GUILTY IN - Angel Shuai dies after pregnant mom eats rat poison, Anderson, 23 Dec 2010

MorenoI

Reaction score
Attorneys say 34-year-old Shuai was 33 weeks pregnant when she ate rat poison Dec. 23. Doctors delivered her daughter prematurely Dec. 31, and the child died three days later.

Prosecutors also charged with Shuai with attempted feticide, saying she intended to kill the fetus as well as herself.

This lady needs psychological help asap!

She intended to kill the child AS WELL AS herself.

This is not a typical child murdering parent, this is a woman that needs immediate intensive help.
RIP Angel. I hope your mother gets the help she so obviously needed, and I wish it could have been in time to save you.

http://www.indystar.com/article/201...attempt?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|IndyStar.com

Bond hearing continues for woman in suicide attempt
City woman wants to get out of jail in case of newborn girl dying from ingested poison
12:11 AM, Apr. 6, 2011

An Indianapolis woman accused of killing her newborn baby through her own suicide attempt is asking a judge to let her out of jail on bond.

http://www.aclu.org/reproductive-freedom/state-indiana-v-bei-bei-shuai

The ACLU filed an amicus brief arguing that the state of Indiana cannot unconstitutionally subject a woman to harsher criminal penalties because she is pregnant.

That makes no sense. If someone else killed her, they could be charged with killing the child, but if she purposely harms the child, she can't be?

Seems to me if you act crazy and do things off the norm you just may get away with murder.If she really wanted to kill herself she would have taken a whole lot more and not have told anyone she took it.She didn't want the baby,plain and simple...MOO..

It's ridiculous that she be charged with murdering her child. It hadn't yet been born and taken it's first breath, therefore was still a foetus, however sad this might be. She certainly should be out on bail at the very least rather than locked up when she is vulnerable and in need of psychiatric care. What's next? Charging mums who smoke whilst pregnant with child abuse?

It's ridiculous that she be charged with murdering her child. It hadn't yet been born and taken it's first breath, therefore was still a foetus, however sad this might be. She certainly should be out on bail at the very least rather than locked up when she is vulnerable and in need of psychiatric care. What's next? Charging mums who smoke whilst pregnant with child abuse?

She was 33 weeks along. That is close to being full term. Much more than just a fetus at 6 and a half months. I don't think she would have been able to get a legal abortion at that stage. So this does seem closer to a criminal act. However I do agree with you that she is vulnerable and needs mental help.

Comparing Rat Poison to her smoking a cig is a bit of a stretch though, imo.

The Unborn Victims of Violence Act makes it a crime to harm a fetus during an assault on a pregnant woman.

The pregnant woman committed the assault on her fetus, so why is she not being charged with murder? Just because a stranger didn't force feed her the rat poison?

It's the INTENT to kill her child. Smoking whilst pregnant does not kill a child, nor does a drink or 2. Even women who take meth for 9 months deliver babies.

This <modsnip> wanted her child DEAD. The intent is clearly there. IMHO she should not be out on bail - she's right where she belongs.

That's my opinion and I'm a stickin to it!

Mel

That makes no sense. If someone else killed her, they could be charged with killing the child, but if she purposely harms the child, she can't be?

Guess not. Some politicians will even refer to it as a self-inflicted-late-term-abortion. Roll eyes!

Mel

If somebody else forced her to eat that poison, would anyone be arguing not to charge that somebody with the murder of a fetus?
In fact we do charge people with murder if fetus is close to full term.

People who try to commint suicide are considered as in need of mental services ,at the time she was not in a normal persons state of mind.

Also it is very possible she didnt veiw her own body as two lives when she decided to attemped to end hers.

http://www.mentalhealthamerica.net/go/suicide

At 33 weeks, had she gone into labor chances are the BABY would have survived and done well - she was 12 full weeks beyond getting a legal abortion, why? because ending the life of a pre-born baby after 21 weeks is cruel and painful - the baby is concidered viable.

If anyone else had caused her harm that resulted in the death of her baby they would be charged with murder - just because the baby was in her womb doesn't give her the right to takes a life, literally weeks before she was full term -

Had she been taking illegal drugs, gone into labor and given birth to a baby with drugs in her system she would be charged with child abuse and neglect. Had she given birth after taking illegal drugs and the baby died she would be charged at the least with manslaughter & child abuse. Those events are not usually attempts to cause harm, so why should she get a pass? Abuse is abuse and she murdered her viable unborn baby.

I'm not pretending to know her state of mind when she ate rat poison - I'm sure most agree she was far from normal that day, but as long as she knew right from wrong, she is exactly where she belongs - she will in all likeliness be evaluated and treated while in jail - where she is prevented from causing anymore harm.

At 33 weeks, had she gone into labor chances are the BABY would have survived and done well - she was 12 full weeks beyond getting a legal abortion, why? because ending the life of a pre-born baby after 21 weeks is cruel and painful - the baby is concidered viable.

If anyone else had caused her harm that resulted in the death of her baby they would be charged with murder - just because the baby was in her womb doesn't give her the right to takes a life, literally weeks before she was full term -

Had she been taking illegal drugs, gone into labor and given birth to a baby with drugs in her system she would be charged with child abuse and neglect. Had she given birth after taking illegal drugs and the baby died she would be charged at the least with manslaughter & child abuse. Those events are not usually attempts to cause harm, so why should she get a pass? Abuse is abuse and she murdered her viable unborn baby.

I'm not pretending to know her state of mind when she ate rat poison - I'm sure most agree she was far from normal that day, but as long as she knew right from wrong, she is exactly where she belongs - she will in all likeliness be evaluated and treated while in jail - where she is prevented from causing anymore harm.

Taking illegal drug is an illegal act. If one causes harm to another will using drugs which is an illegal act that is considered a direct result of the first illegal act. Is it illegal to attempt suicide? I dont know the answer to that.

She was 33 weeks along. That is close to being full term. Much more than just a fetus at 6 and a half months. I don't think she would have been able to get a legal abortion at that stage. So this does seem closer to a criminal act. However I do agree with you that she is vulnerable and needs mental help.

Comparing Rat Poison to her smoking a cig is a bit of a stretch though, imo.

Very true. But if she had delivered the child and disposed of it, she couldn't be charged with murder unless the state could prove the child took a breath. Other charges may have applied, but they usually can't charge murder.

The Unborn Victims of Violence Act makes it a crime to harm a fetus during an assault on a pregnant woman.

The pregnant woman committed the assault on her fetus, so why is she not being charged with murder? Just because a stranger didn't force feed her the rat poison?

It's the INTENT to kill her child. Smoking whilst pregnant does not kill a child, nor does a drink or 2. Even women who take meth for 9 months deliver babies.

This <modsnip> wanted her child DEAD. The intent is clearly there. IMHO she should not be out on bail - she's right where she belongs.

That's my opinion and I'm a stickin to it!

Mel

But did she really want the child dead? Many women see the child as an individual at the time they learn they are pregnant. But some other women they don't feel that until they feel the child move. Still others only begin to feel that when they actually see the child's face. And that is women who aren't depressed.

For a depressed pregnant woman, I can see many other ways she might react. I can see her totally not mentally facing that she is pregnant. She was killing herself, and totally ignoring that her action would also kill her child. Her mental pain may have been so great that she could not accept the reality of her being pregnant.

I can also see her going to the other extreme and seeing her own situation as so hopeless that she transfers that same same feeling to her unborn child and sees its situation as totally hopeless. Therefore she saw herself as saving the child from feeling the same pain she herself was feeling.

And yes, after she took the rat poison she called someone. That isn't at all unusual. Many suicidal people will make 'attempts' then back out many times before they will actually follow through. I've done the same thing, but wasn't pregnant.

The fact that she called someone can mean many things. It could be that the act of taking the poison scared herself so badly that her self protective instincts kicked in, it could be that she changed her mind. It could be that she thought it was too late for anyone to save her, but she had someone she wanted to say goodbye to. It could just be that in her confused mind, she wanted to die with the feeling that someone cared.

It doesn't automatically have to be that she thought the poison had done the job on her baby and she called to get help for herself. Actually if what she wanted was just to kill her baby, there are many other ways to have attempted to kill the baby that would have provided much less risk to herself.

Actually the unborn rights in the US are pretty confusing.

It is legal for a mother to abort her child up to a certain age. Under certain conditions, in some states that can be extended to an older gestational age. But if someone kills the mother and the child dies also, that person can sometimes be charged with the murder of the unborn. If a person is involved in a traffic accident that injures a woman, it is a traffic offense. If that woman was pregnant and the unborn child dies, then it is homicide. Even though the woman could have legally aborted the unborn if she had wished. Our laws on the unborn are really confusing.

Taking illegal drug is an illegal act. If one causes harm to another will using drugs which is an illegal act that is considered a direct result of the first illegal act. Is it illegal to attempt suicide? I dont know the answer to that.

I don't know either - This reminds me of the countless "parents" we have seen here who attempt a murder - suicide. So many times the child ends up dead and the murderer just can't finish the act of killing themselves. I'm not suggesting their attempted suicide is a good thing, I believe the murder of defenseless children is an act of selfishness and cowardice - usually meant to punish the other parent and I think that is possibly the case here.

Shuai was dumped by the baby's father (who she planned on marrying) - she walked across the street to a hardware store and purchased rat poison, went home and ate it.

But she was surprised when they didn't immediately kill her. Frustrated, she got back in her car and drove northeast to Anderson, where several close friends live, though she didn't go to any of them. Instead, she went to a gas station, where by chance, Sui Mak's husband, Bing, spotted her. She was puffy-eyed, pale, out of sorts. He convinced her to drive straight to their home and have a meal. Finally, she confided about the rat poison. They coaxed her into the car and drove her to the hospital.

This act sounds very deliberate (IMO)

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2011-04-13/jennifer-block-on-bei-bei-shuais-feticide-ordeal/

Until just the last few years, if a pregnant woman was assaulted and her baby died from the attack - there was little to nothing done in regards to that baby's death - laws were changed to punish the perp (often the boyfriend/baby's father) - now those same laws are being used against women who commit acts that cause the death of their own pre-born infant. If the baby was concidered viable the mother-to-be is held accountable just like anyone else. How is this not just?

Woman are given 20 weeks to decide if they want to abort - once past that cutoff IMO they have made a commitment to carry the pregnancy to term. I know I sound like I have no compassion for her - my compassion is for that poor baby's suffering, until she died a week after her mother poisoned her...

From August 2013:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/02/bei-bei-shuai-guilty_n_3698383.html

A Chinese immigrant charged with killing her baby by eating rat poison while she was pregnant pleaded guilty Friday to a misdemeanor count of criminal recklessness as part of a deal with prosecutors.

Bei Bei Shuai, 36, pleaded guilty to criminal recklessness and was sentenced to time served, which was 178 days, Marion County Prosecutor Terry Curry said... Charges of murder and feticide were dropped.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back