Jury Selection Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wrinkles

Reaction score
Hello All,

Finally! We approach the beginning of the trial. I'm praying it goes smoothly, no glitches or errors and that the jurors make rapid work of taking Chris down. He has skated in his dorm room long enough. It's time for Sheri's family, friends and all of society to see Chris get a mere "taste" of his due, prison for life will not ever be enough.

From this Nick Pistor article (are you here Nick?):

"About 80 potential jurors ducked inside from the rain at the Knights of Columbus hall here Monday morning and heard a judge tell why they were summoned: three counts of first-degree murder."

Hmmm... I would like to see a photo of that KoC hall, I can't find it on Google Maps, I only find bushes and tractors??

Judge -- Perry County Circuit Judge James Campanella? No, Judge Campanella is assisting trial judge Milton Wharton with the first phase, i.e. jury selection.

Nick noted one of the things I had thought about... There is about 60 miles distance between where the trial is being held and where the murders took place.

Chris strangled the lives out of 3 innocents here: 2854 Robert Drive, Columbia, Illinois
Jurors are gathering here (I think): 312 N. Gordon, Pinckneyville, IL

According to Nick the trial will be held "nearby" -- would that be here?
3764 State Routes 13-127, Pinckneyville

Or here? Monroe County Courthouse, 100 South Main Street, Waterloo, IL

Distance from murder scene and the Knights of Columbus hall where the jurors are gathering: 62.1 miles on one route, 74.2 miles on another route according to Google maps

I wonder why jurors are gathering at the Knights of Columbus hall instead of the court house? Too much of a crowd and traffic at the courthouse? Nick wrote...

"Of 300 people summoned for service, this was the first wave of 80, filling out questionnaires about their backgrounds and any knowledge of the crime. Neither the lawyers nor defendant attended. Jury selection begins in earnest Tuesday in the nearby courthouse, while another wave arrives at the Knights of Columbus. Opening statements are set for April 25 in court in Waterloo."

Sounds like they will have a slew of jurors to go through, let's hope this "picking" process is very tidy and conducive to smooth sailing in the trial...

Court house photos. In which court house will Chris get to hear "guilty, guilty, guilty?" I'm looking forward to that day AND hearing the judge spew a mouth full at him after the fact, letting the creep know that as despicable as his crime was, he only added to it by not admitting his crime thus forcing the jurors and judge to see the atrocities in photos.

Judge Campanella pointed out: "a Monroe County case to be heard by a Perry County jury with a St. Clair County judge presiding."

I'm thinking I am going to be trusting that jury, my guess is that there are probably some very level heads in those parts, heads that will probably not be fooled by the gyrations of attorneys who attempt to twist the "forest" with trees.

Nick... If you are visiting Websleuths, we are looking forward to your reporting. If you can get us some photos of the setting, that would be cool.

WS members... Is anyone going to get down to the courthouse and be our eyes and ears? They start working on selecting the jury today (Tuesday).

Wrinkles

Fox2News Chris Hayes reporting this morning that, at this point, jurors will not be sequestered but will be bussed the 1 hour one way trip each day to Monroe Co. Nothing on the Fox2News site right now. I'll put the link when it's up.

Heya HOCKEY! Good to see you!

Gads... That poor jury! First they have to sit one at a time with attorneys and the "freak" in the same room -- if that doesn't make some BPs rise, what will? Then...once the jury is selected, they will have to ride 1 hour to and then from the court house? Why are they putting a jury as important as this on the highway and in "commuting" danger?

So, after all they will be at the Waterloo courthouse... Now just WHO thought of that goofy structure for setting this whole thing up. And why? So that one freak could get a "fair" trial? That isn't fair, it is tainted in the respect that he is getting special treatment for selecting his jury. ON THE OTHER HAND, I'm guessing they want to make sure that they give him every benefit of the doubt so that down the road some appeal doesn't turn anything around.

Can one of our site attorneys hop in here and help me understand why they are doing this the way that they are? Why didn't they just pick jurors around Waterloo? Why on earth was the situation set up this way?

I feel horrible for those people who are being asked to act like Spock... Really? No emotion? They are supposed to turn off feelings when they see the faces of those little boys post mortem? These jurors will never be the same after this trial :(

Wrinkles

Twitter page of Nick Pistor: http://twitter.com/nickpistor

Did anyone see this photo of some of the writing on the wall? What does it say? Something like "U have ... "

Hmmm... Yes...perhaps that is "U have paid." So Chris is the cashier?

Okay... So I am looking at the writing... Anyone have any idea how tall (exactly) Christopher Coleman is? (certainly not as tall as he was before he killed his family!)

Also, Hockey do you know what the standard stair riser and stair well handrail height is around those parts? Something like 7.5 and 34"?

As I look at the writing on the wall, I am trying to figure out a number of things about it... Done from left to right... Wondering the possible shoulder height of the person who did the spraying. I'd like to know how high the "middle" of the letters were, particularly the "U"... My guess is that the height of the center of the lettering (the majority of it) would be about the shoulder height (+ 2 or 3 inches maybe) of the person who wrote it.

I was trying to measure the stair that was stood upon, possibly, to the hand rail -- figure that is about 34" or so... Then, by comparison, the middle of the U is at about 62.33" maybe. My Son-I-L (who modeled for me) is about 5'10.5" to 5'11". I had him hold his arm/hand straight out front from the shoulder (a bit relaxed at the elbow) as if to spray at shoulder height. His spray paint finger pointing would have sprayed at about 63." I told him to act as if he was doing some grafiti... His first "top of letter" was about 66" or so... I then told him to reach up as if he was starting as high as he could (no tip toes.) -- the highest he could go was about 76." His shoulder is at about 60." So...from shoulder to top of head about 10 to 11 inches.

So...wonder Chris' height, does anyone know that?

Also...notice the writing is at two levels... The first two words in a row, the last word was written beginning at about the 4th stair from the top and adjusted higher.

Hoping that along with the handwriting analysis, they analyzed the height of the person who did that, of course they did... Worlds could probably be said about the "feel" of the writing seen...

Check Nick's twitter at about 3 hours ago...about 11am maybe?

"3 jurors have been questioned. 2 of them know about the case, the other simply declared: 'I want no part of this'"

I hope that whoever is on the jury can steel themselves from the nightmares they could have in seeing "replays" of the photos they will be shown. Those of Sheri will be very disturbing, those of the children ... well... Okay Chris...how about just fessing up and sparing these people, eh?

Wrinkles

Article updated 1:20PM trial time...

Eight jurors gone through...

Some jurors knew Coleman's family. Most said they had heard about case but could suspend judgement. One basically wanted nothing to do with the case and was dismissed. So...with 8 gone through before lunch...they should be able to get through others after lunch.

From the article...
"Jurors are being questioned primarily about their views on the death penalty, knowledge of the case, and how they will react to graphic pictures shown at trial."

There is that "react to graphic pictures" thing... Hey Chris should have to see these during the entire time they question jurors...

Wrinkles

Hi Wrinkles - been a long time since this "brilliant" [unusual person] killed his family. I don't know that I thought it would ever come to trial. Somehow, I thought his "Christian" family would come to their senses and encourage him to plead out. But, no - they are insisting he is innocent.

I understand that a parent always wants to believe in and support their children. I would be the same way with one huge exception.... if my child murdered my grandchildren, I'm afraid I would have to assist the prosecution completely. And if a child of mine murdered anyone, I would want to believe in that child, but if the evidence in my "pretend" case was anywhere near the evidence in the Coleman case, I would hope I would be able to love my child while allowing justice to take place.

I'm thinking that not only will Chris be ruined, but daddy Coleman will be financially ruined if he is indeed paying for Chris's defense.... Although I believe I remember hearing that we are paying for his defense???

I really want this trial to be televised. I want to see Chris's face when he sees the pics of his murdered family... can someone be so cold as to not feel ANYTHING when they see their own dead child? And I want his family and friends to have to hear everything their charming son did.

OTOH, I would not want to be on that jury! I read Nick Pistor's comment that one prospective juror said he didn't want to have any part of this trial. Having to live every minute of the last hours of the victims' lives would be hard to handle. I hope they provide counseling for the jurors.

And speaking of the jurors - I think they should be sequestered, but for now, they won't be. It seems there would be less chances for problems if the jury is sequestered and less chance of something going wrong. I don't want this guy getting off because of something a juror does or doesn't do.

Are the Pastor and his wife hoping that Chris beats the rap, so he may marry Tara and resume a "Christian life?"

I can only imagine what is about to come out about how this devout Christian son of theirs treated his wife....and "respected" the sacrament of marriage.

This was premeditated almost from the first that Tara let him in her bed.

The murders of his children too. He had names for the "new" ones he and Tara would have.

The fact that these parents are encouraging their son in his attempt to get away with the murder of their grandchildren and his wife...seems like the most outrageous kind of disrespect. Like his first family were throw-aways.

There's a post here somewhere, wherein a friend of Sheri's talks about her in-laws trashing their other son's ex-wife in front of the new one. I imagine Sheri could see Tara there, with her husband, in the bosom of the family...while she was ridiculed.

But this is worse.

Really horrific.

Howdy Who and St.

Just noticed that Nancy Grace site had an article up. It doesn't say much, but just maybe we will get some additional coverage going.

WhoKnew, I don't know if extra money is being paid for Chris' defense, but if there is any being paid, you can bet it isn't coming from anything Chris worked to earn. I would be in the world's worst pain if my son had done what Chris did -- God forbid :( I don't believe I could go to his trial, and I could certainly not support him in doing anything but confessing and taking his punishment without causing the world anymore pain than he already has. It is one thing when one adult murders another, it is bad, really bad, but there is just something so exceptionally perverse about a man killing his own young children and particularly with his own hands -- as personally as this was done.

Hmmm...St.MarysMead... You wrote:

"The fact that these parents are encouraging their son in his attempt to get away with the murder of their grandchildren and his wife...seems like the most outrageous kind of disrespect."

I had never thought of the possibility of financially supporting his defense in those terms, "if" the parents are doing that. Your wording really kinda nails down that which financial support of his defense would mean -- unless the parents are actually convinced that Chris just could not have done this. If they believe that, wuh oh...major severe delusion.

Wrinkles

Hey Everyone! Great posts by everyone of this thread. Ok I have been following this case from the moment it broke, as I live less than 1 mile away from the Coleman home. I will try and answer some of the questions you all asked.

Chris Coleman had 4 lawyers on his "Dream Team." 2 paid for by the State of Illinois because it is a death penalty case and he his entitled(makes me sick to use that word) to death penalty certified lawyers. The other 2 (father and son team by the name of Margulis) were hired and retained by Ron Coleman. Therefore, I would assume Ron Coleman is still paying for them.

The actual case will take place at the Monroe County Courthouse (100 S Main St Waterloo, IL 62298-1322). The jury is being selected from Perry County therefore they are holding jury selection in Pinckneyville because that is where the courthouse is located. It was reported on St. Louis news last night that they are holding the jury selection at the Knights of Columbus Hall because the courthouse is not big enough to accommodate this many people.

As for photos of the courthouse or Knights of Columbus hall, I googled both and found images of the courthouse but not the K of C. I feel like most the interviews on the news last night were done right in front of the K of C Hall. I will post links to all the St. Louis news site in another post for everyone.

Hope I have helped answer some of your questions.

CCup, what's going on at the Coleman home? Still vacant? Is it being kept up? Any news trucks there as the trial starts?

:grouphug:

I'm geared up for the trial and seeing Sheri and the boys have THEIR day in court!!! I have followed this case since before I became a mod. Sheri and the boys captured my heart!!!

I know Coleman makes all of us :sick: but remember we still can't call him names or bash him on WS. I can hear what you're saying behind the scenes and I'm with you all on that! :furious:

THANK YOU all for keeping us updated!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't have the time to do it as I did when this case broke.

:grouphug:

I'm geared up for the trial and seeing Sheri and the boys have THEIR day in court!!! I have followed this case since before I became a mod. Sheri and the boys captured my heart!!!

I know Coleman makes all of us :sick: but remember we still can't call him names or bash him on WS. I can hear what you're saying behind the scenes and I'm with you all on that! :furious:

THANK YOU all for keeping us updated!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't have the time to do it as I did when this case broke.

I also thank everyone for the updates as I can't keep up with what goes on during the day, however, this is the best place to catch up in the evening.

I don't envy those who will be chosen for the jury; this would be a very difficult trial to sit through, especially with the deaths of the innocent children in addition to Sheri. :(

Hey there Ccup and Brian!

So good to see you both! Ccup, I don't think the KofC hall was shown in that video, seems that building is in a type of country location eh? I think the one story building we saw (it has a flag pole in front in the Google street view) "may" be the jail house. The building is newer than the brick buildings on the corner of Main and Water streets. It's kinda hard to tell though, there is no sign out front that I could see. The marker in Google maps for the jail house shows at about McDonalds or some "Pops" or something, doesn't it??

Brian, I would be very curious to know if the officer who lived across the street from the Coleman's still lives there or has moved, and how the man is doing. I can't imagine that he hasn't waited for this day, just as we all have. My guess has always been that "deep down" he suspected Chris to be putting those threat letters in the mail box, but that his hands might have been tied in proving it. I can only guess what level of anger he might have at Chris (I know what my level is just knowing what he did to the man). I think of how Chris "used" him with the letters, then gave him the duty of being one of the first to find the massacre by calling him and asking him to check on the family "knowing" what the man would find if he did. At anyrate, I wonder if that officer has had to have stress, guilt or grief counseling knowing the family, knowing about the letters, perhaps feeling that Chris was involved in them, then being there to find the bodies -- or at the time they were found, just after Chris' "check on my family" call. That man was also one of Chris' victims.

So Bri and CCup, how are you? Are either of you going to be able to go sit in on court at all? How about you Hockey (although I prefer to "nick" you "Blues notes")?

BTW, in that video CCup, were those church bells ringing at the first of the film? They sure sounded like it... I would like to identify those bells, I found their ringing (if my ears served me well) a bit ironic.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
John Donne
Meditation 17
Devotions upon Emergent Occasions

"No man is an iland, intire of it selfe; every man is a peece of the Continent, a part of the maine; if a clod bee washed away by the Sea, Europe is the lesse, as well as if a Promontorie were, as well as if a Mannor of thy friends or of thine owne were; any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde; And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; It tolls for thee...."
~~~~~~~~~~~~

When you took Sheri and the children's lives, it affected us Chris -- we took note. The bells which tolled their death now seem to toll that we may all soon hear of your death, or at the very least your being put away for life.

Wrinkles

I have not gone by the house in a while, but the last I did it was still vacant with no sign in yard. The yard was being kept up and honestly it just looks like a house with no one home. I will try to drive by in the next couple of days and check it out.

Wrinkles~ those were definitely church bells ringing! You are also right about it being the court house. I have not been able to find anything about a K of C hall online, but I did come across this address: Knights of Columbus #2921, 312 N Gordon Street, Pinckneyville, Illinois 62274.

As for actually going to court, I just don't know if I could do it.

Oh and as for the Officer that lived across the street, I read in the local newspaper a while back that he left the department for a job with the DEA.

Oops,

Forgot to say "howdy" to Kimster and Panthera :seeya:

No Panthera...I don't envy the jury either. Almost certainly they will see that gorgeous picture of Sheri and the boys that we have all seen on the web. They will then see that which many people hope to never see, the "upfront and close" lifeless faces and bodies of a woman and her children slain... They will almost definitely have the pooling of blood pointed out on the bodies, the petechiae ("tiny red spots due to ruptured capillaries—are a signature injury of strangulation"), perhaps scratches at the neck where the victims may have attempted to dig in and release that which was choking them...

Those pictures, the ones of the spray paint on one of the children's beds (wasn't there some foul words on it?), the words on the wall is only going to make those jurors sick down deep. They will listen, they will hear, they may even be able to do some of that with a distancing from real human feeling, Spock like, but they will not be able to distance themselves from the obvious hateful, wicked thing that the man sitting across the courtroom with the lamb fuzz hairdo did. No lamb...

Wrinkles

HO! ATTENTION ALL...

Chris Hayes, in the video on this page, referenced a juror looking Coleman in the eyes and saying something to him. This "quote" was supposed to be talked about on the 6PM news there... Did anyone hear the juror's quote? I would like to know what the potential juror said to Coleman.

Hayes mentions, "powerful quote" and "potential juror" and "told Chris Coleman while she looked him in the eyes..." I'd sure like to know what that juror said. Did anyone hear the news? Does anyone know how to get a video that might have contained that news and quote?

Wrinkles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member