Air France families -Leave their remains at rest in the sea

peeples

Reaction score
Given the WTC victim topic we were talking about I decided to post another perspective from other families of tragedy.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/europe/04/05/france.jet.wreckage/index.html?hpt=C1

"For me, personally I would like to leave the bodies of my children, my two children, on the seabed," said Robert Soulas, vice president of a support group for the families of the 228 people on the flight from Rio de Janeiro to Paris that crashed in stormy weather on June 1, 2009"

"The human remains will be brought to the surface and identified, French Ecology and Transportation Minister Nathalie Kosciusko-Morizet said."

It isn't reported if all of the family members of the 200+ victims wish to leave their loved ones at the bottom of the ocean.

If all are in agreement I see no problem with that.

If there is only one that wants to have the remains returned to them then go get them. JMHO

It isn't reported if all of the family members of the 200+ victims wish to leave their loved ones at the bottom of the ocean.

If there is only one that wants to have the remains returned to them then go get them. JMHO

I'm assuming it isn't just a matter of diving to retrieve Francois Martin alone because of the size and cost of the retrieval operation and the difficulty in identifying one individual under that much water.

So assuming that is true, why should the wishes of one survivor trump the wishes of all the others? (I'm sincerely asking. I don't yet have an opinion on this case.)

I'm kind of astonished that there is anything left after all this time.

Honestly, I can't even begin to imagine how I would feel. I can see both sides.

Thought I quoted Nova. Sorry, this post is an answer to Nova.

Well I didn't have an opinion so I personalized it and formed an opinion thinking how I would feel if it were my child at the bottom of the ocean and someone else who had a loved one on the flight wanted to leave their loved one there. In my mind I couldn't leave them there, I'm too selfish to be honest. I would want their remains to lay to rest so that I could visit with them.

To be even more honest -I've stated on WS my deepest fear is to lose one of my children, I really meant that. I know that I wouldn't survive with my heart and soul intact if that happened. I know myself well enough to know that.

So I posted an opinion formed from how I would feel rather than logic and expenses and I didn't see it as trumping the other family members but rather I see it as if any of family members want their child or spouse or significant other back with them they should by all means have them.

That probably reads like a ramble Nova, but just explaining that my thought process on this issue can't be seperated from how my heart would feel if I were in this position and it was my child or spouse or parent that I wanted returned to me. I hope you can make heads or tails out of what I've written :)

How are they going to tell who is who? Any means to id them would require bringing them up.

Thought I quoted Nova. Sorry, this post is an answer to Nova.

Well I didn't have an opinion so I personalized it and formed an opinion thinking how I would feel if it were my child at the bottom of the ocean and someone else who had a loved one on the flight wanted to leave their loved one there. In my mind I couldn't leave them there, I'm too selfish to be honest. I would want their remains to lay to rest so that I could visit with them.

To be even more honest -I've stated on WS my deepest fear is to lose one of my children, I really meant that. I know that I wouldn't survive with my heart and soul intact if that happened. I know myself well enough to know that.

So I posted an opinion formed from how I would feel rather than logic and expenses and I didn't see it as trumping the other family members but rather I see it as if any of family members want their child or spouse or significant other back with them they should by all means have them.

That probably reads like a ramble Nova, but just explaining that my thought process on this issue can't be seperated from how my heart would feel if I were in this position and it was my child or spouse or parent that I wanted returned to me. I hope you can make heads or tails out of what I've written :)

You're not rambling at all, Kat, you're speaking from the heart and I very much appreciate it.

Despite my posts on the 9/11 survivor's thread, I am not in the least unsympathetic to the feelings and wishes of survivors, here or at the WTC. I just realize that when dealing with large groups and the disorder that usually results from catastrophes, it may not always be possible to accommodate everyone's preference.

Sometimes somebody has to say, "I"m sorry, but this is the best we can do."

ETA: if we allowed such sensitivity toward remains during WWI or WWII, we would still have American corpses lying around all over the world, waiting for interment. Instead, the military had to make decisions such as mass graves on battlefields in cases where individuals couldn't be readily identified. That's basically what is going on with Air France and the WTC.

im reminded of an incident that I read about back in the 80's here in Idaho at Hayden Lake which is a fairly deep glacier fed lake.
It seems back in 1962 two teenage girls were boating and had a collision with another boat that resulted in their boat sinking and the two girls going to the bottom with it.
20 years later in '82 a diver happend upon the wreck ....and the bodies of the two girls.(imagine that poor guy!)
You wouldnt think there would be anything left but apparently the lake is very cold at that depth since the bodies were identified intially by the swimsuits they were wearing even after 20 years.
The parents were not very happy with the publlicity and I remember one saying it was like ripping all the scar tissue off 20 years of grief.
So I guess I get how some of the french relatives would feel.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okaydandy
Back