socks high top, multicolored suspenders, one blue rag found in right rear pocket. Brown boots.

Case History
The victim was located in the Cuyahoga River, under the Center Street Bridge.

Thanks everyone!!! I guess I just sped up the process... he was flagged in Namus as being a match, (one of 993) but since I sent the descriptors of the tattoos and a few others and they put a rush on the dentals! (since they didn't have DNA)

A perfect of example on how you can't rely on height... Their was a 2 inch difference listed between Larry and the UID...!!!

The man I spoke with was very nice. Here I am at work jumping up and down because I made a match... and yes my boss and co workers know about this hobby. They think I am strange!

Chaddy-Hope they'll tell the family of Larry Phillips that you found the match & getting closure for his family that wondering a lot about his whereabouts. That's longest 23 years of wait for them.

You did a great job! I think the imagines for tattoos from NamUS helped a lot in comparing with the descriptions from the UID.

Thanks everyone!!! I guess I just sped up the process... he was flagged in Namus as being a match, (one of 993) but since I sent the descriptors of the tattoos and a few others and they put a rush on the dentals! (since they didn't have DNA)

A perfect of example on how you can't rely on height... Their was a 2 inch difference listed between Larry and the UID...!!!

The man I spoke with was very nice. Here I am at work jumping up and down because I made a match... and yes my boss and co workers know about this hobby. They think I am strange!

If they had 993 possibles, chances are that they probably wouldn't have looked at any of them.

It seems to me that the NamUs auto-match feature needs some work to eliminate some of the rediculous possibles that they come up with. If they can't come up with a more manageable list size, then the case managers are discouraged from even working them.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back