GUILTY NC - Jacob Minton for attempted murder of 2yo, Winston-Salem, 2011

Police say man tried to kill child
4d90c72c4219e.preview-300.jpg

Clayton said the victim was at Brenner’s for treatment of injuries she received at home when hospital employees observed Minton assaulting the child while she was in a hospital bed and called police.

“Hospital personnel intervened and that saved her life,” he said. Clayton explained that they intervened by maintaining a physical presence with the child in the hospital room until police arrived and that Minton didn’t fully realize what was going on as police took him from the hospital.

Clayton said his information was that the 2-year-old’s mother was in the child’s room, but was asleep.

The child was admitted to Wilkes Regional Medical Center Saturday afternoon because she was having seizures, said Shew. It was determined that she had a head injury and she was transported to Brenner’s by Baptist Hospital AirCare later Saturday, Shew said. No additional details have been released on this injury.

Minton was placed in the Forsyth County Law Enforcement Detention Center in Winston-Salem under a $400,000 bond.

http://www.journalpatriot.com/news/article_9d292f72-5961-11e0-98a8-00127992bc8b.html

How is it that the mom was sleeping in the same room while this attack was going on? Thank god for the nurses!!

This is really horrifying, on so many levels. I can grasp a man in a rage shaking a child (not condone it....grasp it) but to follow her to hospital and to assault her again? I have to wonder if he isn't intellectually or developmentally disabled as surely he'd know that a child having seizures, who is barely able to speak, would not be able to give much of a statement. Possibly he was worried, though, that she'd be able to point the finger at him concerning sexual abuse.

The only thing I can think of, concerning the mother, is that the man quietly entered the room and attempted to asphyxiate the child. There were no weapons recovered. This could have happened while a very tired and traumatized mother was napping as the child was. Obviously, either the room had surveillance or a nurse followed the man and observed. The nurses are the real heros here, IMO.

My prayers are with that little one.

I thought I had read another article that said the man was visiting the child with the mother's permission. That plus the fact that she was sleeping in the room at the time led me to believe that probably arrived with the mother. I guess he could have arrived later, after the mother was alseep. Either way, you would think that given the doctors feel her seizuers may have been caused by a head injury that the authorities would be keeping an eye on those who were with the child when the possible head injury may have ocurred (usually a parent or bf/gf).

ETA link and snippet http://www.wxii12.com/news/27337900/detail.html

The mother of a 2-year-old girl who was attacked at Brenner Children's Hospital over the weekend invited the suspect in the attack into her daughter's room

and

Clayton said the girl was being treated for injuries she had suffered at her home in Wilkes County the night before. She was airlifted at about midnight Saturday.

This sounds to me like mom is clueless, doesn't care or is in total denial, or perhaps complicit.

Poor baby, not enough to be abused but to have your abuser then come into your very hospital room in and attack you??

was trying to do the kid in so she couldn't talk is what it sounds like to me.

http://www.wxii12.com/news/27360279/detail.html

I believe I heard today the little girl has a fractured skull. This is insane. The mother has been interviewed by police. I hope and pray she isn't complicit in this and allowed the doofus into the room and "pretended" to be asleep while he stopped the little girl from talking about what happened at home.

The police department’s criminal investigations division was contacted and assumed the investigation after the initial response of other Winston-Salem officers in reference to child abuse reported at 7:34 a.m. Sunday.

http://www.journalpatriot.com/news/article_9d292f72-5961-11e0-98a8-00127992bc8b.html

Officials at Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center said that since Minton had been invited into the room by the girl's mother, there was nothing the hospital could have done to prevent the attack.

Still, the hospital said it is reviewing its procedures.

http://www.wxii12.com/news/27337900/detail.html?QS=2

A child abuse investigation was underway at 7:45 a.m. Sunday. Minton was arrested later that day at 1:00 p.m. Readingn between the lines, I think the allegation that the mother "invited" Minton into the room has been overstated in a CYA kind of way on the part of the hospital adminstration because child abuse was already suspected, and they want to avoid liability later on for allowing Minton access to the child.

Please don't get me wrong. I'm not blaming the hospital staff for the incident. On the contrary, I wholeheartedly praise their vigilance. I'm assuming the nurses could not bar visitors without a directive from a hospital administrator or LE. But in the meantime, it seems they were keeping a close eye on that room. Hurray for them!

I'm praying for this little one. One article said her condition was stable on Sunday. The latest article says her condition was critical as of 6 p.m. Tuesday. :(
http://www.wxii12.com/news/27360279/detail.html

Prayers for healing for this poor little girl. :(

http://www.wxii12.com/news/27388081/detail.html

Jacob Andrew Minton, 26, of Wilkes County, is now facing 10 counts of attempted first-degree murder and five counts of aggravated assault on a handicapped person.

According to a warrant, Minton pinched the girl's nose and covered her mouth to prevent her from breathing, thumped her head, slapped her head and jabbed his finger into her stomach. Capt. David Clayton said the attacks were spaced out over a four-hour span of time from 1:30 to 5:30 a.m.

So he did those things while she was in the hospital over the course of a approx. four hours? I am wondering why it took that long for LE to be called/become involved at the hospital? I understand that hospital personnel kept a close eye on her and they are the reason the child is still alive most likely but how do they know this is what he did? Were they watching? And if so, why let it go on and escalate over four hours before having him removed/arrested?

This is all very confusing.

What a horribly sad case. I hope someone can start protecting that poor little girl who has endured so much already. I also hope she will survive and make a full recovery and be put in a home where she will be safe and loved. I hope they will put her attacker in jail and throw away the key. He should never be a free man again.

So he did those things while she was in the hospital over the course of a approx. four hours? I am wondering why it took that long for LE to be called/become involved at the hospital? I understand that hospital personnel kept a close eye on her and they are the reason the child is still alive most likely but how do they know this is what he did? Were they watching? And if so, why let it go on and escalate over four hours before having him removed/arrested?

This is all very confusing.

Could they have had a camera in the room?

I think they had cameras, I've hard of them doing it with mauchausen by proxy parents...

http://www.digtriad.com/news/articl...o-Places-Suspect-Near-Child-At-Time-Of-Attack

The sheriff said the child experienced seizures Saturday at her home before she went to the hospital. Doctors discovered the skull fracture and airlifted the girl to Brenner Children's Hospital in Winston-Salem.

So this guy went out of his way to go to the hospital she was air-lifted to.
Psycho for sure. Am guessing drugs may be involved in this character's world.

He was caught on video 'near' the victim.

Winston-Salem Police Captain David Clayton said her skull injuries weren't originally being investigated as child abuse.
WHATTtttttttt!!!!
And NOW they are looking at the original fractured skull as abuse?

And somehow the mother slept through 4 hr torture session. How is that?
She invited him to the hospital so you have to believe they're looking into her as well.

(we've come across these kind of crimes enough to know where it's heading)

POOR poor baby. And she's handicapped? Oh dear Lord.
Look at the combined charges from the Forsyth County jail records.....handicapped.

At least we know he isn't going anywhere. $2,000,000. bond total

Attachments

• JacobMinton Forsyth County jail inmatesearch.jpg
    JacobMinton Forsyth County jail inmatesearch.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 18
Warrants were issued charging Jacob Minton with 10 counts of Attempted First Degree murder and 5 counts of Aggravated Assault on a Handicapped Person.

http://www.digtriad.com/news/local/article/169116/57/Report-Hospital-Attacks-Happened-Over-6-Hours

I don't think she was necessarily disabled in anyway BEFORE the skull fracture.

I think they added on the "handicapped" charge because she was defenseless with seizures and a skull fracture when he attacked her again.

Seizures could technically make her "handicapped" especially with the skull fracture and if there is any brain damage. (I guess she could have had seizures before the injury, they could be referring to that as well.)

A "vulnerable" person might have been another way to word it. But it all depends on the particular states laws and the situation.

I could be wrong of course... but I think that is what they meant by that. I think someone would have said something if the child had special needs BEFORE she was injured initially.

November 2012:

Jacob Minton pleaded guilty Wednesday to 11 counts of attempted first degree murder and four counts of assault on a handicapped person.
A Wilkes County man was so impaired by drugs, and so traumatized by his own sexual abuse as a child, that he doesn’t remember attempting to kill his girlfriend’s 2-year-old daughter at Brenner Children’s Hospital, even though the abuse of the girl was caught on video, his attorney said Wednesday...

The girl... was considered handicapped because she was unconscious at the time...

Holland was in the room when Minton was assaulting Maddison but did not intervene, Martin said. Holland, who was pregnant with Minton’s child at the time, told authorities that she was asleep. Martin said Holland had taken Xanax, an anti-anxiety medication.

Holland was not charged in the case because no evidence came to light that she had harmed the child. She has since lost custody of [the girl] and [the girl's] older sister, who is about 6. Martin said in court that workers from the Wilkes County Department of Social Services were in the process of terminating the biological father’s custody of [the girl]. [The girl] and her sister are now in a foster home, and [the girl], who had to relearn how to walk and talk after her injuries, is doing well, Martin said.

http://m.journalnow.com/news/local/...220-23ab-11e2-bdde-001a4bcf6878.html?mode=jqm

Authorities never found out the cause of the girl's original head injury.

509200126da1c.preview-300.jpg

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amberraff
Back