TX TX - Fort Worth, WhtMale 25-40, 1154UMTX, winged #1 ring, laundry mark-"L.P. Brennan 50118", Oct'87

CarlK90245

UID Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Doe Network:
Case File 1154UMTX
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1154umtx.html

1154UMTX.jpg
1154UMTX1.jpg
1154UMTX2.jpg

Reconstruction of Victim, Watch & Ring

Unidentified White Male

* The victim was discovered on October 10, 1987 in Tarrant County, Texas
* Estimated Date of Death: October 5, 1987
* Cause of Death: Homicide

Vital Statistics

* Estimated age: 25-40 years old
* Approximate Height and Weight: 6'0-6'2"; 140-150 lbs.
* Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown hair.
* Clothing: A "Land's End" brand, blue, short-sleeve, pull-over, knit shirt with a white stripe (size medium). A "Brigade" brand, plaid, flannel, long-sleeve shirt (size medium). Blue, bikini briefs (women's size small); "Lee" brand, blue jeans (size 32x34), with a laundry mark in the pants, that reads "L.P. Brennan 50118," and dark socks. "Etonic" brand, athletic shoes were found near the body.
* Jewelry: The victim had a worn silver metal ring, with flat, blue and red stones, forming a numeral 1 with applied wings. He had a "Kronotron" brand, gold metal, analog watch in his pocket, that did not have a crystal or band. He also carried an unfired .32 caliber cartridge in his pants pocket.

Case History
The victim was located in a field behind 22 Assisi Court, in unincorporated Tarrant County, very near Benbrook Lake.

He may have been from Massachusetts, Indiana, Tennessee, or Mississippi, and may have served in the Air Force.

The victim may have gone by the names Thomas Jeffrey, Jeffrey Taylor, or Joseph Taylor.

Does anyone suppose this guy could be Michael Jefferson Adams?
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/a/adams_michael.html

1154UMTX.jpg
adams_michael5.jpg

He is quite young compared to the estimate. However:

* His height is right.
* His weight is right.
* There's a 4-month lag between the DLC and date of discovery.
* His middle name is "Jefferson", somewhat corresponding to the possible alias "Thomas Jeffrey".
* He looks quite similar to the drawing, and although his hair is blonde, not brown, it is styled very similarly to the drawing.
* Abilene, TX is about 145 miles from Benbrook Lake in Tarrant County TX.
* Both he and the UID appear to be well-dressed (including dark socks).

If they overestimated the UID's age, he might have been missed in their screens.

The stats look great. Is it likely that they would have overestimated his age? At age 18, Michael Adams probably would still have been growing. My possibly too generous assumption is that John Doe's examiner would have chosen an age of 25-40 based on growth plate fusion in the bones, something like that.

But, goodness knows that whoever made the estimate may not have had anything close to a degree in medicine or forensic pathology.

there is a Namus profile for this UID but it is useless. you would never know that Doe Network and Namus were describing the same person except for the mention of th Kronotron watch.

Namus is silent about height, weight, hair color, clothing, possible military service and aliases.

not surprising there are no rule outs:

https://identifyus.org/cases/4087

well someone put the vital stats in the UID's profile and there are 8 official rule-outs, all Texans, but Adams is not one of them:

John Bankston 1970 Texas
Robert Casto 1962 Texas
Calvin Deets 1953 Texas
Russell Gray 1954 Texas
Mark Merritt 1961 Texas
Richard Powell 1966 Texas
Thomas Pulaski 1967 Texas
Thomas Scott 1956 Texas

Hmm, we have carswell naval air base 10 to 15 mins from benbrook lake, also lockheed martin formerly general dianamics where a lot of airmen work after serving. I'm a youngin, wasn't born til 90 haha so idk what went on in the area back then.. I do think the gentleman in the photo strongly resembles the drawing. An 18 year old can easily look much older. Does anyone think the ring could have anything to do with airforce hence the wings, and the red and blue?

Hmm, we have carswell naval air base 10 to 15 mins from benbrook lake, also lockheed martin formerly general dianamics where a lot of airmen work after serving. I'm a youngin, wasn't born til 90 haha so idk what went on in the area back then.. I do think the gentleman in the photo strongly resembles the drawing. An 18 year old can easily look much older. Does anyone think the ring could have anything to do with airforce hence the wings, and the red and blue?

@ anbeaudre,
I believe the ring is a vintage Harley Davidson motorcycle logo. There were many and several different logos in a particular year. However, in the 80's owners and riders of Harley's identified themselves as the "1%" group; either as in the best in bikes or toughest of bikers. During that time, coral and turquois were popular inlays for the Harley logos.

You might start with research into vintage Harley logo rings for the time period prior to the finding of this UID. E Bay would be a good starting place and you could then send this ring photo to the seller if you find similar logos. Hope this helps..

I looked and looked and couldn't find this ring online. I looked at both harley rings and af rings from the 80s and had no luck finding one similar. What leads us to believe the victim was in the military?

I looked and looked and couldn't find this ring online. I looked at both harley rings and af rings from the 80s and had no luck finding one similar. What leads us to believe the victim was in the military?

Very good question anbeaudre. More often than not, the person making the initiial recovery report or the volunteer entering the data into Doe will make an erroneous assumption regarding lifestyle or background of the deceased based solely on manner of dress or items found at the scene which may not even belong to the person. Perhaps they interpreted the "winged" ring as an association with flying or with the airforce. I can't figure out why such a statement was made. If that were true it seems someone dropped the ball in research becaus that would narrow the field of possibilities How do they suspect he was from a certain state (mentioned in report)?

The ring may be of no relevance. I will try to find more for you later today. So what you have here are is the pair of ladies underwear, the shoes, the watch, the unused .32 cal cartridge and overall manner of dress that could be useful. Where is the gun? Did the deceased carry one or is this piece of information not relevant? As for the shoes, I have a call in to the company who manufactures this brand. The company name officially changed to "Etonic" in 1980 and primarily produced golfing shoes. I will let you know when I get a call back. Posibly tomorrow. Good luck!

they probably made the air force reference and mentioned the other states based on things they found at the scene or from statements from people in the area. however, as we've seen on many a thread, where the manner of death is listed as a homicide, LE is often very tight lipped as to not compromise the investigation.

This Doe really gives a mixed signal as to their background.
The style of dress and brand of clothes/shoes vs. the bad watch with no crystal.

I am guessing the jeans are used because they must not be his. It sounds like the laundry mark has a name and some sort of ID number. Any military people want to speak up here and tell me how laundry works? I figure that has been investigated by LE and he is not that person and that person also has no knowledge of this fellow.

I also doubt that he was currently military because he hair seems a little long and I would think he would have been reported missing by his superior officer.

Did all of his clothes fit well? I wonder if this was a "hook up" gone wrong?

This Doe really gives a mixed signal as to their background.
The style of dress and brand of clothes/shoes vs. the bad watch with no crystal.

I am guessing the jeans are used because they must not be his. It sounds like the laundry mark has a name and some sort of ID number. Any military people want to speak up here and tell me how laundry works? I figure that has been investigated by LE and he is not that person and that person also has no knowledge of this fellow.

I also doubt that he was currently military because he hair seems a little long and I would think he would have been reported missing by his superior officer.

Did all of his clothes fit well? I wonder if this was a "hook up" gone wrong?

There is definately (opinion)something to the underwear. The watch crystal could have been broken in a physical altercation. The ID number is also a zipcode in Iowa .A virtual "web" of info so connecting the dots will be a bit of a challenge.

I wondered if he was too decomposed for tattoos to have been visible, because I found a few possible matches, but they both have tattoos. Did the witnesses that he got food/medicine from say anything about tattoos or lack there of?
Decedent was living in a night shelter and used a fake name to obtain medical treatment and food
NamUs estimates he was dead for 5 days.

hard to say Ambercat. if they are estimating that he was dead for like 5 days then I would assume tattoos would be there. on the other hand they either could not get fingerprints or they were lost over the years.

TBlake.jpg
1154UMTX.jpg

Thomas Stephen Blake http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/643dmtx.html
Missing since August 1, 1987 from Big Spring, Howard County, Texas.
Classification: Endangered Missing
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 6'3 (189 cm); 165 lbs. (75 kg.)
Distinguishing Characteristics: Hair listed as blonde but looks brown in the picture; His nickname is "Tom".
miscellaneous: usually wore a gold metal watch with a rectangular face and black band.

unidentified male:
•The victim was discovered on October 10, 1987 in Tarrant County, Texas
•Estimated age: 25-40 years old
•Approximate Height and Weight: 6'0-6'2"; 140-150 lbs.
•Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown hair; The victim may have gone by the names Thomas Jeffrey, Jeffrey Taylor, or Joseph Taylor.
miscellaneous: had a "Kronotron" brand, gold metal, analog watch in his pocket, that did not have a crystal or band.

Howard County is 260 miles away from Tarrant County.

http://goo.gl/maps/VFCe

Thomas Stephen Blake is not on the ruled out list:
https://identifyus.org/cases/4087

Thoughts?

Everything lines up except the watch. But there was plenty of time to replace a wristwatch if he's keen about keeping time. I'd alert the case worker.

Patrick Taylor seems like he might also be a possibility, except the range for height on NamUs is huge.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/5357/5
The circumstances of his disappearance on NamUs is what really got my attention --
Was last seen in Memphis,TN / West Memphis, AR area. May have used VA Hospitals in TN, AR, and MO. He expressed an interest in traveling to Kansas and Texas to look for work at about the time of his disappearance.

I don't think the victim much favors tom. I wonder if the man in the second photo cut his hair and shaved his facial hair to look for work? Strange about the watch though.. the guy in the second picture really doesn't look like he would wear womens panties though, too manly. Tom blake though does look a little.. off? Different.. hmm.. could either be tracked to having been in texas?

I am Tom Blake's sister. This find could well be him. I don't know about the panties - he never came out as a cross dresser, but I have an open mind about that. He did not have a watch like that the last time I saw him in August a few days before he vanished. If anyone really wants a twisted mystery to sink their teeth into, I will share the details. Odd and interesting story.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle
Back