PA - Mother Angered After Child Wanders Home From Preschool

MorenoI

Reaction score
http://www.wpxi.com/news/27378746/detail.html

A local mother is angry after her 5-year-old daughter walked out of her pre-school and all the way home on Wednesday.

Can you imagine the shock of this family when they open the door and their child is there alone? Thank god nothing horrible happened to her on her way home.

I'd be livid! yesterday my 5 yr old special needs preschool dropped him off at the wrong place he was supposed to be dropped off at home and instead was dropped off at another preschool he was missing from 2:50 till 4 pm!!!!

I'd be livid! yesterday my 5 yr old special needs preschool dropped him off at the wrong place he was supposed to be dropped off at home and instead was dropped off at another preschool he was missing from 2:50 till 4 pm!!!!

Wow, I'm sorry this happened! I can't even imagine how you must have felt.

me too! I was just happy to see him!!!!

The scariest part was being unable to get a hold of anyone at the Spec. needs preschool.. once school lets out at 2:30 they all go home.. i even drove over there and there was no one!!
UGHH alls well that ends well but i'm transporting from now on!!

it's scary but I don't think pulling the kid from school is the right answer

humans are not perfect and mistakes are going to happen and we can safeguard till the cows come home and mistakes are still going to happen and accidents will occur and predators will still find a way to get at kids

the school is installing an alarm and probably reviewing safety measures with all staff and unless they have a history of incidents, I don't know what more we can expect

I did the same thing when I was a child ... although that was different times ...

I'd have a total meltdown :| if a kid can get out and wander all the way home, what ELSE is going on or can go on that staff is clearly missing?

I believe mistakes happen, and the child getting out and wandering isn't the biggest problem. The school really didn't believe that they had lost a kid. AND that is the problem. And in the article, the statements conflict when it comes to the school. Its seems they didn't even realize she was gone.:twocents:

Per the original article:

Her dad took her back to school, and her mother called to see why they weren’t notified. They were told the school did not have their phone number.

Seems to be a couple of problems with this school...

They weren't notified because there was no # for the parents, or they didn't know exactly who was missing....

Very scary....
:nerves::nerves::nerves:

A spokesperson for the school district says Ayanna's teacher thought a child may have been missing, so the staff checked every classroom, and thought all of the children were accounted for.

“The girl had been in the gymnasium playing with other students when the teacher observed a door closing. The teacher immediately ran outside to look around, but saw no one. The teacher then checked the restrooms and a custodial closet near the gym, but found no one. At that point, all classrooms were checked by staff.

http://www.wpxi.com/news/27378746/detail.html

Pittsburgh Public Schools said in a statement that teachers checked every room in the building and did not think the girl had left.

http://www.wtae.com/r/27390041/detail.html

What if that door closing had been an abductor grabbing this little girl?

How do you "think" you have all the kids? Is there so many kids you can't keep track? Do you not go down a list and say "Anna, Bobby, Cathy, David, Ethan, George....?"

If you checked all classrooms and bathrooms and everything... did you take the time to simply check the individual children? You didn't know WHICH child was missing, or you would have realized there WAS a child missing.

LadyL - I trust you won't take offense to my using your post... since you put it so well. :)

I agree with your post completely.

Which is precisely why my children are home schooled. :innocent:

Well, part of the reason.

It was partly the academics... I have an 7 year old who is dyslexic... and reading independently (the Boxcar Children series for example) at the moment.

It was partly the expectations... I have an 8 year old who has Down syndrome. She reads, she writes, she does math, she knows about the Presidents, the solar system... This child can manipulate anyone and teachers simply can't believe she is that smart.

My 7 year old with dyslexia also has other issues and literally, cannot be left unsupervised. Period. I cannot shower unless there is someone here. If she were in school, she would have to be watched closer. What happened in this case would be completely unacceptable. I cannot expect anyone to do that, which is why she is home schooled.

It really came down to the attitude.

People are going to make mistakes.

I do understand and accept that.

Problem is... this is my children's life and future here. My child doesn't have self preservation. She doesn't have that part of her brain working right. Just like an 18 month old child will walk out into traffic, so will my 7 year old.

I will make EVERY effort to ensure that doesn't happen. A teacher is never going to care as much as a parent. In this case, the teacher didn't even know the kids well enough to realize that specific student was missing. That is just sad to me.

That was the deciding factor for me. If I could find a teacher who CARED about my kids enough to KNOW them... who would watch my 7 year old and believe in my 8 year old... I'd put my kids in school in a heartbeat. :twocents:

it's scary but I don't think pulling the kid from school is the right answer

humans are not perfect and mistakes are going to happen and we can safeguard till the cows come home and mistakes are still going to happen and accidents will occur and predators will still find a way to get at kids

the school is installing an alarm and probably reviewing safety measures with all staff and unless they have a history of incidents, I don't know what more we can expect

I did the same thing when I was a child ... although that was different times ...

I can tell you if that happened with my preschooler, I would IMMEDIATELY remove my child from school, pending charges of negligence or flat out neglect. Period.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RayaCo
Back