9/11 remains to be placed below ground in museum, families upset

peeples

Reaction score
http://www.kwwl.com/Global/story.asp?S=14374081

"The families here today say no," said the families' attorney, Norman Siegel. "They believe that the remains should be placed in a respectful and accessible location, such as something akin to the Tomb of the Unknowns above ground and separate from the museum."

I'm sorry, but this has gotten ridiculous. It's been almost 10 years and there's no reason why the WTC site isn't rebuilt by now.

Nobody is proposing that human remains be tossed onto a trash barge and dumped in New Jersey.

And no solution will ever please the thousands of surviving relatives of 3,000 victims.

How is it disrespectful to bury unidentified remains beneath a museum dedicated to the tragedy?

Because the families should have a say in what happens to their loved ones' remains.

That have that right.

ETA: Maybe they want something above ground so that they have a place to visit. Visiting a museam and knowing your family member is 7 stories under it is much different than visiting a "tomb" or "vault" above ground.

JMO

I would think that a respectful tomb could be placed somewhere in the museum is not only respectful but it is a part of history. I do not like the idea that the remains be placed under the museum, it feels like folks would be walking on graves and that is not respectful. I don't know why this is so difficult.

I agree truth. That was my first thought. Everyone who visits the museum would be walking over the bodies of the victims. I find that very disrespectful.

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/uni...911-remains-in-below-ground-museum-54084.html

Families Oppose Placing 9/11 Remains in Below-Ground Museum

NEW YORK—About 50 family members of firefighters and other victims of the 9/11 terrorist attacks gathered outside the World Trade Center on Sunday to protest placing the remains of their loved ones 70 feet below ground, in the basement of the National September 11 Memorial & Museum.

“Families here today say, ‘No.’ They believe that the remains should be placed in a respectful, accessible location above ground and separate from the museum,” said Norman Siegel, attorney representing the families.

According to Siegel, 41 percent of the victims’ families have not received any of their loved ones’ remains to date. Hence, “wherever the city places these remains will be the only place family members can pay their respects,” he said.

***much more at link***

I'm sorry, but this has gotten ridiculous. It's been almost 10 years and there's no reason why the WTC site isn't rebuilt by now.

Nobody is proposing that human remains be tossed onto a trash barge and dumped in New Jersey.

And no solution will ever please the thousands of surviving relatives of 3,000 victims.

How is it disrespectful to bury unidentified remains beneath a museum dedicated to the tragedy?

I agree that it is ridiculous that there is nothing built yet. Me, personally,I don't visit the graves of my loved ones.I find no comfort and feel they are in my heart,not at the gravesite. That being said,if it gives someone else comfort,they have every right to have a say in where the remains are put.I remember visiting Ground Zero a couple years after the attack. It happened to be Fathers Day. I think it was one of the saddest thing I ever witnessed. There were people there who just wanted to mourn their fathers and could only stand around an ugly fence. I think it would be wrong for them to have to go into a museum for times like that,and something like the tomb of the unknown soldier would be more appropriate.

I agree that it is ridiculous that there is nothing built yet. Me, personally,I don't visit the graves of my loved ones.I find no comfort and feel they are in my heart,not at the gravesite. That being said,if it gives someone else comfort,they have every right to have a say in where the remains are put.I remember visiting Ground Zero a couple years after the attack. It happened to be Fathers Day. I think it was one of the saddest thing I ever witnessed. There were people there who just wanted to mourn their fathers and could only stand around an ugly fence. I think it would be wrong for them to have to go into a museum for times like that,and something like the tomb of the unknown soldier would be more appropriate.

I agree. A tomb would be much more appropriate than a basement 70 feet under the ground. I can not imagine my family member being there.
It's bad enough they were never able to get a body back. At least they can have a place to mourn.

I do visit my lost loved ones' resting places. I know they are not there. But it's a respect/remembrance thing to me. I know it is a personal thing. But these family members should at least have a choice.

I hadn't thought about needing some privacy for mourning and contemplation but you are correct, something secluded but accessible for families and people that wish to pay their respect.
Just not the basement, that absolutely screams disrespect and somehow tarnishes the view, that we as Americans value human life.

From the original link:

"They wanted them placed as close to bedrock as possible," Ferer said in a telephone interview. She said there were numerous meetings over the years about the museum and memorial. The remains will be placed in the memorial section of the facility, and relatives of those who died will have private access, she said.

So I guess there are just a few who have an issue with it being "underground"? I'm sorry, but in the ground is in the ground. We bury people in the ground all the time. It sounds to me like it will be a very special place that will be made, and actually I would think it would be an honor to have the remains treated in such a way.

From the original link:

"They wanted them placed as close to bedrock as possible," Ferer said in a telephone interview. She said there were numerous meetings over the years about the museum and memorial. The remains will be placed in the memorial section of the facility, and relatives of those who died will have private access, she said.

So I guess there are just a few who have an issue with it being "underground"? I'm sorry, but in the ground is in the ground. We bury people in the ground all the time. It sounds to me like it will be a very special place that will be made, and actually I would think it would be an honor to have the remains treated in such a way.

But from what I read, not everybody was notified of this.

IMO when you bury a person 6 feet under and mark it with a tombstone, that is much different than 70 feet underground in a basement.

There are a lot of family members upset over this. I hope they are heard and taken seriously. I hope they are not just shrugged off. It's horrible.

From the original link:

Yea,I'm not quite sure what the issue is with "in the ground",as people are buried in the ground. The only thing I can presume is maybe they just don't want to have to go inside a building,and would prefer something outdoors?
Also is this something that people will have to pay to get in? How would that be handled? Do relatives get to go in for free? How many relatives deep would it go?

BBM - I don't either, but I certainly do not begrudge folks that do. My DH visits his Sister and Father and somehow finds comfort in doing so. These families have more than earned this right to have a place to visit their loved ones after 10 years.

But from what I read, not everybody was notified of this.

IMO when you bury a person 6 feet under and mark it with a tombstone, that is much different than 70 feet underground in a basement.

There are a lot of family members upset over this. I hope they are heard and taken seriously. I hope they are not just shrugged off. It's horrible.

ITA, I hope they are not shrugged off. I guess I would be one of the ones that would have agreed to it. I would look at it like whatever was built on top of them would be their tombstone. A wonderful marker and tribute to them.

ITA, I hope they are not shrugged off. I guess I would be one of the ones that would have agreed to it. I would look at it like whatever was built on top of them would be their tombstone. A wonderful marker and tribute to them.

I guess this has to do with my southern Baptist upbringing maybe??? I don't know. :smile:

I was just always taught you do not walk on the graves of those who have past. I know there are people from hundreds of years ago buried around and chances are I have walked on somebody in my lifetime. But I try MY BEST not too. When I go to the grave yard, I am very careful to walk around all of the graves, not over them.

And, I also want these family members to get some sort of closure when their loved ones are buried. Not feel bad about it. They've been through so much already.

The Sept 11 deceased are murder victims, and as we on Websleuths know, sometimes the bodies of murder victims are never recovered. The same is true for plane crash victims.

The remains are scattered over a large area, and the only way to prevent folks from walking over the area would be to fence it off, or make a HUGE mausoleum out of the entire site. Neither of these options is practical, nor would they allow the families to visit. I'm really not sure there's a solution to this.

But they have gathered a lot of remains. Now it's just where to put them.
I think it should be up to the families.

Regardless of where they are put: that whole site will always be one massive grave... it's the reality of things given how many perished there and were never officially recovered because the site turned into a massive crematorium for some victims.

Because the families should have a say in what happens to their loved ones' remains.

That have that right.

ETA: Maybe they want something above ground so that they have a place to visit. Visiting a museam and knowing your family member is 7 stories under it is much different than visiting a "tomb" or "vault" above ground.

JMO

Again, you and others speak of "the families" as if they all have the same opinion and speak with one voice. That just isn't true. It's not that NO survivors were consulted, but apparently some of the survivors feel they have a divine right to dictate everything that happens in Lower Manhattan.

I agree truth. That was my first thought. Everyone who visits the museum would be walking over the bodies of the victims. I find that very disrespectful.

Just where do you think you walk today?

We've rarely demonstrated such delicacy with regard to Native Americans. We've built over their graves all over the country. (ETA: I see you made this note yourself in a later post.)

In ancient cities such as London and Rome and Jerusalem, it's hardly possible to even know who may lie in some of the many layers underneath any new construction.

A great and beautiful cathedral in Dubrovnik is built over the remains of hundreds of monks who were buried alive when a previous building on the same spot collapsed during an earthquake. So there is precedent, even in Western culture, for building over a burial site in remembrance rather than disrespect.

ETA: the new cathedral of Los Angeles has a crypt in its basement, so people walk over the dead there, too. I assume basement crypts are common features in many churches, so I fail to see the disrespect.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back