FL - Millions of Disney Destination e-mails obtained by hacker

Best buy rewards as well I just got this email

Dear Valued Best Buy Customer,

On March 31, we were informed by Epsilon, a company we use to send emails to our customers, that files containing the email addresses of some Best Buy customers were accessed without authorization.

We have been assured by Epsilon that the only information that may have been obtained was your email address and that the accessed files did not include any other information. A rigorous assessment by Epsilon determined that no other information is at risk. We are actively investigating to confirm this.

For your security, however, we wanted to call this matter to your attention. We ask that you remain alert to any unusual or suspicious emails. As our experts at Geek Squad would tell you, be very cautious when opening links or attachments from unknown senders.

In keeping with best industry security practices, Best Buy will never ask you to provide or confirm any information, including credit card numbers, unless you are on our secure e-commerce site, www.bestbuy.com. If you receive an email asking for personal information, delete it. It did not come from Best Buy.

Our service provider has reported this incident to the appropriate authorities.

We regret this has taken place and for any inconvenience this may have caused you. We take your privacy very seriously, and we will continue to work diligently to protect your personal information. For more information on keeping your data safe, please visit:
http://www.geeksquad.com/do-it-yourself/tech-tip/six-steps-to-keeping-your-data-safe.aspx.

Sincerely,

Barry Judge
Executive Vice President & Chief Marketing Officer
Best Buy

Yep, Disney Destinations sent me an email yesterday morning explaining that my email addy was one of those exposed to the hackers. They said it was the only personal thing that was exposed, so that is kind of a relief. It goes on to explain:

As a result of this incident, it is possible that you may receive spam
email messages, emails that contain links containing computer viruses
or other types of computer malware, or emails that seek to deceive you
into providing personal or credit card information. As a result, you
should be extremely cautious before opening links or attachments from
unknown third parties or providing a credit card number or other
sensitive information in response to any email.

This is worrisome, but I have a couple of advantages: I am an extremely cautious email user, so I can spot spam and phishing emails a mile away, and I rarely open attachments. And I'm a Mac user, meaning my chances of these jacka$$es infecting any of my computers are low. (Most attachment viruses are aimed at security holes in the Windows platform. Mind you, not all, because there are Mac viruses out there... they are just few and far between)

and wlagreens.. I just got this email

Dear Valued Customer,

On March 30th, we were informed by Epsilon, a company we use to send emails to our customers, that files containing the email addresses of some Walgreens customers were accessed without authorization.

We have been assured by Epsilon that the only information that was obtained was your email address. No other personally identifiable information was at risk because such data is not contained in Epsilon's email system.

For your security, we encourage you to be aware of common email scams that ask for personal or sensitive information. Walgreens will not send you emails asking for your credit card number, social security number or other personally identifiable information. If ever asked for this information, you can be confident it is not from Walgreens.

We regret this has taken place and any inconvenience this may have caused you. If you have any questions regarding this issue, please contact us at 1-855-814-0010. We take your privacy very seriously, and we will continue to work diligently to protect your personal information.

Sincerely,

Walgreens Customer Service Team

LOL and target!!!!!!

To our valued guests,

Target’s email service provider, Epsilon, recently informed us that their data system was exposed to unauthorized entry. As a result, your email address may have been accessed by an unauthorized party. Epsilon took immediate action to close the vulnerability and notified law enforcement.

While no personally identifiable information, such as names and credit card information, was involved, we felt it was important to let you know that your email may have been compromised. Target would never ask for personal or financial information through email.
Consider these tips to help protect your personal information online:

* Don’t provide sensitive information through email. Regular email is not a secure method to transmit personal information.
* Don’t provide sensitive information outside of a secure website. Legitimate companies will not attempt to collect personal information outside a secure website. If you are concerned, contact the organization represented in the email.
* Don’t open emails from senders you don’t know.

We sincerely regret that this incident occurred. Target takes information protection very seriously and will continue to work to ensure that all appropriate measures are taken to protect personal information. Please contact Guest.Relations@target.com should you have any additional questions.

Sincerely,

Bonnie Gross
Vice President, Marketing and Guest Engagement

and wlagreens.. I just got this email

Dear Valued Customer,

On March 30th, we were informed by Epsilon, a company we use to send emails to our customers, that files containing the email addresses of some Walgreens customers were accessed without authorization.

We have been assured by Epsilon that the only information that was obtained was your email address. No other personally identifiable information was at risk because such data is not contained in Epsilon's email system.

For your security, we encourage you to be aware of common email scams that ask for personal or sensitive information. Walgreens will not send you emails asking for your credit card number, social security number or other personally identifiable information. If ever asked for this information, you can be confident it is not from Walgreens.

We regret this has taken place and any inconvenience this may have caused you. If you have any questions regarding this issue, please contact us at 1-855-814-0010. We take your privacy very seriously, and we will continue to work diligently to protect your personal information.

Sincerely,

Walgreens Customer Service Team

Well, I got a triple whammy...my Facebook got hacked, I got the Walgreens email and the Disney email. I shop at Best Buy a lot, so I'm sure that will be coming next...what's up with this?

Just saw this as well.

(Reuters) - The names and e-mails of customers of Citigroup Inc and other large U.S. companies, as well as College Board students, were exposed in a massive and growing data breach after a computer hacker penetrated online marketer Epsilon.

In what could be one of the biggest such breaches in U.S. history, a diverse swath of companies that did business with Epsilon stepped forward over the weekend to warn customers some of their electronic information could have been exposed.

Drugstore Walgreen, Video recorder TiVo Inc, credit card lender Capital One Financial Corp and teleshopping company HSN Inc all added their names to a list of targets that also includes some of the nation's largest banks.

The names and electronic contacts of some students affiliated with the U.S.-based College Board -- which represents some 5,900 colleges, universities and schools -- were also potentially compromised.

No personal financial information such as credit cards or social security numbers appeared to be exposed, according to the company statements and e-mails to customers.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/04/04/us-citi-capitalone-data-idUSTRE7321PI20110404

I got emails from usbank and also new york and co. about this as well! I can't believe how many companies this place sends mail out for!

Kroger
• TiVo
• US Bank
• JPMorgan Chase
• Capital One
• Citi
• Home Shopping Network (HSN) (added 4/3 @10:22am)
• Ameriprise Financial
• LL Bean Visa Card
• Lacoste
• AbeBooks
• McKinsey & Company
• Ritz-Carlton Rewards
• Marriott Rewards
• New York & Company
• Brookstone
• Walgreens (Again!)
• The College Board (added 4/3 @8:20am)
• Disney Destinations
• Best Buy
• Robert Half Technologies
• Target
• QFC

Up to date List of current companies that are affected

http://www.securityweek.com/massive-breach-epsilon-compromises-customer-lists-major-brands

I got three emails myself. Chase Bank, Best buy, and Target.

Epsilon.

Yep, so far I've gotten one from HSN, but expect to see more...Grrr...:devil:
I could go on (like the time I went to get money at the ATM and it confiscated my card b/c someone had gotten the numbers but I hadn't gotten the letter telling me that yet)...why can't someone figure out how to hack away my debt? :) Like, erase everyone's student loan balances or something:) :praying::praying::praying:

THIS is why I get mad when companies I do business with SELL my email addy for marketing purposes.. Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

I got one from Kroger.... And I was freaked at first, because I work for a kroger subsidary.... But then realized it had to do with everyone with a "sooper card" I was scared they got my employment info!!!!

Its getting crazy in our world, always use cautions online :twocents:

Kroger
• TiVo
• US Bank
• JPMorgan Chase
• Capital One
• Citi
• Home Shopping Network (HSN) (added 4/3 @10:22am)
• Ameriprise Financial
• LL Bean Visa Card
• Lacoste
• AbeBooks
• McKinsey & Company
• Ritz-Carlton Rewards
• Marriott Rewards
• New York & Company
• Brookstone
• Walgreens (Again!)
• The College Board (added 4/3 @8:20am)
• Disney Destinations
• Best Buy
• Robert Half Technologies
• Target
• QFC

Up to date List of current companies that are affected

http://www.securityweek.com/massive-breach-epsilon-compromises-customer-lists-major-brands

Sorry - posted in the other thread (which thread is THE thread?)...

I got a notice from Sears today (owned by CitiBank). Had already received a notice from Target.

So what the recommendation? Change all passwords?

Add another one to the lengthy list:

This email was sent to you by World Financial Network National Bank (WFNNB). WFNNB issues your Victoria's Secret Credit Card Account.

And this is why I don't sign up for stuff online. If I can get it in the store, I get it in the store. If not, I don't get it.

No credit cards, no shoppers cards that are linked to an email, and my bank card is not attached to my email. Cash only as much as possible. A lot of people have seen this coming for a long time. Your email should be as private as your home address, don't give it out unless you absolutely have to, but many people don't heed that advice and this is the outcome.

So what the recommendation? Change all passwords?

The criminals have your real name and your email address.

But they do not have your email password. The email-sending company doesn't have that password either.

So you don't need to worry about changing your password.

However... at any time in the future, as long as you use that email address, you will be vulnerable to personalized "phishing" attacks.

Old style "phishing": Dear Bank Customer, please log in at this fake website etc etc.

Personalized "phishing": Dear Mr. Fred Qwerty, please log in at this fake website etc etc.

Since the bad guys can include a real name, and fake the "From" line, and include official logos, they can now make very convincing bogus emails that will fool a lot of people.

And this will continue way into the future, because the databases will probably be sold and resold and spread all over. :curses:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amberraff
Back