Staff member
Reaction score
The Doe Network:
Case File 742UMFL
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/742umfl.html

742UMFL.jpg

Reconstruction of Victim by Samantha Steinberg

Unidentified White Male

* The victim was discovered on April 26, 2004 in Miami, Miami-Dade County, Florida

Vital Statistics

* Estimated age: 21-35 years old
* Approximate Height and Weight: 5'0"-6'0"; 152 lbs.
* Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown hair, 3.5 centimeters in length; brown eyes. He had a short gray and brown mustache and beard. A 23.0 centimeter, mid line, vertical scar is on his upper abdomen.
* Clothing: Light red Anvil brand, 100% cotton preshrunk teeshirt (size large), with the inscription and logo of Atlantis, Paradise Island, Bahamas Resort. Nautica brand khaki pants, black socks. No shoes, jewelry or personal effects were found.
* Dentals: Available
* Fingerprints: Available
* DNA: Available; University of North Texas

Case History

The victim was located at a canal at 12222 N.W. 22nd Avenue Road in Miami, Florida on April 26, 2004. The canal is in a residential area, running east and west, but channels parallel to N.W. 22nd Avenue.

This guy just showed up in NamUs a couple of days ago:

Orestes Perez

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/10145/23

742UMFL.jpg

* He is missing from Miami only 8 days before the body was found (in a canal in Miami)
* Very solid resemblance. Eyebrows are identical, nose is very similar. Facial shape is similar.
* His age and height are within range, although the height range is very wide.
* No mention of a scar on his abdomen.
* The UID is listed as caucasion, but based on his appearance, could be Hispanic.

Orestes Perez

742UMFL.jpg

* He is missing from Miami only 8 days before the body was found (in a canal in Miami)
* Very solid resemblance. Eyebrows are identical, nose is very similar. Facial shape is similar.
* The UID is listed as caucasion, but based on his appearance, could be Hispanic.

The thing that especially catches my eye is the way the ears sit unusually low on both Perez's and the UID's head.

good choice Carl.

I thought it was impossible to have an intact body "fresh" enough to have eye color and not have an accurate measurement of height.

per Namus the UID was 5'6":

https://identifyus.org/cases/1031

Thanks for putting that up. I had to be somewhere, and I was in a hurry to finish my post before I left. I didn't have time to find the NamUs file.

But the more specific height estimate is still within range.

Thanks for putting that up. I had to be somewhere, and I was in a hurry to finish my post before I left. I didn't have time to find the NamUs file.

But the more specific height estimate is still within range.

at Namus there is a second image of the UID with a darker complexion. looks much more like Orestes.

Orestes Perez

742UMFL.jpg

He is missing from Miami only 8 days before the body was found (in a canal in Miami)

I just sent off an e-mail to Sandra Boyd of the Miami-Dade Cnty Med Examiners Office.

at Namus there is a second image of the UID with a darker complexion. looks much more like Orestes.

The body probably was in poor condition from being in water, thereby making it difficult to assess his complexion.

Received a reply from Sandra Boyd:

She says that she is forwarding the info to the MP detective on the case.

You're on a roll Carl!

I received a reply from Sandra Boyd. She forwarded a message from the detective in charge of the case.

I sent DNA recently to North Texas Univ. The DNA was taken from his son. I have not received anything back from the university yet.

I hope that they are requesting a specific manual comparison, as opposed to just an entry to CODIS.

According to David VanNorman (Deputy Coroner Investigator of the San Bernadino County (CA) Coroner's Office), CODIS will not even perform a familial nucDNA comparison based only on a single Family Reference Sample.

And since the missing person is male and the FRS is from his offspring, a mtDNA comparison can’t be performed either.

ETA: I replied to her e-mail explaining just that.

Just thought I would check in on this case. I found this possible match yesterday and realized today that you had already posted it. It seems pretty obvious to me. Any update?

Just thought I would check in on this case. I found this possible match yesterday and realized today that you had already posted it. It seems pretty obvious to me. Any update?

No, I've not heard back. Maybe I should ask the case manager for an update.

Orestes Perez

742UMFL.jpg

I just got an e-mail back from Sandra Boyd on the comparison of this John Doe to Orestes Perez:

They were able to find a dental x-ray of one tooth - Ruled Out based on dentals.

What about Juan Carlos Mattos?

http://www.nampn.org/cases/mattos_juan.html

- Last seen March 14, 2004 in Miami
-33 years old (within age range)
-5'6" - 5'8" (jives with NamUs estimate of 5'6")
-Weight 150-170 (consistent with estimate of 152)
-Location he was last seen (NW 8th Street and 87th Avenue) is only blocks away from where the body was found (in canal at 12222 NW 22nd)
- Decent resemblance to our sketch

Heads up too, CarlK...there is another NamUs case in Miami in October 2004, white/hispanic male early 30s same build. That guy could be Orestes too, as the DOD was listed as "months earlier." I also want Mattos compared to that guy because it's further from where he was last seen, but very near where his car was found. Also that UID was found with a gold ring and Mattos wore a ring also, and a watch, and Mattos had a watch. I think it said Mattos' watch was a Rolex, so if the October UID's is also a Rolex, that may itself be a sign of whether or not to pursue further.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jemabogado
Back