Federal investigation claims abuses among New Orleans police.

Steely Dan

Former Member
Reaction score
http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/03/17/louisiana.new.orleans.police/index.html?hpt=Sbin

Federal investigation claims abuses among New Orleans police
By the CNN Wire Staff
March 17, 2011 4:33 p.m. EDT

(CNN) -- A federal investigation found that the New Orleans Police Department has engaged in patterns of misconduct in violation of the Constitution and federal law, the Justice Department announced Thursday.

Among the findings are that the police department has used excessive force, made unconstitutional stops and searches, and illegally profiled people based on race, ethnicity and sexual orientation. The investigation also found a number of practices that contributed to the illegal conduct, including failed systems for recruiting and promoting officers, poor training and lack of supervision, among others....

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/03/17/louisiana.new.orleans.police/index.html?hpt=Sbin

Federal investigation claims abuses among New Orleans police
By the CNN Wire Staff
March 17, 2011 4:33 p.m. EDT

(CNN) -- A federal investigation found that the New Orleans Police Department has engaged in patterns of misconduct in violation of the Constitution and federal law, the Justice Department announced Thursday.

Among the findings are that the police department has used excessive force, made unconstitutional stops and searches, and illegally profiled people based on race, ethnicity and sexual orientation. The investigation also found a number of practices that contributed to the illegal conduct, including failed systems for recruiting and promoting officers, poor training and lack of supervision, among others....
Oh he!!, Steely, I could've told you that. :)

It's really not a laughing matter. In fact, it's downright shameful. And it gets worse.

Sex crimes unit of NOPD deemed deeply flawed by Justice Department

New Orleans police officers seldom sought to interrogate rape suspects, while they sometimes peppered victims with biased questions suggesting they were to blame for their attacks, according to a review of sexual-assault complaints by the U.S. Department of Justice.
The good news is that the new superintendent, Ronal Serpas, has taken the bull by the horns, auditing complaints and implementing policy changes. He also named a new leader to the sex crimes unit.

Still, the Justice Department review suggests the unit's deficiencies are deep. In many cases, detectives conducted victim interviews with the seeming aim of categorizing the allegations as false, according to the review. The report suggests many more complaints might need to be reinvestigated.
http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2011/03/sex_crime_unit_of_new_orleans.html

Some of the findings are listed in the article, and they are egregious, especially as pertains to victims of sexual assault.

Its about time this has been discovered. I've heard things over many years about NOPD.

Might not be totally on topic, but I saw police, in uniform, "shopping/filling carts" in a closed Wal Mart.

I am sure there are bad apples in the NOPD.

I would like to say, for those good ones, God Bless You! You've got your hands full. LOL

NOLA is not an easy city to patrol IMO.

katrina was a horrible horrible tragedy in which not only the police abused people, normal people who otherwise wouldn't have; left elderly and sick people to die.

the dam should have been fixed a long time ago.
so many horrific depressing things happened during katrina.

i really hope that they can find as many people responsible for abuses as possible and prosecute them to the fullest.

I am sure there are bad apples in the NOPD.

I would like to say, for those good ones, God Bless You! You've got your hands full. LOL

NOLA is not an easy city to patrol IMO.

Yep, there may be some bad cops there, but IMO, in order to have that level of corruption you need to look at the top.

New Orleans is such a pretty city, with a rich history, I would love to see a revitalization there. Again, I think the changes need to come from the top.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back