Woman Killed by Gator in Ft. Myers Fl

poco

Reaction score
Woman killed by gator

20-year-old was found in south Fort Myers lake

By MIKE HOYEM
mhoyem@news-press
Published by news-press.com on September 27, 2004

A 20-year-old Georgia woman who apparently went swimming early Sunday morning in a south Fort Myers lake was killed by an alligator.

Michelle Reeves, of Roswell, was found floating face-down in a lake near the Cypress Cove development at Lee Memorial HealthPark.

The college student's right arm was bitten off at the elbow and there were other indications she was attacked by a gator, Lee County Sheriff's spokeswoman Ileana LiMarzi said

http://news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040927/NEWS01/409270410/1075

With all of the storms in Florida wouldn't the reptiles be places they might not otherwise be? Were there always gators in this area?

Yes DP...Fort Myers has always had a gator population. My ex-MIL and FIL used to find them in their backyard quite often. :eek:

nixmom said:
Yes DP...Fort Myers has always had a gator population. My ex-MIL and FIL used to find them in their backyard quite often. :eek:

I'm sorry to say this, but WHY would this girl go swimming in that lake? Was she drinking or something? Its just crazy sounding to me.

Jeana (DP) said:
I'm sorry to say this, but WHY would this girl go swimming in that lake? Was she drinking or something? Its just crazy sounding to me.

I wouldn't be surprised if alcohol was involved. It's not a good idea to go swimming anywhere in the wee hours of the morning...gators or no gators!

Jeana (DP) said:
With all of the storms in Florida wouldn't the reptiles be places they might not otherwise be? Were there always gators in this area?
I was thinking that as my sweety & I waded through flood water walking to his mom's house in Hobe Sound, FL. We know there is a 5' gator that lives in the pond near the 8th green and that pond became one with the water that was in the streets.

Seems to me that the gator might think, "Woo hoo, bigger pond!" I know the fishes did as there were a couple of small ones swimming down the sidewalk.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back