NV NV - Las Vegas, WhtMale 18-65, 525UMNV, hanged at hotel, moles, scars, clothes, Jun'99

laini:

This looks real good to me. Newcastle is on the outskirts of Sacramento and it is a long day's drive to Las Vegas (I live in Sacramento area and have made it myself at times). It is also only an hour away by plane with frequent flights directly from Sacramento to LV.

The difference in the ages I don't think is a problem, yet the weight difference is a little more troubling. However, I know that my driver's license weight and my actual weight are farther off than this.

Let's get some other opinions first, but if you feel that this is worthy of LE involvement, I have a contact in the Placer County Sheriff's detective unit that I can pass this on to. Let me know!

Is the mole on the opposite side? But it does look like him...

At the bottom of the doenetwork page there is a link to the Clark County Coroner that show's an actual picture of the unidentified man. In the picture the mole is in the same place as the photo however there appears to be something on the other side of his face too-it's really hard to tell because of the angle. The eyebrows struck me as similar too-the shapes seem the same.

Becca

With Laini's permission, I have forwarded this information to the Placer County Sheriffs Dept.

One thing that escaped me when I first looked at this case: I was under the incorrect impression that the JD was found 4 days after Singer went missing, not the 2 years, 4 days that the information clearly showed. :doh: This reduces the odds, in my mind, of this being a match, but it certainly is worth passing along to LE. Because of time and budget constraints, they do not have the ability to do this sort of tedious research, so whatever we can help them with is valuable.

Dr. Doogie said:
With Laini's permission, I have forwarded this information to the Placer County Sheriffs Dept.

One thing that escaped me when I first looked at this case: I was under the incorrect impression that the JD was found 4 days after Singer went missing, not the 2 years, 4 days that the information clearly showed. :doh: This reduces the odds, in my mind, of this being a match, but it certainly is worth passing along to LE. Because of time and budget constraints, they do not have the ability to do this sort of tedious research, so whatever we can help them with is valuable.
Thanks Doogie. I did see the time difference, and I didn't think much of it. I got the impression he just skipped town in California and after awhile he was reported missing, rather than he didn't come home at night and everyone was franticallly searching. Maybe he went to Vegas for what ever reasons (and there could be many). Things didn't work out. And didn't have any strong ties to anyone to go back, then committing suicide.

I received a reply from Placer County saying thanks for the tip (my contact is the lead investigator on this case, it turns out). She will follow up on it. Great job, Laini! :clap:

Frank Singer is not listed as a rule out on the UID's namus page here https://identifyus.org/cases/8044

But there is a MORGUE PHOTO of the deceased in the link and although it's different angle IMO it looks like the missing person's hairline is higher up.

I'm sorry, I really don't see this. The hair/hair line and facial shape looks different to me in Mr. Singer and 525UMNV.
525UMNV has been one of the cases that I have been interested in for some time and I believe that he is possible to identify. I have a feeling that he is someone who went on holiday to Las Vegas and something went terribly wrong; it is just necessary for the right person to see the sketch and say something to the extent of "...that really looks like Vincent, come to think of it, I haven't heard from him since he went to Las Vegas." I guess I could be wrong, though.

Unidentified White Male​
525UMNV.jpg

Clark County Case Number: #99-3276
Doe Network Case File 525UMNV
NamUs UP # 8044

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/525umnv.html
*Warning post mortem photo at site* http://www.clarkcountynv.gov/Depts/coroner/unidentified/Pages/uni_details.aspx?uni_id=142
*Warning post mortem photo at site* https://identifyus.org/cases/8044
The victim was discovered on June 14, 1999 at 4:30 am in Las Vegas, Clark County, Nevada
Cause of death was: Suicide

Vital Statistics
Estimated age: 35/45+- years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 6'0"; 194 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: Black hair; brown eyes. He has a mole on the left side of his face next to his nose. NamUS lists his hair color as brown. It looks black to me on the post mortem photo.
He has scars on his ankles described by NamUs as “Located on the medial aspect of the ankles bilaterally are groups of parallel remote scars measuring up to 1.25 inch in dimension.”

Clothing: Black pants and belt, blue t-shirt, maroon undershirt, gray socks, slack shoes.

Case History
Doe Network states that the victim was located on June 14th 1999, hanging from an outside wall of the "El Rancho" Hotel at 2755 Las Vegas Boulevard South, Las Vegas, NV 89109

NamUS says that the decedent was found hanging by security officers on patrol outside the parking garage.

According to NamUs James Bradford of Arizona has been ruled out as being the decedent.

At the time of this man's death, the hotel (El Rancho, formerly Thunderbird) had been closed since July 6, 1992. Between its closure in 1992 and its implosion in on October 3, 2000, the El Rancho structure was vacant.

I can see a vague resemblance in both men and their height/weight is close to the unidentified man in Las Vegas, but the circumstances/distances of both Mr. McAvoy and Mr. Nordstrom's disappearances is difficult to me to get past. Mr. Nordstrom only had $6 on him and was riding a bicycle, I'm not really sure about him getting to Las Vegas. He also has a scar on his chin and one hand is smaller than the other according to the Doe Network, the man in Las Vegas had scars on his ankles, not his chin, and I really think the Clark County Coroner would have noticed one hand being smaller than the other. Mr. McAvoy was reportedly balding and don't think that the man in Las Vegas is; also, after reading about Mr. McAvoy on the Doe Network, it sounds like he met with bad fate in Kansas City. I wonder if 525UMNV could be from outside the US? Vaguely I remember reading about a suicide in Las Vegas where LE believed that the victim was from outside the US.

Frank Nash looks close. Stats match, time frame matches. I suppose he could have taken a bus or hitched a ride from SLC to Vegas; at least he was known to be in the western part of the country.

I came across a recently updated listing for Frank Robert Mazzella and wondered if he could possibly be the man from El Rancho if he had shaved his moustache? Mr. Mazzella disappeared in Westerly, Rhode Island and left his car there so getting to Las Vegas would be difficult. http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/53dmri.html

I also thought about Ralph Anthony Coppola, but he might be more robust than John Doe. http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/4398dmny.html

Are there are any actual photos of Frank Nash available?

Frank Nash and Steven Harbaugh have been added to the list of rule outs for this UID on NamUs. https://identifyus.org/cases/8044 Originally, James Bradford was the only rule out.

I don't think that this was in NamUs before, but it now says
Full STRs and mtDNA uploaded to national CODIS
and that his head hair
Demonstrates mild recession

I'm not sure if Websleuths is the place to add this, but I had a dream about this UID last night in which his name was Vincent (I have actually had this dream multiple times that his name was Vincent) and that there is something in the news in the days leading up to his suicide that leads to his identity (I am going to try to check this out now).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back