OK-Woman fights to keep paralyzed kangaroo

http://www.examiner.com/pet-rescue-...man-fights-to-keep-her-paralyzed-pet-kangaroo

More on Irwin, the rescue kangaroo paralyzed in a horrible accident, and the woman fighting to keep him. Irwin is unable to walk on his own, and Christie Carr, who has been caring for him as a pet, changes his diapers and keeps him dressed in clothing to protect him from infection and he travels in a car seat in her car. She rescued him when volunteering at an animal shelter, when her therapist suggested he might help with her depression.

City officials fear he could become a danger to the community if he achieves his full size, although he is unlikely to do so, due to his injuries.

Personally, I think it's selfish & cruel. He should have been humanely put down.

If this lady wants to care for a baby, there are plenty that would need her.

Hmmmm . . . well, I agree with laws that restrict keeping wild animals in a populated area -- who wants their next door neighbor keeping a "pet" lion in a backyard enclosure or a elephant down wind or a chimp who might rip off someone's face? (Not to mention that I think that it's usually cruel to the animal involved. IMO all the wild animal species who take to domestication have already been domesticated.) And I've read that Ms. Carr rents, so she could solve this by making arrangements to move a little further out into the country.

On the other hand, I don't see any reason that the Broken Arrow city council can't just make a temporary exception, considering the animal's disability and its therapy role, and wait to see if he does begin to grow large or become aggressive. He seems to be bonded to Ms. Carr and she's rehabilitating him. (Wish she'd quit dressing him in children's clothes, though.)

The clothes are supposed to protect him from infection...

I think they should allow her to keep him as long as he remains small...clearly she is not letting him out of her sight, or outdoors and he can barely move. But if they are not harming anyone else and give one another comfort, I don't have a problem with it. I believe she came in contact with the animal at a rescue facility so they must not have have believed he needed to be destroyed.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back