Resolved NY - E. Harlem, BlkMale UP6829, 20-30, in river, 'Nate the Great' tattoo, Oct'97

CarlK90245

UID Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Doe Network:
Case File 1619UMNY
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1619umny.html

2493431470045078242S600x600Q851.jpg

Tattoo

Unidentified Black Male

* The victim was discovered on October 12, 1997 in New York County, New York

Vital Statistics

* Estimated age: 20-30 years old
* Approximate Height and Weight: 71"; 165 lbs.
* Distinguishing Characteristics: Black, coarse, curly hair; brown eyes.
* Tattoos: "Nate the Great" on right shoulder.
* Clothing: Light blue boxers, blue "Pelle Pelle" jeans and a blue shoe.
* Dentals: Available

Case History
The victim was located floating in the East River at East 90th Street by the Coast Guard.

How about this guy:

Nathan Hines
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2166dmny.html
2299571320045078242S600x600Q851.jpg

* His name is Nathan (of which "Nate" is a variation).
* He was last seen six days before the UID was found.
* He is from the Bronx. The UID was found in the East River (which is pretty close to the Bronx)
* He is reported to have a tattoo that says "Nat" on his Left Shoulder. The UID's tattoo is on the right. But the description on Nathan Hines' NAMPN page may be mistaken.
* His height is within an inch.
* His age is within range.
* His ethnicity is right.

You would think they would have been compared, but we both know that is not always the case :banghead:

You would think they would have been compared, but we both know that is not always the case :banghead:

I can think of several NYC cases off the top of my head of people who should have been compared but weren't.

The case of Cemal Cansev is one.

Keep us posted Carl! Looks like a great possibility!

looks good Carl. NY seems to be finally making an effort. Hopefully Nathan can soon rest in peace.

I sent an e-mail to Benjamin Figura yesterday evening after not receiving a reply to my voicemail message. He replied as follows:

Carl, I got your message yesterday and the match is compelling. I'm waiting on additional info from missing persons.

I think this is a match Carl! Great Job!!!!!

I sent an e-mail to Benjamin Figura yesterday evening after not receiving a reply to my voicemail message. He replied as follows:

it is astonishing that this guy was not #1 on their list when the body was first retreived from the East River in 1997.

here is the Namus link for the UID:

https://identifyus.org/cases/6829

no rule-outs including Nathan Hines. interestingly enough, the Namus page was last modified on April 12, 2011 which was the day after Carl called the NYC ME's office, but it is impossible to know what was modified.

Nothing else on this yet?

I don' do a lot of this - generally I just stick to one old case by me - but when I saw this pop up on DoeNetwork I came to the same place as Carl did and I've been watching this thread ever since.
So, I'm wondering - what takes this long to rule someone out?

I don' do a lot of this - generally I just stick to one old case by me - but when I saw this pop up on DoeNetwork I came to the same place as Carl did and I've been watching this thread ever since.
So, I'm wondering - what takes this long to rule someone out?

I can only assume the MP file did not have enough information to make it a solid match or rule-out so they would have to go back to the MP people and request additional information.

Still nothing huh?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
legalpyro74
Back